Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Showroom Model S P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If performance is important to you, you should find out which version of the battery that P90D has. You can read about the differences here. Basically it was only the most recent version of the 90 pack that is able to meet the original specs of the car.

Good luck!

I don't think the battery matters at all in this case. This is a P90D withOUT the $10,000 Ludicrous option so there's no "Max Battery Power" or Launch Mode either, AFAIK.

Folks, after a lot of thought, I've officially moved my deposit to the 100D. There was no wrong answer but for me since I'm buying it and have to seriously consider resale, I felt like having the new technology and the higher range was the overriding factor. The other part for me personally was that the 100D is plenty fast for me. I actually don't know which car for sure will be the most valuable when I go to sell it in 3 to 4 years (I think there will always be people that want P technology) but maybe bigger risk with old technology in my opinion. I will miss having the red brake calipers which I really like. I wish I could order mine with red calipers. I will likely do something special with the wheels. Thank you very much for all your comments, I appreciate it.

I will miss having the red brake calipers which I really like. I wish I could order mine with red calipers. I will likely do something special with the wheels. it.
You can buy the red brake calipers and add them if that's your style. Also you can have your existing ones colored by a good custom
Shop too. Maybe go a different color since yours will be custom and not factory ?

Hi, I was hoping to get some opinions if I reserved a good vehicle. This will be my first Tesla. I've been looking for a discounted/showroom Model S 90D or P90/85D. Speed and range are important to me and both are certainly fast enough. Trying to stay at $100k or under. I found a showroom 2016 P90D on the Tesla site and I reserved it for the $2500. Pricing seemed really low at $100k and I'm wondering why no one else grabbed it. When I inquired with my tesla salesman why it was discounted $20,000 off list he said it was because it has autopilot 1 instead of 2. It's missing some other options too. I was hoping to get your opinions if I should stick with this car or am I better off ordering a new 100D at this point (I'm ok waiting the 2 months). Thank you!
Model S P90D
Solid Black Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Figured Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
White Alcantara Headliner
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package

Thanks.

Given that it's missing Ludicrous, Premium Sound, Premium Package, Panoramic Roof, Next Gen Seats, and other options, $100K doesn't actually seem like that good of a deal. With the exception of AP1 and air suspension, it's a stripper.

The P85D without ludicrous started at $105K.

Reactions: davidc18
If performance is important to you, you should find out which version of the battery that P90D has. You can read about the differences here. Basically it was only the most recent version of the 90 pack that is able to meet the original specs of the car.

Good luck!

And that only comes into play if it had Ludicrous.

Last edited:
I think we're going in circle here and will just have to agree to disagree. Your math is right but you're approaching this on a line item by line item basis and are missing the bigger picture: a car is more than the sum of its parts and there is an intangible aspect that makes many people want to pay less for a car that is perceived as outdated overall.

Now, let's get back on topic here...OP, are you passing on that car? No matter what, you'll end up with a great car!

Another way to do this math is looking at the total price of the car and residual values. Prices of the cars are similar, however residual values will not be because they are based off of MSRP, so the heavier the initial discount, the higher the residual. Yes, you can argue that at some point in the future there will be a buyer that values leather seats more than Performance option, but that's individual choice/taste - the only thing you can go on today is residual values. Unfortunately I don't have the exact numbers for the car in question here, so we cannot do the exact math to compare. Of course you can also argue that Tesla's residuals for AP1 cars are completely wrong and they will loose their shirt when the lease returns come, but that is yet another tangential argument. Just to throw another thing into your thought process here, in 3-4 years AP2 will be just as outdated as AP1 since the latest will be AP3 or maybe even AP4.

We really should agree to disagree: the only relevant numbers when a car is purchased (not leased) are: 1) how much one paid for it and 2) how much someone is willing to pay for it after n years. Period.

If leasing, yes, the residual matters. Yes, the MSRP matters and so does the actual discounted price since the residual is based off of the MSRP while the "non residual" part is based off of the discounted price. This in turn decreases lease payments, sometimes significantly when the discount amount is large (as a percentage of the MSRP, the absolute number doesn't matter.)

There is a great thread on this from August 16 when some folks leased fully loaded inv P90DLs with lease payments that were lower than on a new, non-optioned 60, all else being equal.

Lastly, stating that AP2 will simply be as outdated as AP1 once AP3 comes out is again short sighted: you have to look beyond version numbers and understand the incremental benefits (perceived or real) of a release vs the previous one.

@hmmm, yes, I agree we should agree to disagree, If you are right, Tesla, or the leasing companies, will be losing some money on all returning AP1 cars (since the residuals would be higher than what you believe people will be willing to pay for the cars because of outdated AP technology). Only time will tell who is right.

As far as AP2, if it does everything AP1 promised (e.g. functional blind spot monitoring, summon other than straight line - actually meet you at the curb, ramp driving, etc) I will consider it a complete success (but won't pay for it as I don't think it's worth $8K, even though I could afford it, especially considering that one of my Tesla's already has AP2 hardware). If you honestly believe AP2 cars will be used for ride hailing / driving without a driver in the car being prepared to take over (as implied by Tesla for FSD), I got a bridge to sell you. ;) If I am wrong, if I can have my AP2 car drop me off at the airport in Seattle, then meet me in San Jose a day or two later, Tesla will get my money for FSD, including the post delivery $2K premium.