Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I locked myself out of my car once - I was only out of the car for a few minutes and didn't have my keycard, then my phone unexpectedly died. I was able to use someone else's phone to call my wife and have her use the Tesla app to remotely unlock/start the car. It was embarrassing, but not a huge problem. Another option would be to have a friend install the app on their phone and unlock the car for me.

I also once found that another parent at my daughter's gym had purchased a black Model 3. I spent several minutes turning bluetooth off/on, rebooting the phone, etc. trying to get into the car until I realized it wasn't my car.

I have to wonder, does everyone read every manual for everything they own? I guess you do.

Not saying OP shouldn't read the manual, that's not the point really - OP wasn't prepared, ok.

FWIW I don't expect everyone to have read the manual.

But I do expect anyone claiming Tesla doesn't tell you ANYWHERE to carry the keycard to have done so before making such a claim.
(and of course, that's exactly where they DO tell you to carry the keycard)

I actually do expect people to read the manual. Not only is this a $40k+ investment, but driving a car is literally the most dangerous activity most people will do in their lives. Spending 30 minutes to make yourself even a little bit better at that task isn't unreasonable.

FWIW I agree everyone SHOULD read it.

I just don't expect them to.

I also look both ways crossing one-way streets.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec and WhiteWi
The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi
I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.
me too, but I am an UNIX guy. Phones are for making calls.
If I was stuck, I would call my partner, or maybe just login here,
admit my sins and someone would say I need a jacket that ties in
the back. Then tell me what to do and suffer 1000 LOL's.
I guess I can dispose of my coat hanger, but I believe it would also work.
Jack and coke on happy hour, never mind.

me too, but I am an UNIX guy. Phones are for making calls.

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Solaris lives on my friend!

The app connected- and showed him his car was unlocked with sentry off.

Yet he was standing in front of a locked car with sentry on.

Wrong car.

As @jjrandorin already pointed out several pages ago.

He only recently got it, and there's a bajillion teslas in CA, so not surprising there'd be another that looked like his parked nearby. But it's the only thing that actually fits the story he told.

This is - by far - the most likely explanation. And given that, rather embarrassing (yet understandable) for the OP. It would do well to acquaint oneself with the flash/horn buttons under Controls in the app.

Had to do exactly this picking up my Model X from the service center last night. Flight was delayed so I had to do an after-hours pickup. Quick press of the flash lights button and it identified itself easily among the sea of Pearl White. (Excellent service, by the way. All of my concerns were addressed in one seamless visit, and constant communication with the service team. Couldn't ask for better.)

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
@bddesh
1) you are 100% right in that Tesla should have advised to carry the card in case of emergency. BUT owners should also use some critical thinking….what happens if you lost your phone, dropped it or was damaged and no longer works, battery died and don’t have a charger? An extra card to keep in your wallet is barely inconvenient.
2) Tesla shouldn't have just canceled the roadside.
3) I could be wrong but I can‘t image any legitimate towing company, never mind Tesla would just tow a car without a person there to verify its their car and or has the keys to open the door….just too much liability going on. I only had to have a car towed twice…but both times required someone to be there.
4). And I hate to say it. But as someone else mentioned. You 100% sure you were standing next to “your” car?

for all intensive purposes Tesla is still a new car company and has work to do on customer support. I had to have my car towed the day after taking delivery, was just about to leave to take the family to a wedding, was in the service center for a month, communication wasn’t great and was the worst ownership experience I‘ve had. Fast forward to today…. over 3.5yrs later….it’s my favorite car I’ve owned so far.

Lastly how did it all end? Car still there? Able to unlock it? What went wrong?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Key points from this thread:

1. Always keep your key card with you (I carry it in my wallet, next to my credit cards)
2. If phone does not work, disable bluetooth and re-enable it (this worked for me twice when my phone did not unlock my car)
1.5 Check the proximity of the blue dot to the red arrow in the app's Location tab

for all intensive purposes

I apologize, but I'm about to put my pedantic hat on. I'm really, terribly sorry - it comes from a good place, I promise. Hope you take it in the spirit it's intended ...

But the phrase is "for all intents & purposes."

Again, I apologize for being that guy ...

I have to wonder, does everyone read every manual for everything they own? I guess you do.

Not saying OP shouldn't read the manual, that's not the point really - OP wasn't prepared, ok.

Let's all just treat people badly when they screw up, that will fix them.
The manual for our pasta drying rack, with the parts. Yes, I read it...

PNG image.png

You said, "ignore silly middle-school banter".
Why isn't this deemed as personal attack by the moderator?
My post with even milder reply was deleted!
Or may be some people have more "privilege" than the others?
After looking at slap incident at Oscars, I am not surprised by any of the schoolyard bullying like this.
OK, I apologize for everyone on this thread that posted something that upset you. They should roast in hell!!!!!!

Now:

HOW WAS THE ISSUE RESOLVED!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??

This scenario is exactly why i bought the CNICK ring key.
Unfortunately it fails 90% of the time.
I emailed them and they said the phone key needs to be disconnected from the car for it to work.
Shutting off my iphone didn't help. So if there is a phone malfunction I can't trust the ring.
Too bad too. I really liked the idea.

I also love your idea of adding a buddy and they can actually start your car for you. that's a great idea for an extra level of backup
Oh that's good to know and that sucks if is also has a failure rate. I carry a really small Ekster | Time-saving carry essentials wallet so it's not to bad in the summer but It would be nice to have something on all the time that was foolproof. So If you're at the beach or out for a hike you don't need to carry all of your stuff on you.

Reactions: AquaY
Anyone else read the whole thing in a boomer voice?

The important question is how the phone was setup, was it as a phone key or not? And what troubleshooting steps were done to resolve it?

Been carrying my phone as a key for years now and not bringing my wallet. You are risking not being able to get in the car if something messes up though and that’s on you. That said I cannot see what could make it impossible to get in the car with either internet or Bluetooth access except for a hardware issue.

I completely get the reference but will say that this sort of straddles the line as far as comments toward a person in my opinion, in the way its being used here. Context matters, so of course calling someone a baby boomer isnt necessarily bad, it is just a generational marker, but implying "Ok boomer" is an insult.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin and WhiteWi
The reason I only took the phone is because when I got my Tesla the Tesla representative told me clearly that there is no need to carry the card. He said Tesla app is good enough as it works all the time!!!
I am upset because the Tesla roadside assistance closed my request for help while I was standing next to the car. Afterwords, I got a ride home and then they told me, they won't do anything unless I go back to my car with Tesla card.
If carrying the card is so important then, tell the customer clearly!
So did you go back with you key card and drive the car back home or did you still tow it?

Status
Not open for further replies.