Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires -- should I buy the Tesla full tire set? (I'm in VT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new-ish Tesla Model Y owner here...

I'm in northern VT, we get some real snow. So winter tires are something I'm going to want.

Tesla sells a set for about $2k which look like they come with the wheels so I can just swap from set to set easy and store the other set in the barn. Am I correct about that? Are they reasonable winter tires or should I be looking at another solution?

On my prior EV putting winter tires on dropped the range a fair bit (I'm guessing they had more rolling resistance then the stock tires, they were not EV specific tires, I already knew I would be retiring the EV for an all wheel drive EV before next winter so I didn't want to spend too much on single year tires!), do these winter tires have a similar range drop or are they closer to the tires the car came with?

Again I'm in northern VT, the Tesla website says the tires ship to a service center and I need to go there and they put 'em on. Has anyone gotten them shipped to their home so the can do something more local (my nearest Tesla service centers are like a half day's drive, which at least since I own a Tesla is a present half day! It is still a lot of time though!)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV

Between here, FB Marketplace, Craigslist, you can likely find a set of 19 inch Geminis ($500 - 1,000) and buy your preferred winter tire.

Lots of opinions "all weather" type tires (MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2) versus dedicated winter tires.

For me (Colorado Front Range, frequent ski season travel, maybe similar to your VT situation) I opted for a dedicated set of wheels. With my floor jack and cordless impact wrench, I can swap wheels in 15 -30 minutes if/when I want to. Cost of dedicated winter wheel set is about 1.5 - 2x my insurance deductible if I hit something, plus peace of mind when driving...

I had the Nokian R3s on my Model 3, reasonable balance of range loss/traction gain. I expect the same with the Nokian R5 EVs. Other tire I considered (highly ranked, similar to Nokian) was the Michelin X-Ice Snow. The Tesla option is a great option, easy to procure.

BLUF: Don't wait; order the Gemini Winter Tire package for the Model Y right away if you will need winter tires. The Tesla Gemini Winter tire and wheel package is in stock (a rare sight) and you want it grab it while you can. The price is reasonable, includes the Gemini wheels, Pirelli tires and TPMS sensors.

Other winter wheel and tire packages are available from Tirerack, TSportline but you would need to purchase a set of 4 TPMS sensors.

Drivers who run winter tires on their vehicles usually have their favorite winter tire. Michelin (X-Ice), Nokian (Hakka yada yada yada), and Bridgestone (Blizzak) winter tires each have their fans. These tires are available in 19" and in some cases 18" (would require different/non-Tesla wheels.) Tesla Service/ Tesla Mobile Service will only mount Tesla wheels on Tesla vehicles. Something to consider if you plan to have Tesla install/swap the all-season wheels and tire set for the winter set.

I have a 2018 Model 3 AWD in Denver. I went the first year with the stock tires. It was OK, but a little slippy. The next year I did what you ask about and bought a complete set of winter tires and wheels from Tesla. I didn't feel like researching alternates. They are much much more secure feeling than the all seasons that come with the car. As another poster pointed out, I can quickly swap the sets myself. Don't put off swapping back to the all-seasons once you're past the snow season. I wore down a few of my winter tires prematurely because I fiddled around and left them on too long.

Reactions: Pricedm
The Tesla package is hard to beat - $2250/4 = ~$560/corner. The cheapest 255/45R19 winter tire on tirerack.com is $235. Add another $100 for TPMS sensors, $25 for mount/balance, and that leaves you $200 each for wheels, at best.

I had hoped to order the Tesla package and have it installed by mobile service (plus, no sales tax for NH delivery), but it doesn't look like it'll work out. I just got off the phone with Latham Service. The order needs to be shipped to a service center for mounting/balancing (sometimes they get a pre-mounted order, sometime not). They can change the service order to mobile service and have the mobile tech pick them up and install at your house.

BUT - there are 2 mobile techs that cover VT/NH. One regularly goes to Latham for parts (and could pick up the mounted set). The other, who covers my area, has a self-storage parts warehouse and doesn't go to Latham often, if ever. So I'm out of luck. @stripes - I would place the order now (winter tires are hard to find if you wait too long). Have it shipped to Latham. Then call/email Latham service and see if they can change to mobile service.

I did check Canadian pricing on the package (road trip to Montreal!), but the CAD price is so high it's a wash when converted to USD.

place the order now (winter tires are hard to find if you wait too long). Have it shipped to Latham. Then call/email Latham service and see if they can change to mobile service.
Thanks for the advice. I placed the order w/ Tesla but the card transaction failed, for multiple cards and both apple pay and direct via the card number. The credit cards said they never saw a charge request, and Tesla's 800 number couldn't figure out what happened and have me make a service appointment. They did confirm I can have the service done in Quebec (the service center there is only 65 miles from me!). So I'm giving the a shot.

I think the service apartment will generate another online transaction to pay (they don't have point of sale terminals at the service center), so I hope I can pay that one (I'm going to try to have them issue the bill before so I can confirm I can pay it, because if they put on tires and the payment fails I'm not really expecting them to give me the package for free!).

I have paid for superchargers power, floor mats, and the deposit on the car via the app successfully, so hopefully this will work out to be a thing payment works for as opposed to failing for.

Exactly, just swap every season. Those Sottozero 3's are legitimate snow tires and should get you through anything. Excellent ratings on Tire Rack, you can't go wrong.

Edit: range dropped 10% versus all season tires
My personal view is that the Sottozero is an acceptable snow tire but not a great one by any means. I don't really even think I'd prefer it over something like the Nokian WR, and you could run those year-round. The (studless!) Hakkapellitas and the Blizzaks are a cut above.

Last edited:
Can you buy just the wheels from Tesla?
Not via the web store. Call your service center. When I bought my S in 2016, I contacted the service center and bought a set of 4 wheels ($300 ea, TPMS extra) and brought them a set of Hakka R2's to them for mount/balance. They agreed to use a non-standard tire when I pointed out it was Tesla-approved tire in Norway.

My personal view is that the Sottozero is an acceptable snow tire but not a great one by any means. I don't really even think I'd prefer it over something like the Nokian WR, and you could run those year-round. The (studless!) Hakkapellitas and the Blizzaks are a cut above.
Agreed. I'm just looking at the Tesla package as a good price on wheels, TPMS, and acceptable winter tires that will be replaced (when the Sottozero's wear out) by Hakka R5's, R6's or whatever the the current model is.

Can anyone recommend a performance snow tire? I still want great handling on dry days.
It's just not a thing, if you want summer tire levels of performance. There are a few tires like the Nokian WR I mentioned earlier which will probably match the dry pavement performance of the stock all season tires but I don't think you'll do better than that - and these "all weather" tires are only so-so snow tires, too.