Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger Charge Limiting Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
We took a trip today that included a Supercharger session in the middle of the planned trip. Nav showed that we only needed to spend 10 minutes charging to reach our destination with a 20% reserve. Normally, we get out, use bathrooms, find a snack and go for a brief walk. & just let the car charge in the meantime. Our destination doesn’t have Superchargers, so I wanted to get extra charge at this stop. BTW, I have unlimited Supercharging.

Today, the system cut off our charging session after 10-15 minutes, apparently based on our route plan. We were nowhere near the 80% limit that many busy Superchargers impose. Is this a new policy anticipating many more non-Tesla customers?

We took a trip today that included a Supercharger session in the middle of the planned trip. Nav showed that we only needed to spend 10 minutes charging to reach our destination with a 20% reserve. Normally, we get out, use bathrooms, find a snack and go for a brief walk. & just let the car charge in the meantime. Our destination doesn’t have Superchargers, so I wanted to get extra charge at this stop. BTW, I have unlimited Supercharging.

Today, the system cut off our charging session after 10-15 minutes, apparently based on our route plan. We were nowhere near the 80% limit that many busy Superchargers impose. Is this a new policy anticipating many more non-Tesla customers?
Did you get an app notification that charging had stopped?

It's not related to your trip. The charger probably had a fault.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A Tesla tech was working on the power cabinets at the time, but his work was related to charger stands he had blocked off & weren’t in use. I’m driving back the same route tonight, and I’ll try the same Supercharger again.

I also have a 100 pack with free charging. This is from yesterday:

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 10.39.44.png

It seems odd to me that you'd get notified charging was going to stop if it was due to anything going on at the charger (notification that charging stopped, yes, but not that it will). IF you also got a notification that it was going to stop, I wonder if that could be a new behavior for locations with over x% in use, but if you didn't, then I'd definitely chalk it up to the work causing an interruption after you luckily had enough charge.