Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20170113_094504.jpg
Purchased a Tesla CHAmeDO Adapter when I purchased our Model X last April. Brand new in box never opened.
Asking $ 425.00 plus $ 20.00 shipping.

What exactly does this do? Seen it before but don't understand when it's needed?
Allows you to use Chademo charging stations, such as at EVGO, like the Leaf do. Look on Plugshare and check the "Chademo" only filter, and allow paid locations, zoom out enough, and you will see lots of Chademo all over the place, if not in your area specifically.

For EVGO, the speed varies between 28kW and 45kW depending on state of charge and charging station. Most are 100 amp and some are 125 amp. Not as fast as a SuperCharger (usually), but much faster than a Level 2 (usually). Only a 80 amp dual charger or 72 amp Tesla could rival this if everything is working right at the lower end of the Chademo scale, but mostly the Chademo is 2x to 4x as fast as home charging, depending on conditions. Often, it's the fastest available way to charge, depending on locations.

What exactly does this do? Seen it before but don't understand when it's needed?

CHAdeMO is a type of fast charger, similar to Tesla's Supercharger system. This allows your Tesla to utilize these types of connections. CHAdeMO stations tend to be clustered in and around major urban areas so the usefulness of the adapter varies.

Edit: never mind. Ulmo has it covered above!

CHAdeMO is a type of fast charger, similar to Tesla's Supercharger system. This allows your Tesla to utilize these types of connections. CHAdeMO stations tend to be clustered in and around major urban areas so the usefulness of the adapter varies.

Edit: never mind. Ulmo has it covered above!
Thanks to everyone both for the questions as well as the detailed explanation of what a CHAmeDo Adapter is used for,
item is now SOLD.

Reactions: Ulmo
no, what you show is not CHAdeMO but dual units on 277v aka 20kw.

CHAdeMO would be giving you twice or 40kw avg and say it on the screen. The taper goes up higher also.
Something about the state of charge being at 4% state of charge had something to do with it I bet. Both the BMS throttling charge speed and the voltage needed to charge at that SOC. I was not using AC.

Something about the state of charge being at 4% state of charge had something to do with it I bet. Both the BMS throttling charge speed and the voltage needed to charge at that SOC. I was not using AC.

That makes sense actually. Once your SOC goes up a bit i'm pretty sure the voltage can increase and you'll be charging at ~145 mi/hr. Which is not bad.