Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharging Locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they still building new supercharging stations?
Yes.
Elon hinted at charging above 250Kw at the Cybertruck unveil. Are they developing a V4 supercharger?
Probably.
They have promised one in my area since 2017 and still no such luck.
Not uncommon.
Also, why so few V3 stations?
There are many v3 stations under construction or recently opened in CA.

But I thought Tesla is really pushing the Model 3/Y which can charge at up to 250Kw. It seems like a waste of time to put in V1 chargers anywhere. I figured they would start replacing the V1s with V3s.

It isn't waste of time at places where you want charging to take longer because you don't want to come back and move your car after 30 minutes. Urban Superchargers aren't intended for long distance travel.

But I thought Tesla is really pushing the Model 3/Y which can charge at up to 250Kw. It seems like a waste of time to put in V1 chargers anywhere. I figured they would start replacing the V1s with V3s.

Those aren't V1 superchargers - V1 was 90kW and they were upgraded to 120kW after v2 was released. The 72kW chargers are "urban" and aren't intended for fast travel. They're slower because they're intended for apartment dwellers who don't have home chargers and slower charging is cheaper for tesla and gentler on batteries. With the ongoing Batterygate & Chargegate controversial downgrades possibly being related to tesla allowing supercharging faster than was safe or affordable (for their own warranty terms) they made slower superchargers that wouldn't cause as much damage in every day use.

Reactions: azjohn and CSFTN