Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New software update shrunk the Gear and Miles, Too Small to See

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new software update has drastically shrunk down the Gear (drive, reverse etc) and the Miles remaining indicators. Its also moved to left. It is very hard to see and dangerous as a result. I don't see a setting to adjust it. Please help. Or un-do this change. Its dangerous to not clearly see if you're in D or R. And you have to strain to see now and forces you to take your eyes off the road. Pic attached. Awful, dangerous change. Please help fix.

Attachments

• 29E06FE5-E03E-4ADB-83E6-94FAF3240834.jpeg
    29E06FE5-E03E-4ADB-83E6-94FAF3240834.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 125
In the picture, it is clearly in P to me. Is it not clear to you? The D is also another color when selected. Hopefully, you're stopped before switching gears and not trying to distinguish between them while you're driving at speed.

I agree that the size could be too small so I'm not trying to deny your concerns. I'm just suggesting how to cope before Tesla addresses the issue.

...And you have to strain to see now and forces you to take your eyes off the road. Pic attached. Awful, dangerous change. Please help fix.

If you are checking, if you find it necessary to check which gear you are in while you are actually moving - in D or R, well you are doing this wrong. Wait until you stop then look at the gear you are in if you don't already know. Then its okay to take your eyes off the road.

Hello Slim, welcome to the forums. I think we should first make it clear that this is a fan forum. Your post makes it sound like you are putting in a request to Tesla to make changes to your car. This website is not run by Tesla, it is just a place for regular (and not so regular) people to chat about their cars and their experiences with them.

There is nothing that we can do for you here about your font size.

If you are checking, if you find it necessary to check which gear you are in while you are actually moving - in D or R, well you are doing this wrong. Wait until you stop then look at the gear you are in if you don't already know. Then its okay to take your eyes off the road.
Don’t blame OP for Tesla’s horrible design choices.

I wasn't. I was pointing out that's not the proper method for driving.
But you were. Saying they shouldn’t be looking at what gear they are in is the same as saying they shouldn’t be looking at what radio station is on, what the speedo reading is, whether the headlight icon is on, etc...

This information is displayed on the cluster for a reason. If you don’t want to look at it, that’s fine but don’t suggest OP is “wrong” for doing so.

The new software update has drastically shrunk down the Gear (drive, reverse etc) and the Miles remaining indicators. Its also moved to left. It is very hard to see and dangerous as a result. I don't see a setting to adjust it. Please help. Or un-do this change. Its dangerous to not clearly see if you're in D or R. And you have to strain to see now and forces you to take your eyes off the road. Pic attached. Awful, dangerous change. Please help fix.
I would highly recommend scheduling a visit for an eye exam. :rolleyes:
Think of all the other people on the road.

I would highly recommend scheduling a visit for an eye exam. :rolleyes:
Think of all the other people on the road.

@mspisars: Your response is WAAAAY off base and, frankly, vile. The dude's correct. This Holiday Update messed with some pretty fundamental decisions about how and where to present the *speedometer* and gear that the vehicle is in, and in ways that are baffling to a lot of people. The speedometer, for example, is arguably the most important, most-used indicator while driving. It was formerly in a nice large font and centered separately from other indicators for clear, quick viewing. Now, it's in a messy row with other similarly-sized indicators all sort of lumped together. He's also not wrong that the gear indications are smaller. Just because you can make out what the letters are while sitting at a computer looking at his screen shot (and not driving, with lots of other things to pay attention to) is not relevant. Basically, the new layout is a friggin' god-awful mess, tons of people agree, and you telling the poster to get an eye exam is farcical. Cut it out, dude.

Sorry to answer the same in every thread ; but posting in public forum has limited impact. If you feel this update is a joke ; most people do ; please - e-mail your Tesla garage ; twit Elon (if he’s out of his Hawaï vacation) ; and open a support ticket.

Make your voice heard as a customer .

Sorry to answer the same in every thread ; but posting in public forum has limited impact. If you feel this update is a joke ; most people do ; please - e-mail your Tesla garage ; twit Elon (if he’s out of his Hawaï vacation) ; and open a support ticket.

Make your voice heard as a customer .

Absolutely. If anyone else agrees the crazy changes Tesla made to the display of the most important driving information with this "holiday update", I strongly urge everyone to contact them. For my part, I already sent Tesla emails about this, posted in the Tesla-managed user forum on their site, and had a long chat session with an online Tesla support chat representative today.

I also had my Model Y "forget" all WiFi networks in the hope this dangerous, ill-considered update will never get installed in my vehicle until they undo this. If we're lucky, they'll undo the crazy and somewhat dangerous changes to the speedometer display and other aspects or at least give users the option to revert back to the previous display they've been using in the next update.

Here's the link to get in touch with Tesla:

Tesla SSO - Sign In

Saying they shouldn’t be looking at what gear they are in is the same as saying they shouldn’t be looking at what radio station is on, what the speedo reading is, whether the headlight icon is on, etc...

I don’t like the new arrangement, either, but saying that looking at the display to determine if you’re in D or R when you’re already moving down the highway is not the same as looking at the radio station, or speedometer, or headlight icon. I would think looking out the window is a better way to determine which way the car is headed. The other 3, and more, need to remain large so that you can quickly read them while you’re driving.

Reactions: tranzndance
Do people seriously not know when they put their car in reverse? Should those people really be driving?

@nomis_nehc: People are *constantly* interrupted or distracted while sitting in their cars preparing to leave (e.g., by phone calls, kid in backseat, dog walkers in front of driveway, something overheard on news radio, etc.). It is *very* possible someone parks, changes their mind about the spot while the car is still in Park, thinks they've entered Reverse already, and hits the accelerator, slamming into something. I myself have almost fallen prey to this in my Model Y once or twice before catching myself. Luckily, the front-facing radar sensor and ultrasound ones in the front fenders warned me.

By your logic, older automatic transmission cars with physical gear shift stalks never needed the gear indicator and people should've just "remembered" what gear the vehicle was in all the time. Stop, dude. Just stop.