Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 3 highland range -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all hope you are well just wanted some information advise.

I just got my tesla 3 red highland on Saturday. They advertise this should come with 344 range before it has been driven, mine says 272. I have done what they asked drive it to 5% leave for few hours then charge it to 100%. I have lol still not change any advise . Thank you for reading this

Reactions: Murdock
Yeah but they cannot because they have to show WLTP in UK / EU to be legal.

It would save a lot of confusion if they also showed the EPA range in adverts, although that may also lead to another type of confusion as some may not understand why there is more than one ‘range’ if not properly presented, even if many are already familiar with different mpg figures that we already have.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Upvote 0
Its certainly a confusing mess, and I can see why the OP is bothered about this, the difference between WLTP and EPA seems to be growing. I guess this is as observed that EPA has been revised so is now lower, whereas WLTP remains in fantasy land.

It's not helping anyone to have such a crazy measure as the official benchmark.
Yes, they’ve changed the EPA test rules which lowers the range, well to be correct it lowers the result, the real range doesn’t change

We used to have NEDC if you really want to live in fantasy land, to counter that they offered a “typical” option and on early Teslas they even had an optimum or max which was how far could the car could go if you hypermiled,

Tesla should just move to a value based on recent driving style like everyone else. I personally don’t like %, i just mentally knock off 10% to from the EPA miles figure and that is generally fine if a little cautious at times

Reactions: Oxid8ter
Upvote 0
Yeah but they cannot because they have to show WLTP in UK / EU to be legal.
As an extension to this, WLTP is the same measure as is used across the board for ICE, Hybrid, and EV.

The issue you raise, @kets, is just the EV equivalent of a Land Rover Hybrid getting 130mpg WLTP, or an ICE car getting 70mpg and then the owner only ever seeing 40mpg.

Tesla should just move to a value based on recent driving style like everyone else. I personally don’t like %, i just mentally knock off 10% to from the EPA miles figure and that is generally fine if a little cautious at times
Agree with George on this one. Every other car I have ever owned has adjusted range based on driving style.

Upvote 0
Yes, they’ve changed the EPA test rules which lowers the range, well to be correct it lowers the result, the real range doesn’t change

We used to have NEDC if you really want to live in fantasy land, to counter that they offered a “typical” option and on early Teslas they even had an optimum or max which was how far could the car could go if you hypermiled,

I don’t think all other brands show a GOM, my Lotus doesn’t. To add to that while you can see efficiency over a trip, it doesn’t show anywhere how far you can really go like the Tesla does on its energy page. So if you want to know, you need to get a calculator out and work it out yourself.

This is probably for the best because Lotus and maths don’t go too well 😉

• Funny
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Upvote 0
As an extension to this, WLTP is the same measure as is used across the board for ICE, Hybrid, and EV.

The issue you raise, @kets, is just the EV equivalent of a Land Rover Hybrid getting 130mpg WLTP, or an ICE car getting 70mpg and then the owner only ever seeing 40mpg.

Agree with George on this one. Every other car I have ever owned has adjusted range based on driving style.
The Hybrid one is the real major issue because the test cycle is short enough, it’s mostly on EV power alone. They need to also publish figures of what you’ll get when the battery is flat as it will be if you ever do a longer trip.

Upvote 0
The Hybrid one is the real major issue because the test cycle is short enough, it’s mostly on EV power alone. They need to also publish figures of what you’ll get when the battery is flat as it will be if you ever do a longer trip.
Yeah agreed! I used the Land Rover as an example as I historically looked at a Discovery Sport Plug-In Hybrid and that was touted as 130ish MPG but without the battery, and as the engine was a 2.0l Petrol (in a heavy car), the efficiency was 28mpg I think I read in the small print.

On the note of having a "recent driving style" range displayed in the car, as @GeorgeSymonds mentioned, maybe Tesla could have it on a toggle between "Static Estimate" and "Dynamic Estimate" or something 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Upvote 0
I suggest lots of people are stating the wrong point, yes the difference is the estimated WLTP vs the EPA value. The point however is the difference between these two figures has kept growing. When I got my first LR Model 3 in 2019 (like the OP) the WLTP was 324 and EPA 310, a difference of 4%. When I got my replacement in 2022 that had grown to 10%, and now with the highland RWD it's 21%. To the OP coming from an earlier car if the ratio was the same the RWD would have had more range than his previous LR, but the reality is that it doesn't.

There isn't really anything much Tesla can do about this, they are obliged to use WLTP in advertising (although some other manufacturers state more real world figures as part of their website.). What it highlights though is that WLTPs test is rubbish, and the Americans are showing how a test can be more realistic, which would then be fairer to everyone, and give the Daily Mail less material to write anti-EV stories about and generally reduce the general populations trust in electric vehicles.

Upvote 0
Just out of interest…my total driving in my three year old car with the old more generous EPA has been exactly EPA….(about 225 Wh per mile).
I’m not a heavy user and some days I have hyper miled and other days I have enjoyed its abilities…most journeys are local but still do road trips….my winters are mild but in summer I use a ton of air conditioning.
So my point is EPA ( as a combined cycle city and freeway) is easily achieved without even thinking about it…and for many many trips I leave WLTP in the dust as well. It’s a M3LR

Upvote 0
There isn't really anything much Tesla can do about this, they are obliged to use WLTP in advertising (although some other manufacturers state more real world figures as part of their website.). What it highlights though is that WLTPs test is rubbish, and the Americans are showing how a test can be more realistic, which would then be fairer to everyone, and give the Daily Mail less material to write anti-EV stories about and generally reduce the general populations trust in electric vehicles.
Whilst they are obliged to publish the WLTP figure, the only certified results they use are on 19” wheels of 318 miles, they compound issue by publishing a unofficial estimated figure for the 18” wheels of 344 miles for RWD so can see it will confuse buyers when figure on screen is so much lower. Old M3 only had a claimed difference of 12 miles between 18 and 19 so 28 miles extra now seems a stretch

Upvote 0
Hello all hope you are well just wanted some information advise.

I just got my tesla 3 red highland on Saturday. They advertise this should come with 344 range before it has been driven, mine says 272. I have done what they asked drive it to 5% leave for few hours then charge it to 100%. I have lol still not change any advise . Thank you for reading this
Justgetatesla did a good video last week on this subject.

Upvote 0
Yeah agreed! I used the Land Rover as an example as I historically looked at a Discovery Sport Plug-In Hybrid and that was touted as 130ish MPG but without the battery, and as the engine was a 2.0l Petrol (in a heavy car), the efficiency was 28mpg I think I read in the small print.

On the note of having a "recent driving style" range displayed in the car, as @GeorgeSymonds mentioned, maybe Tesla could have it on a toggle between "Static Estimate" and "Dynamic Estimate" or something 🤷‍♂️
That’s a great idea and would love for them to do this. Easy change but won’t hold my breath on it.

Upvote 0
I suggest lots of people are stating the wrong point, yes the difference is the estimated WLTP vs the EPA value. The point however is the difference between these two figures has kept growing. When I got my first LR Model 3 in 2019 (like the OP) the WLTP was 324 and EPA 310, a difference of 4%. When I got my replacement in 2022 that had grown to 10%, and now with the highland RWD it's 21%. To the OP coming from an earlier car if the ratio was the same the RWD would have had more range than his previous LR, but the reality is that it doesn't.

I agree, it seems like the Americans make a genuine effort to get theirs close to real world numbers and revise it as they go to improve on it. WLTP is terrible in comparison.

Ours isn’t quite as bad as the Chinese one but then they mostly sit in traffic going 5mph so maybe theirs does work better for their market.

Upvote 0
Whilst they are obliged to publish the WLTP figure, the only certified results they use are on 19” wheels of 318 miles, they compound issue by publishing a unofficial estimated figure for the 18” wheels of 344 miles for RWD so can see it will confuse buyers when figure on screen is so much lower. Old M3 only had a claimed difference of 12 miles between 18 and 19 so 28 miles extra now seems a stretch
Be good to see if someone could run these cars side by side on a longish trip to see what it really is. The 19’s are supposed to be more aero dynamic and they do have small aero covers that are hard to notice around the outsides reducing the drag somewhat.

Reactions: Mark89052
Upvote 0