Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 3 highland range -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all hope you are well just wanted some information advise.

I just got my tesla 3 red highland on Saturday. They advertise this should come with 344 range before it has been driven, mine says 272. I have done what they asked drive it to 5% leave for few hours then charge it to 100%. I have lol still not change any advise . Thank you for reading this

Reactions: Murdock

I just got my tesla 3 red highland on Saturday. They advertise this should come with 344 range before it has been driven, mine says 272. I have done what they asked drive it to 5% leave for few hours then charge it to 100%. I have lol still not change any advise . Thank you for reading this
RWD Highland WLTP is 318 and EPA is 272. The cars default to EPA so 272 is correct.
IMG_0962.png

Upvote 0
No RWD ON 18, I USED TO HAVE THE OLD LR that only had 321 range anyway , so thought that 344 range on RWD new would be fantastic
I can't believe we are still doing this in 2024.
WLTP range is like ICE mpg at 56mph that that is always published. Totally useless except to compare vehicles since no one ever drives at a constant 56..
Tesla have to put the WLTPrange on their web site. its the Law in the UK/EU but since it is not realistic they use the US EPA range in the car which you might be able to achieve on a good ( warm ) day.
This is how it has always been.

Upvote 0
No RWD ON 18, I USED TO HAVE THE OLD LR that only had 321 range anyway , so thought that 344 range on RWD new would be fantastic
Unfortunately you are not comparing like with like the 321 was the EPA range of some models of M3 LR the 318 is the WLTP, 344 is a Tesla estimate of what WLTP would be if tested on 18" wheels. The very earliest M3 LR had about 329 miles of WLTP which was up to about 390 I think at one point.
So you have bought a car with a significantly shorter real world range than the one you had before I'm afraid.

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
I can't believe we are still doing this in 2024.
WLTP range is like ICE mpg at 56mph that that is always published. Totally useless except to compare vehicles since no one ever drives at a constant 56..
Tesla have to put the WLTPrange on their web site. its the Law in the UK/EU but since it is not realistic they use the US EPA range in the car which you might be able to achieve on a good ( warm ) day.
This is how it has always been.
Yep i have gathered , did not it was law but tesla uk sites should put epa way more realistic

Upvote 0
Unfortunately you are not comparing like with like the 321 was the EPA range of some models of M3 LR the 344 is the WLTP. The very earliest M3 LR had about 329 miles of WLTP which was up to about 390 I think at one point.
So you have bought a car with a significantly shorter real world range than the one you had before I'm afraid.
£10,000 cheaper so i can live with that. But i hear you. Thanks

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Upvote 0
Yep i have gathered , did not it was law but tesla uk sites should put epa way more realistic
It would be nice yes. but if everyone else is using WLTP and Tesla put EPA their cars would look rubbish by comparison. What really needs to happen though is WLTP needs to be replaced with a more realistic number that everyone uses that does not mislead buyers

Upvote 0
RWD Highland WLTP is 318 and EPA is 272. The cars default to EPA so 272 is correct.View attachment 1027152
Tesla also give an estimated range with the 18" wheels in the UK of 344

1710274203722.png

So I can see the OPs point, 344 to 272 is a big difference, 21%

The LR in UK Est range is 421 compared to 341 EPA, 19%

When I bought my LR in '22 the difference was more like 10%

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Upvote 0
Tesla also give an estimated range with the 18" wheels in the UK of 344

View attachment 1027155

So I can see the OPs point, 344 to 272 is a big difference, 21%

The LR in UK Est range is 421 compared to 341 EPA, 19%

When I bought my LR in '22 the difference was more like 10%
Tesla don't give a different estimated range with 18" wheels in the US so I guess they keep the same EPA range for 19" and 18" in car but it is odd that they claim you could get an extra 26 WLTP type miles with 18" but not reflect that in the car. That ought to translate to an extra 10-15 miles in the real world.

Upvote 0
Due to changes in the United States, the EPA has changed the way they estimate range...and Tesla has complied by reducing the headline range...however the Highland has the same battery as the previous shape, and is more aerodynamic....so your actual range on the real life roads should be better (but only better than you got on the old shape, because it will all depend on your driving style and environment)

Upvote 0
Tesla don't give a different estimated range with 18" wheels in the US so I guess they keep the same EPA range for 19" and 18" in car but it is odd that they claim you could get an extra 26 WLTP type miles with 18" but not reflect that in the car. That ought to translate to an extra 10-15 miles in the real world.
Its certainly a confusing mess, and I can see why the OP is bothered about this, the difference between WLTP and EPA seems to be growing. I guess this is as observed that EPA has been revised so is now lower, whereas WLTP remains in fantasy land.

It's not helping anyone to have such a crazy measure as the official benchmark.

Upvote 0

The range quoted in the car is the EPA range and not the WLTP figures. It's more accurate than what we use in Europe, you can if you drive at speed limits in the summer potentially beat that. You'd almost never get the WLTP range however.

Should be fine, it's just reporting the US numbers.

Upvote 0