Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla 3 owner / question on leads in the boot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys we just collected our 2021 Tesla 3 Performance yesterday.

First EV for us.

theres 2 leads in the boot. One im assuming is the one for home charging.

The other one looks like one you'd use at a charging station. However we thought all the public chargers have their own leads built in that you insert into the car?!

any help appreciated on how it all works please. Thanks

If you're in the US (which may not be applicable to the OP ...)

The small charging "tip" is a Tesla adapter so you can use a J1772 spec charger (Tesla is their own proprietary interface).

Works great, I'm using it on a Grizzl-E charger (with a J1772 connector that we use for the Wrangler 4xe)

Last edited:
Hey guys we just collected our 2021 Tesla 3 Performance yesterday.

First EV for us.

theres 2 leads in the boot. One im assuming is the one for home charging.

The other one looks like one you'd use at a charging station. However we thought all the public chargers have their own leads built in that you insert into the car?!

any help appreciated on how it all works please. Thanks

In the UK, you get a type 2 charging cable for the level 2 (AC) public charging stations you may encounter. I do not know the status of such public chargers but perhaps/apparently Level2, type 2 stations in the UK sometimes do not come with a cable (these are cables that allow charging at L2 rates, not to be confused with the connector type 2...I think). This is also not to be confused with DC fast charging stations (L3), which will have their own cable built-in which will plug directly into the vehicle.

The other thing is the UMC, and yes it is for home charging, the one attached to the brick.

Disregard the comments about J-1772 - that is a North American standard that does not apply to your situation.

If you can tolerate Bjorn, he does very informative videos, and there is actually video of the cable-less charging stations: ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeGood