Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Snow Tires and TPMS fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing my winter tire buying experience and also here to see if anybody has ideas on a TPMS fault on just one of my four new wheel/tires.

I brought my Y to Detroit Wheel and Tire yesterday to get a winter set, they were able to acquire the correct Model Y TPMS sensors from Tesla to go with a new set of 18" Tesla Aero Wheels (Model 3) and some General Altimax Arctic 12 in 235/55/R18 XL 104T. Overall everything went well and the new setup does soften the drive a bit as I wanted, takes away some of the edginess which is fine for me in winter. I like the look of these and am also planning to get the aero wheel covers for road trips, planning to drive from Michigan to Florida in about a month.

When I got in after the swap all 4 tires were reporting 42 psi and I had no faults, drove for about an hour to a supercharger and after starting to drive again I had the TPMS fault and the front left tire was just indicating -- (see pic). This has remained like this ever since, and I've driven the car several times and hasn't fixed itself. Not sure if the front left was reporting at first because I still had the other set of wheels/tires inside the car or if the new front left sensor worked and then failed. Any ideas how to fix or reset this or does it sound like a bad sensor?

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 132
I had the exact same issue with my Y. Try putting one of the wheels back on from your original set on the corner that is faulting. If the error goes away, it's a bad sensor and you can take it back to Tesla for a refund/replacement. The TPMS is a bit quirky sometimes and will tell you one sensor is bad when it's actually a different corner. Mine played musical chair with me 3 times until I was able to deduce it to the actual non-working sensor. Good thing is you have a set of wheels with good sensors so you can test out all 4 corners. Good luck! :)

@mrbloons @MarioG ...

I've been told by a couple Tesla service techs the new bluetooth sensors are a little wonky. They're hit or miss really.

Service Centers should have a "bluetooth wand" that they can wave near the wheel/tire assembly to "wake" the sensor up.

If "waking" the BT sensor doesn't do the trick, you have to go through the whole rigamarole of having the shop you bought them from swap for a replacement from Tesla (unless the local Service Center does you a solid and swaps it out as a warranty...even though the wheels are aftermarket).

@mrbloons @MarioG ...

I've been told by a couple Tesla service techs the new bluetooth sensors are a little wonky. They're hit or miss really.

Service Centers should have a "bluetooth wand" that they can wave near the wheel/tire assembly to "wake" the sensor up.

If "waking" the BT sensor doesn't do the trick, you have to go through the whole rigamarole of having the shop you bought them from swap for a replacement from Tesla (unless the local Service Center does you a solid and swaps it out as a warranty...even though the wheels are aftermarket).
Good advice. Since your wheels are OEM Tesla Aero wheels, you may be able to get away with having the SC get you some diagnostic help. In my case, I have aftermarket wheels and my SA, who is always so accommodating, advised me that they wouldn't work on them due to the risk of damaging them. I guess the SC liability insurance only covers OEM parts.

First off - nice working getting the 18” aero wheels from a Model3 to work - and fitting the correct tire size to fill the wheel well on a ModelY. I was considering the same until I found a set of 19” Gemini wheels & tires on Craigslist.

In the PNW, model Y OEM wheels and tires are hard to find, but there are lots of 18” M3 but I was worried about load ratings and the width.

Glad it all worked out well - hope the rest of the TPMS challenges work themselves out.