Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR+ Auto Line Change don't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but actually true since what I told you is what it actually says in both places cited.

And it's not like you haven't been shown screenshots of them with the word enhanced circled in red the last 10 times it was brought up either.
I never said enhanced was not mentioned but the section heading is AutoPilot in big letters. Lane change is in the SAME list as TACC and auto steer. Please show me a Tesla document that is posted that breaks out TACC and Auto steer as AutoPilot and lane change as the older no longer available Enhanced AutoPilot.

I never said enhanced was not mentioned but the section heading is AutoPilot in big letters. Lane change is in the SAME list as TACC and auto steer. Please show me a Tesla document that is posted that breaks out TACC and Auto steer as AutoPilot and lane change as the older no longer available Enhanced AutoPilot.

Your question doesn't even make sense.

The owners manual you keep screaming about was written before the new basic AP existed

It explicitly points out that the descriptions it gives for all driver assist features related to autosteer and TACC only apply to cars with EAP or FSD.

Again, page 65 of the manual-

Model 3 Manuall said:
These convenience features, designed to reduce driver workload, are available only if your Tesla vehicle is equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full SelfDriving Capability packages:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (see TrafficAware Cruise Control on page 67).
• Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 73).

So pretending there's any reason to think they ALSO apply to a new package, that is not Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving- and that didn't even exist when that was written, continues to be nonsensical.

The new basic AP has entirely different versions of those features and isn't covered at all by the current version of the manual.

As explained to you repeatedly previously with that exact quote shown.

I absolutely agree they should update the manual to describe the new package and ITS features too, but that doesn't magically make the descriptions of other packages specifically called out as different ones in the manual any more relevant.

Your question doesn't even make sense.

The owners manual you keep screaming about was written before the new basic AP existed

It explicitly points out that the descriptions it gives for all driver assist features related to autosteer and TACC only apply to cars with EAP or FSD.

Again, page 65 of the manual-

So pretending there's any reason to think they ALSO apply to a new package, that is not Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving- and that didn't even exist when that was written, continues to be nonsensical.

The new basic AP has entirely different versions of those features and isn't covered at all by the current version of the manual.

As explained to you repeatedly previously with that exact quote shown.

I absolutely agree they should update the manual to describe the new package and ITS features too, but that doesn't magically make the descriptions of other packages specifically called out as different ones in the manual any more relevant.
Tesla should have also defined it when they offered it for sale. I still can’t find on their website what is different between AutoPilot and Enhanced AutoPilot. The manual and firmware have been updated twice since I purchased AutoPilot. It would not be hard to keep that online manual in sync with the cars capabilities. The online manual mentions Sentry mode but they never documented any differences between AutoPilot and Enhanced AutoPilot.

Typically if you disengage autosteer by turning the wheel, TACC stays on (at least it always has on EAP cars)

So suggestion 1 is already how it works except the blinker is irrelevant, it disables when you turn the wheel enough and you can reenable it after you change lanes.

Are you saying on AP-only cars that both autosteer AND TACC fully disengage if you simply move the wheel to disable autosteer?

Admittedly I've only used AP 3-4 times since I got the car last Sunday but yeah, it seems that they both disengage. That's why I posted to see if I was doing something wrong. Admittedly I wasn't overly focused on just this aspect of the drive at the time but it sounds like this is the expected behavior - I'm going to try out some of the suggestions here, find an empty stretch of highway and methodically test this out a little more. Ty to those that made some suggestions.

I didn't buy AP and I didn't realize Lane change was part of FSD.
I am on 60 day free trial.
If I decide to purchase AP It is $3500.
FSD is $5500.
For now, neither has proven worthy enough to me.

Maybe if the whole package was $5500....but they make you purchase both. After delivery thats 11k(or in your case $9k). Its insane. Regular AP is included on most cars now adays..its basically adaptive cruise control. If AP had Lane change with the blinker it would be worth $3k...without it its not. I purchased AP and I regret it. Its a pain on the highway to keep disengaging and engaging AP just to pass someone. Sure the speed stays the same but you still have to engaged it....also doesnt help the Chime that goes off when you have a sleeping child in back.

Tesla should have also defined it when they offered it for sale. I still can’t find on their website what is different between AutoPilot and Enhanced AutoPilot. The manual and firmware have been updated twice since I purchased AutoPilot. It would not be hard to keep that online manual in sync with the cars capabilities. The online manual mentions Sentry mode but they never documented any differences between AutoPilot and Enhanced AutoPilot.

From the Model 3 configuration page:

Autopilot

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Select Option$3,000
$4,000 if added after delivery

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Select Option$5,000
Requires Autopilot

$7,000 upgrade if added after delivery

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

So while it doesn't say specifically that the lane change function has been moved from what was EAP to FSD, it does say that AP only does things within its lane.

Maybe if the whole package was $5500....but they make you purchase both. After delivery thats 11k(or in your case $9k). Its insane. Regular AP is included on most cars now adays

I see people say this a lot, but then every time someone checks whatever "most" car they're talking about it's a paid option (or requires a higher trim version of the car) and usually doesn't work as well as Teslas system either.

I see people say this a lot, but then every time someone checks whatever "most" car they're talking about it's a paid option (or requires a higher trim version of the car) and usually doesn't work as well as Teslas system either.

Most manufactures have adaptive cruise control...for example..Toyota calls there "Saftey sense" and has most if not all the features AP has. Its also available in most of their cars in 2019. I'm sure Teslas works better but still is basically the same thing. With Enhanced AP gone away, AP is a tough sell without Lane Change

It's that virtual thing, features can come and go. I just got the update, haven't driven it yet, so I truly have no idea what my car can and cannot do. Any day we might find something wasn't listed in the fine print, and so it's gone to extra cost heaven. But don't worry, this is getting to be like Apple, in that we'll shortly hear more about how it's your fault.

But before the avalanche, let me opine that Tesla will retain the True Believers, no matter what they do. But word gets around. The hardcore believers have already voted, spent their money. They have nothing more to say. I want Tesla to grow. The broader public is key, now. The general public has not accepted Apple's ways, and they won't take it from Tesla either.

Last edited:
It's that virtual thing, features can come and go. I just got the update, haven't driven it yet, so I truly have no idea what my car can and cannot do. Any day we might find something wasn't listed in the fine print, and so it's gone to extra cost heaven. But don't worry, this is getting to be like Apple, in that we'll shortly hear more about how it's your fault.

But before the avalanche, let me opine that Tesla will retain the True Believers, no matter what they do. But word gets around. The hardcore believers have already voted, spent their money. They have nothing more to say. I want Tesla to grow. The broader public is key, now. The general public has not accepted Apple's ways, and they won't take it from Tesla either.

Agreed. No matter what you say, the True Believers will always defend. But like you said, in order for Tesla to grow they have to become more affordable to the majority. The perception to most is Tesla only sells $100k cars. I have showed my friends and strangers my M3, and all of them say the same thing, "wow, doesnt that cost $60 thousand?" So then I tell them no, they start at 35-37k now. Then the next question is "does it really drive itself?" So then I have to say, well kind of but not really yet. Also, that cost $8-$11k more depending if you buy at purchase" So now a car just went from 35k to 45k. Everyone thinks its bundled in but its not. I'm not saying it should be, I'm just saying we are still a long ways off from the mass market being educated about the electric market or Teslas in general.

Reactions: Big Earl
Most manufactures have adaptive cruise control...for example..Toyota calls there "Saftey sense" and has most if not all the features AP has. Its also available in most of their cars in 2019. I'm sure Teslas works better but still is basically the same thing. With Enhanced AP gone away, AP is a tough sell without Lane Change

Yeah- that confirms my point.

Folks go "all these other cars come with that now!" but when you ask for details they mean "All those cars will allow you to pay extra $ to get that now" which is a very very different thing (no better than Tesla, and worse when they don't work as well).

(and if one works like crap and the other works great, that's not "basically the same thing" for example the loaner I had from Lexus a bit over a year ago would just turn itself off below 35 mph....which is garbage compared to TACC)

And how we feel, what we project, whenever we talk with these mass market people, determines Tesla's future.

And honestly, I'm surprised at how easily my feelings fluctuate, depending on how much I feel Tesla is on my side. How much we're in this together. And that affects even my attitude towards the software, how much I trust and use the AP. Call it crazy, but that's what I observe.

Reactions: Big-T
-- US smartphone shipments Q4 2018 was 47% share for Apple... more than 2x the next nearest (samsung)... seems like they've accepted Apples ways pretty solidly....

Hmmm. "Though Apple leads the industry in terms of profit share, its share of worldwide smartphone shipments is quite small -- 11.9% during the third quarter, per Gartner." And there are macs vs PC, tablets, etc. Long story ...

Last edited:
-- US smartphone shipments Q4 2018 was 47% share for Apple... more than 2x the next nearest (samsung)... seems like they've accepted Apples ways pretty solidly....

Hmmm. "Though Apple leads the industry in terms of profit share, its share of worldwide smartphone shipments is quite small -- 11.9% during the third quarter, per Gartner." And there are macs vs PC, tablets, etc. Long story ...

Worldwide (your #) vs US (my number).

Folks in low income countries can't afford $1000 phones the way people in the US can.

Since the vast majority of Teslas sold are in the US that seemed the more relevant stat than worldwide.

That said- even with a significant decline overseas, Apple still manages to be #2 in market share worldwide despite high prices as of Q4 2018

Only Samsung beats them worldwide, and only by a few percent.

Apple iPhone Sales Tanked at the End of 2018

During the fourth quarter of 2018, global iPhone sales hit 64.5 million units, earning Apple 15.8% market share during the period.

...Samsung’s market share fell from 18.2% to 17.3%, but it was still the top smartphone seller during the period.

So again, the idea Apples methods aren't widely accepted is pretty unsupportable.... #1 by a mile in US market share... #2 worldwide among all phone makers.... (and #1 by a bunch in profit per unit sold too)