Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New solar installation with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing a new installation with Tesla for the Solar Panels and got a few questions for those who have Solars with Tesla

1. SolarEdge vs. Delta Inverter - Originally Tesla said they will be using SolarEdge inverter but after the system design phase, an Delta Solivia 5.2TL inverter is used. Is there a big difference between the two inverters? Is the Delta Inverter still utilizing the power optimizer capability Tesla promised?

2. Power Optimizer part - I was given the part list (with the Delta Inverter) and I do not find any part for the power optimizer. The advisor said the optimizer is now part of the solar panel (Panasonic SC SC325). Though from reading reviews, I was expecting the power optimizer from Solar Edge with part numbers ex: P300 / P400.

3. My system is a 18 panels (325W) - total to 5.85kW. However the inverter proposed were in the 5000W range (Delta 5200, SolarEdge 5000), is that normal to be less than the system max capacity?

1. I got a Delta inverter with my setup. Basically I was told if there was little to no shade the Delta would be fine. My understanding is the SolarEdge is the one with the power optimizer. Do you have much shade on your system? I have shade for about an hour in the afternoon, so I kinda wish I had the SolarEdge.

2. I'll let someone else more knowledgeable on the panasonic panels. I have Trina panels without any kind of optimizer.

3. That is normal. The 5.85 kW that they quoted you is DC power. The inverter is AC power. The only time you would go over the limit is if your panels had the perfect angle to the sun and no shading, which is unlikely generally speaking. My 7.5 kW system rarely hits the 6.7 kW max AC output of my Delta 6.7 inverter, and on my 6.3 kW system it hasn't yet hit the limit of my 5.2 kW Delta 5.2 inverter. I think what you will see is a flattened out top of your solar graph if you do get clipping from having too small of an inverter, but those numbers sound pretty close to me so you should be fine.

Shygar, thanks a lot for the response.

I have a flat roof and its not getting much of shades (aside from the tree in front of the house in the late afternoon). They are currently redesigning for a SolarEdge inverter option (supposedly no costs difference). However, the advisor forwarded the designer response that using SolarEdge may reduce the production output. I'll see how much of a difference it results in.

Overall I know ultimately its the production output that matters the most, but I just feel that going with SolarEdge (w/ optimizer) was what drives me to select Tesla vs. the micro-inverter option. Though it seems that ultimately, I am back to a string inverter setup which I think if thats the case, the costs should/may go down further.

Shygar, thanks a lot for the response.

I have a flat roof and its not getting much of shades (aside from the tree in front of the house in the late afternoon). They are currently redesigning for a SolarEdge inverter option (supposedly no costs difference). However, the advisor forwarded the designer response that using SolarEdge may reduce the production output. I'll see how much of a difference it results in.

Overall I know ultimately its the production output that matters the most, but I just feel that going with SolarEdge (w/ optimizer) was what drives me to select Tesla vs. the micro-inverter option. Though it seems that ultimately, I am back to a string inverter setup which I think if thats the case, the costs should/may go down further.
Do you happen to need a referral code?

Sorry pkodali, I was already 'locked' to the referral code when I first signed up from Home Depot.

Just an update from the adviser with regard to SolarEdge vs. Delta

When the adviser first estimate my annual production, it was 8.9 kWh. After an official design came and I found that it was then switched to Delta, the production dropped down to 8.2kWh; I've questioned the adviser and he claimed that it was due to an more accurate calculation. Now that I've requested to switch back to SolarEdge (the model will be 5000) the total production has bumped back UP to 9.2kWh.

So I think their claim of having SolarEdge will bring down the production was not accurate afterall.

Sorry pkodali, I was already 'locked' to the referral code when I first signed up from Home Depot.

Just an update from the adviser with regard to SolarEdge vs. Delta

When the adviser first estimate my annual production, it was 8.9 kWh. After an official design came and I found that it was then switched to Delta, the production dropped down to 8.2kWh; I've questioned the adviser and he claimed that it was due to an more accurate calculation. Now that I've requested to switch back to SolarEdge (the model will be 5000) the total production has bumped back UP to 9.2kWh.

So I think their claim of having SolarEdge will bring down the production was not accurate afterall.

Where did you find a breakdown of actual equipment? I haven't seen that in any of my documentation.

My understanding is that I cannot get the extra 5 years of warranty. When Home Depot initiates the original appointment, one can no longer claim that someone else was the referrer.
I would definitely try emailing Tesla about this, since that doesn't seem right. Depending on how far along you are, might be worth cancelling the home depot one for the warranty

I have a similar questions. I also was walking through Home Depot and set up an apt to have somebody come give me a quote. Originally my sale guy said I could not get the 25 year warranty. I told him I had a model 3 and asked if I could use my code to get the 25 year warranty as Sun Power offered me a 25 year warranty. He said he would check into and came back and said yes I could. Here is where it gets weird. He put on my proposal that I get a 25 year warranty but on my actual paperwork that I am supposed to sign it says 20 years. I questioned him about it and he said " Oh we don't put the 25 years on the final paperwork as it is on your proposal" I said well I am not signing anything unless it says 25 years. Anybody that has signed up with a 25 year warranty have their final paperwork they can look at? I don't know if this guy is just trying to pull a fast one.

Also how do you know what brand inverter you are getting? I looked at my paperwork and it says nothing about it.

Thank you
20 Year.JPG

So, if you are an owner, definitely don't use HD? What do you they add to the equation? Just for people that never heard of Tesla Energy?

Yeah, or people who have heard of Tesla Energy, but just haven't bothered to set up a consultation, yet, like me.

All Home Depot does is refer you to the same Tesla advisers that you would talk to either way. They are involved only to get people to schedule a first meeting, and then you never hear from them again.

Reactions: boaterva