Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods delete it if this is offensive. (Humor)

Attachments

• 1649950494535.jpeg
    1649950494535.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 63
The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi
I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.
Seriously speaking that you are an engineer and with multiple patents means nothing. You are not the first engineer and will not be the last one who has specialized knowledge and lacks common sense. This is an honest feedback from another engineer.

Last edited:
The person you are quoting is telling YOU to ignore the other things in the thread they considered schoolyard banter, not calling your posts schoolyard banter. I suggest perhaps reading it again.
You're a lot more patient than I am, but again, it's a requirement for being a moderator I guess. My earlier post probably deserved to be moved to the Snippiness thread. It was my best attempt to disengage from the OP's 5th grader response, which quite a few people who're trying to help him received, including the one you referenced here, LOL. Obviously writing style is not the only problem, but comprehension as well. There are just so many things that don't add up in his first post, which people have pointed out repeatedly, and he's never answered how the whole thing was resolved despite a half dozen people asking. Even though I've only been a member for less than a year, this thread gives me the "weirdest" vibe of all threads I've read.

The funny thing is that the OP never mentioned using or setting up the phone key in his original post, only that he's using the app to unlock the car. When I mentioned the possibility of his phone not having signal as a potential reason, he jumped on it and made the bogus assertion that it's Bluetooth only! LOL. And he feels threatened enough to use "multiple individual patents" as evidence to convince people that he's super-intelligent, and "know how technology works". Really?! 😂

The Manual also says that if your Tesla has LIthium Ion battery then you should charge to 100%. However, my Tesla started complaining when I charged my battery to 100% two days in a row.
As a fellow engineer, you should be more specific. Tesla only recommends charging to 100% for Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Batteries. Based on your Tesla's complaints I would assume you don't have an LFP battery.

This is not correct.

There are two access protocols for your car:

One is through Cell/WiFi, this allows your phone to do things like set the climate control from 10 miles away, as well as 3rd party apps to unlock and "start" the car (allowing you to drive - I do this with my Apple Watch and Tessie which does not setup a BT phone key). You access the car by way of authenticating on the app (or generating a token for 3rd party access).

The other method is by creating a "phone key", this requires you to use an existing keycard, and setting up your phone as a Bluetooth device. This allows you to unlock, start and operate the car without any network connectivity.

You can access the car and use it simply by logging into your Tesla account through the phone, that does __not__ establish a phone key that operates through BT, i.e., if your device and car lost connectivity it wouldn't work.
Yeah, I think most folks are not so clear on the distinction, that there is a 2nd level of redundancy with the app. My wife being an Apple fangirl entirely trusts and relies on her iPhone as key, such that she never carries the keycard around. One time when she was out and about, she came back to the car and it wouldn't unlock or respond for her.

She called me since she couldn't get in, I guess to ask me to bring a keycard to her. But with the Tesla app on my phone, I was able to not just unlock the car, but remote start so she could drive home. She could've done the same with her app, connecting via the cloud and cell, even though she was standing right next to the car.

It hasn't glitched like that again for her, but now she knows the phone app can work in two different ways.

The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi
I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.

So if even non-engineers without patents are giving you constructive advice, where does that leave you?

Do you know how ridiculous your comparison is ? comparing not carrying the card to jumping over the cliff?

Isn't this a personal attack? Where is the moderator who deletes the post with personal attack?

He used a rhetorical hyperbole to point out why tech isn't infallible. When people disagree with you it doesn't mean they're attacking you. Hopefully you've gained at least one takeaway from all of this, which is to bring your keycard. If you were even at the right vehicle to begin with..

Status
Not open for further replies.