Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger expansion model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need it. Ruby Tuesday's been losing money for years. Hmm, with this they might become profitable once the Model 3 is being produced. Maybe Tesla should make a bid...

I also haven't been to Ruby Tuesday's for a while either. The menu was dull, although the atmosphere was more pleasant than other places. But maybe that's their problem. :p

There used to be a Ruby Tuesday's in Vancouver, WA that we went to a few times, but it closed about 5 years ago. They probably couldn't compete in this market.

Different people have different priorities I guess.

In the last year of owning a Tesla I have driven rather than flown several times. The reasons are simple.
1) I hate standing in endless lines at the airport security check points only to be treated like a criminal for no reason.
2) When I get to my destination I then have to pay money to drive a piece of **** rental car that is just horrible to drive.

When I drive the Tesla I get to spend more time driving the best car ever built along with avoiding the 2 things mentioned above. I have also had some great conversations with people that have never seen a Tesla and that is fun. There are often things along the way that I would otherwise miss.

Yes it takes more time and the money I spend on Hotels negates the part of what I would have spent on air fare, but the experience is much more enjoyable and isn't that what travel is supposed to be about?

In the last 15 years flying has gone from annoying to one of the lower circles of hell. the security is not only invasive, it's poor to boot. Not that I'm all that worried about terrorism on flights. It's highly unlikely any organized effort is going to be done to reattempt anything that has been done before.

With my long legs economy class is often pretty uncomfortable, but otherwise the flying itself isn't so bad.

I'd much rather drive than fly, I'm glad I got a great road car.

Most of the Sheetz locations in my area have been expanded within the last 5 years. They are now rather large convenience stores. They offer all sorts of hot food now. Their subs are really good - much better than Subway. They have decent places to actually sit and eat. If you're going to be stuck at a supercharger for 30 minutes, I'd rather grab an inexpensive sandwich at Sheetz sometimes instead of eating at some hotel's overpriced restaurant. It's really a nice choice.

Besides, the smart refueling station owners need to start planning now for downfall of internal combustion vehicles.

I agree with this... Sheetz is my preferred location for roadside food convenience stores if I'm on the go.

Found this map today - thought it might be interesting to see who chains can offer coverage in which areas!

sJOYHob.png

Back to the Sheetz I'm heavily in favor of......
The blue circles are current spots they could just slap some stalls in.
red circles are where they could take out some landscaping and make the SC area a little larger if they had to.

Seeing as this would be a gap-filler, and nowhere near the usage of say...Newark, DE, you're not talking about 16 stalls. Maybe 4.

Point being...most of those are away from the pumps.

We get it, you don't like ICE vehicles. But they still far outnumber EVs on the roads. You can sit in a bunker until they're gone, or learn to coexist while they fade away. :)

View attachment 183470
It is truly awesome that SHEETZ locations are so huge. That certainly makes them a lot more likely to be able to properly accommodate Supercharger stalls. But you must understand that the sort of suggestions you are making about changing their parking lot are precisely the type that must go under a review and approval process by a local municipality.

Most public facilities are under specific regulations that govern the minimum number of parking spaces for the site. Dependent upon the maximum occupant capacity of the building, and the size of its public floorplan, a specific amount of parking spaces must be available, and a certain number of those must be handicapped accessible. Also, for the site as a whole, there is generally a minimum amount of land that must be dedicated to planting greenery. And, there is a certain given setback distance from the main street before the parking lot or constructed buildings may begin.

Those green areas are not merely decorative, but mandatory. You can't just take them out at will. And you cannot rearrange them or eliminate them without getting the new site design approved.

At places that have far more parking spaces and a higher greenery level than mandated, it is a lot easier to get approvals to add Superchargers. The problem is that even large malls or shopping centers typically don't use any more real estate for parking than is absolutely necessary. They try to put as much of the footprint of the building on the available real estate as possible. So, it is rare that there is 'extra space'. That is why so many of Tesla Motors' current partners for Superchargers must have stalls that are not exclusive to their cars alone. Those spaces are shared instead, even if there is a sign that says 'Tesla Charging', there is an understanding that when the parking lot is full, those spaces may be used by other cars as well.

It is truly awesome that SHEETZ locations are so huge. That certainly makes them a lot more likely to be able to properly accommodate Supercharger stalls. But you must understand that the sort of suggestions you are making about changing their parking lot are precisely the type that must go under a review and approval process by a local municipality.

Most public facilities are under specific regulations that govern the minimum number of parking spaces for the site. Dependent upon the maximum occupant capacity of the building, and the size of its public floorplan, a specific amount of parking spaces must be available, and a certain number of those must be handicapped accessible. Also, for the site as a whole, there is generally a minimum amount of land that must be dedicated to planting greenery. And, there is a certain given setback distance from the main street before the parking lot or constructed buildings may begin.

Those green areas are not merely decorative, but mandatory. You can't just take them out at will. And you cannot rearrange them or eliminate them without getting the new site design approved.

At places that have far more parking spaces and a higher greenery level than mandated, it is a lot easier to get approvals to add Superchargers. The problem is that even large malls or shopping centers typically don't use any more real estate for parking than is absolutely necessary. They try to put as much of the footprint of the building on the available real estate as possible. So, it is rare that there is 'extra space'. That is why so many of Tesla Motors' current partners for Superchargers must have stalls that are not exclusive to their cars alone. Those spaces are shared instead, even if there is a sign that says 'Tesla Charging', there is an understanding that when the parking lot is full, those spaces may be used by other cars as well.

In many places, I would agree, but you haven't been to FarmVegas......

In the last 15 years flying has gone from annoying to one of the lower circles of hell. the security is not only invasive, it's poor to boot. Not that I'm all that worried about terrorism on flights. It's highly unlikely any organized effort is going to be done to reattempt anything that has been done before.

I've flown Southwest now and then over the years and always thought they did a good job, but being 6' tall and 300 lbs, the idea that I can fit into one of those airplane seats and not have any overlap into the next seat is a funny joke.

If airlines REALLY wanted to show that they care about a positive flight experience, they'd reduce the seating from 6 per row to 5 and put in wider seats that normal Americans can fit into!

I've flown Southwest now and then over the years and always thought they did a good job, but being 6' tall and 300 lbs, the idea that I can fit into one of those airplane seats and not have any overlap into the next seat is a funny joke.

If airlines REALLY wanted to show that they care about a positive flight experience, they'd reduce the seating from 6 per row to 5 and put in wider seats that normal Americans can fit into!

Stick with the Tesla.

United Airlines hunts for more revenue in its seats

Quote:

Passengers also should expect to see more narrow, "slimline" seats on domestic flights as United squeezes more seats onto its aircraft. It's also going to fly fewer small, 50-seat aircraft. United said it expects to have half the number of 50-seat regional aircraft by 2019, according to the company's most recent annual report.

It's frustrating that as westerners get bigger, airline seat space gets smaller. I've heard that Samoan Airlines has particularly difficult problems with their passengers because Samoans are among the heaviest people in the world (on average).

I'm only a few pounds over what I think is my optimum weight, but all my height is in my legs. In economy my knees are buried in the seat in front of me even when it's in the "fully upright position". I have to be a jerk and tell the person in front they can't recline their seat. Even a little bit crushes my kneecaps. On regional airliners I usually have to sit sideways with my legs at an angle.

I can sit in an emergency row if I'm on my own, but not with my SO, she can't in clear conscience claim she can open the door in an emergency. She has the coolness under fire to do it, but she doesn't have the body strength.

I'm happy with their placement anywhere as long as they have things I can use that time for - getting something to eat, etc.

Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana have about 8 superchargers located at Meijer (grocery) locations. Helps, of course, that an early Tesla adopter and solar power user talked his boss (CEO of Meijer) into purchasing a couple of Teslas of his own. So in addition to being a "superstore: groceries, household goods, fast food, etc.) they also sell gas at their locations and (in separate areas) superchargers. Not sure this is the same sort of negotiations taking place with Sheetz.

Maybe the key is to get CEO's of these places to buy Teslas!

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I feel like they need to partner with McDonalds. 2 superchargers at each location. Probably could handle with existing electrical infrastructure.

But, come up with a different name and make them low cost (similar to home charging prices) rather than free. Would reduce the local use to necessary folks rather than cost savings/scrounging.

May not be so exciting for the model s crowd, but the model 3 crowd would be more receptive and it would put McDonald's on the EV (future) map big time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I feel like they need to partner with McDonalds. 2 superchargers at each location. Probably could handle with existing electrical infrastructure.

But, come up with a different name and make them low cost (similar to home charging prices) rather than free. Would reduce the local use to necessary folks rather than cost savings/scrounging.

May not be so exciting for the model s crowd, but the model 3 crowd would be more receptive and it would put McDonald's on the EV (future) map big time.
I am not going to McDonald's for anything. They don't even serve Bacon anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: wdolson
I liked Sheetz. But none out here in the west.:(
Thinking QuikTrip is closest equivalent we have in AZ. Esp the newly renovated ones with the QT Kitchens with MTO food.

Those calling for Whole Foods, those aren't typically convenient for inter-city travel, which is what SCs are for. Starbucks are increasingly at interstate exits, so that could work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I am not going to McDonald's for anything. They don't even serve Bacon anymore.

I haven't been to a McDonalds in years. I think we stopped at one to use the restroom on a long trip about 4 years ago (it was the only place with a restroom at that exit). We bought a small fries out of courtesy, but I think that's the only time in the last decade.

Several of the McDonald's along I-70 have 14-50 outlets available. While it's not nearly as fast as Supercharging, it's nice to have that option available.

There's no reason to place SCs at gas stations.
I'm a bit late to this thread, but here's my 2 cents.

I want superchargers at gas stations. For a very simple reason - most malls are closed at night and most gas stations are open. It might be cool to jump out of your Tesla and get a wonderful latte in a nearby Starbucks during daytime. But it's so much less cool to hunt around for a working restroom at 2am, with strange cars stopping and asking you if you need dope (why else you would walk in a no-mans land at night?).

You think I'm exaggerrating? Try to find a 24h restroom around Vacaville SC, CA. Or Sandy, OR. Or maybe in Lafayette, IN.

I mentioned this being a possibility on another thread a few weeks back, and I've come to 3 reasonable conclusions, not sure which is the correct one:

1. I am smart enough to work for Tesla. (not confirmed, but likely)

2. Tesla people read these forums. (confirmed)

3. This is actually a common sense plan for everyone involved. (Most likely)

Either way, this is great news if they can find a few regional chains to partner with to expand coverage, as well as alleviate possible congestion concerns.

Tesla’s quiet talks with this company could help redefine the gas station as we know it

Sorry I'm late to the thread but there is one more list-item to add:
4. Tesla US/NA supercharger team has been talking with Tesla North-Europa supercharger team.

Here in Norway (or Scandinavia/North Europe generally - not sure) they have had a deal with Statoil gas stations (now Circle K) to put up supercharges at their stations for over a year now. You must all have seen TeslaBjørn charging at some of them from time to time?

Statoil (now Circle K) often also have other charging equipment at their stations.

Google Oversetter

- We are excited to be working with Tesla and hope we can build more charging points together. We are pleased to welcome Tesla owners welcome, both to the super charger on Statoil Haukås but also a growing number of Statoil petrol stations with combined charger offering quick charge including the Tesla models, says Thomas Støkken, Norway Head of Statoil Fuel & Retail.

Sorry I'm late to the thread but there is one more list-item to add:
4. Tesla US/NA supercharger team has been talking with Tesla North-Europa supercharger team.

Here in Norway (or Scandinavia/North Europe generally - not sure) they have had a deal with Statoil gas stations (now Circle K) to put up supercharges at their stations for over a year now. You must all have seen TeslaBjørn charging at some of them from time to time?

Statoil (now Circle K) often also have other charging equipment at their stations.

Google Oversetter

Either way, I think it's great for all involved.

I'd throw one more "plus" into the mix: jobs.

As we move more and more towards the greener side of transportation, we're going to see a shift in our economy, and the types of jobs available. There will be those who see the writing on the wall, and adapt to overcome. There are others who won't, and there will be a rise in Unemployment as those who are currently working on the "eww, gross" side of transportation (to paraphrase some of the forum members) don't move quickly enough before profits fall and things dry up.

The smart gas station chains see what's coming, and are smart to jump onboard now as early adopters. In probably 10 years, EVs are going to be a sizable portion of intercity traffic on the roadways, meaning those who installed charging infrastructure will be ready to embrace the increased traffic in their stores. Of course, at some point, they may have to go through a rebranding. No longer gas stations....Supercharger Stations? Waypoints? Interesting times ahead......