Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Tesla charger, which was less expensive than several of the other brand chargers. The other reason, which some will disagree with, is that if there were a problem related to the charger and the car, Tesla would not be able to shift the blame. The cost to install it was probably not much more than putting in an outlet, as it is pretty straightforward. You can download the instructions to check; I almost decided to do it myself, but among other things did not want to drill through the brick wall to run the heavy duty wire needed for any high amp socket. If you use the cable that comes ith the car you will be unplugging and coiling it regularly, which is a waste of time (and not much fun). You could leave the cable at home if you only use the car locally, but I do not do that. Enjoy the car!
So some people do buy the Tesla wall charger which will cost you $550 plus installation. The advantage of the Tesla charger is that they say it is a little faster or more miles in an hour into your battery, but only a few. I personally do not see the need to spend that kind of money on top of the electricians charge to install the electrical work for the 14-50 outlet. As far as plugging the EVSE in and out, you just keep it plugged into the 14-50 outlet all the time and plug into the M3 when charging, don't see the hassle. In the US all public Level 2 and Superchargers have the EVSE attached to them, so don't see why I want to carry it around on a regular basis.

Perhaps this point is for another discussion but worth mentioning: OP check your local building code with the town, probably need to have the outlet permitted. So the electrician has to go to the town and pull a permit. Damn, I had that done and it cost as much for the permit in my town as the electricians bill, that is because they farm it out to a 3rd party.

Last edited:
I would much rather buy directly from Tesla but I don’t need FSD and have a certain budget to follow. If new wasn’t 4-5 months out, I’d get a new one. I’m concerned interest rates will be higher this summer and my trade in will be worth much less.
As mentioned in #19 message, it is possible to get a new one with a quick turnaround time: keep checking the new inventory page, as vehicles (not delivered to the original order) are made available. If possible, swing by a nearby Tesla showroom/service center, talk to service advisor and ask them to put you on their shortlists.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
So some people do buy the Tesla wall charger which will cost you $550 plus installation. The advantage of the Tesla charger is that they say it is a little faster or more miles in an hour into your battery, but only a few. I personally do not see the need to spend that kind of money on top of the electricians charge to install the electrical work for the 14-50 outlet. As far as plugging the EVSE in and out, you just keep it plugged into the 14-50 outlet all the time and plug into the M3 when charging, don't see the hassle. In the US all public Level 2 and Superchargers have the EVSE attached to them, so don't see why I want to carry it around on a regular basis.

Perhaps this point is for another discussion but worth mentioning: OP check your local building code with the town, probably need to have the outlet permitted. So the electrician has to go to the town and pull a permit. Damn, I had that done and it cost as much for the permit in my town as the electricians bill, that is because they farm it out to a 3rd party.
I use the car's included cable at another site to charge that does not have a charger. I plug it into a wall outlet there and charge slowly, but can get a fair amount over night, ie 6 PM to 8 AM. The other problem of leaving your cable in an outdoor outlet is that it is easy to steal. When I first got the car I brought the cable into a cellar window to a 120 V outlet; I do not have a garage.

I use the car's included cable at another site to charge that does not have a charger. I plug it into a wall outlet there and charge slowly, but can get a fair amount over night, ie 6 PM to 8 AM. The other problem of leaving your cable in an outdoor outlet is that it is easy to steal. When I first got the car I brought the cable into a cellar window to a 120 V outlet; I do not have a garage.
Sounds logical if you are charging away from home and need the trickle charge of a 120v line.
I agree, would not keep the EVSE outside to be stolen. Most people probably don’t even know what it is! Ha ha.

I got a Tesla charger, which was less expensive than several of the other brand chargers. The other reason, which some will disagree with, is that if there were a problem related to the charger and the car, Tesla would not be able to shift the blame. The cost to install it was probably not much more than putting in an outlet, as it is pretty straightforward. You can download the instructions to check; I almost decided to do it myself, but among other things did not want to drill through the brick wall to run the heavy duty wire needed for any high amp socket. If you use the cable that comes ith the car you will be unplugging and coiling it regularly, which is a waste of time (and not much fun). You could leave the cable at home if you only use the car locally, but I do not do that. Enjoy the car!
Plus 1 for the Tesla level 2 charger. Not that much money and while I agree the charing rates are not much better than the NEMA 1450 I like keeping everything in the Tesla family to avoid any potential finger pointing down the road. I was under the impression FSD was attached to the car regardless of owner? To me it makes more sense if it stays with the original buyer of the package, incentive to stay in the Tesla family of cars, no?

FYI, there are 240v 30a adapters for the TMC (Tesla Mobile Connector) for the common dryer outlet (older is an N10-30, newer is an N14-30). That will allow for ~22a charging which is pretty decent and available at most homes. I got the N14-30 specifically for use at my BIL's place down in NSB - though I'm also trying to convince him to install a 50a in the garage :D

FYI, there are 240v 30a adapters for the TMC (Tesla Mobile Connector) for the common dryer outlet (older is an N10-30, newer is an N14-30). That will allow for ~22a charging which is pretty decent and available at most homes. I got the N14-30 specifically for use at my BIL's place down in NSB - though I'm also trying to convince him to install a 50a in the garage :D

Is the only difference between the 14-30 and 14-50 the amp/breaker being 50 on the latter?

I have worked with my electrician on several projects in my house and he said our breaker panel uses breakers that are more expensive than some. I’m sure I have room in the panel for this new 240v circuit. I had a whole house surge suppressor installed in November and that was $400 and it uses a 60 amp breaker. Hoping the 240v 14-50 will be that or less.

He should also change the wiring to #6 copper if you go with a 50a breaker.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
That’s good to know, thank you! He seems very knowledgeable and says he’s been in business for over 20 years. I’m sure he’s done one of these before. I plan on having it installed right next to the breaker box. We have a split garage door setup and I had thought about having it installed between the doors, but I know that will add to the cost.

Absolutely the wiring should be to spec, my comment was more for the OP's "other location", having the included 5-15, a 14-30, etc., is handy for offsite and/or backup :)

If the BIL had a 50a installed, it would be a brand new run, just like mine. We've got a N6-50 in the garage, with a Grizzl-E 40a for both our vehicles, and I've got an N6-50 adapter for the TMC for a backup, in case the Grizzl-E craps out (which is why I like plugin vs. hardwired)

Is the only difference between the 14-30 and 14-50 the amp/breaker being 50 on the latter?

I have worked with my electrician on several projects in my house and he said our breaker panel uses breakers that are more expensive than some. I’m sure I have room in the panel for this new 240v circuit. I had a whole house surge suppressor installed in November and that was $400 and it uses a 60 amp breaker. Hoping the 240v 14-50 will be that or less.

Oh yeah, I think @Willy’sEV was replying to you, but at any rate, he's correct, you would need to confirm and/or upgrade the AWG of the existing wiring.

We got our N6-50 installed, which included assessment of the existing panel/power, a proper wiring run of ~2-2.5 feet, and the receptacle, and wall plate for like $220 (N. FL area). We had a non-Tesla EV first (a Wrangler 4xe PHEV specifically), so I have a J1772 connector on our charger, and just use the Tesla supplied adapter for the TM3.

That’s good to know, thank you! He seems very knowledgeable and says he’s been in business for over 20 years. I’m sure he’s done one of these before. I plan on having it installed right next to the breaker box. We have a split garage door setup and I had thought about having it installed between the doors, but I know that will add to the cost.
I had my Tesla charger installed between my two garage doors. If you do this make sure you install slightly to the left of center as you will need room to plug the charger in.

Well, the material cost is quite low, it's the labor that will cost you. I installed my own NEMA 14-50 in a weatherproof Eaton box, with conduit, 6gauge wire, breakers, etc; about 8ft from my panel, and I spent $80 in materials at Lowes.

I had my Tesla charger installed between my two garage doors. If you do this make sure you install slightly to the left of center as you will need room to plug the charger in.

That's a great placement tip.

We did ours just about center on the short rear wall of our garage, so I back in the Tesla, and pull in front first with the Jeep and both charging ports are side by side and like 6 feet from the charger. I can also TM3 front-in and/or 4xe back-in and still reach both charging ports since we have a 24' cable on the EVSE, gives us some parking options.

I know the length of the wiring run can affect the price, but it can also greatly impact the convenience / flexibility.

We’ve been looking for a more efficient vehicle to replace my truck as I eventually will need to go back to the office. I finally convinced my wife to look at a Tesla after we got irritated at the local dealers, mainly Toyota, charging markups and insane dealer adds. We own a RAV4 Hybrid and was hoping to find another one but I refuse to pay over MSRP for any vehicle.

We initially ordered a new ‘22 but the delivery time said June, and my wife really liked the look of the blue exterior with the sport wheels. We looked at Tesla’s preowned but all of those were out of our budget. We looked at Vroom, Carvana, CarMax and saw that Vroom had the lowest prices. She kept going back to a ‘21 blue with sport wheels that only had 10k miles on it so we ended up buying it. Got all of the paperwork done with our bank so now we sit and wait. My only concern is it was owned up north and not sure if it matters but it was a personal lease for only one year. Does that sound concerning?

I’m in Texas and there are two Tesla service centers near us. I plan on taking it to one just to have it checked over.

I don’t know what all if any of the extras it has installed. I plan on enabling the rear heated seats though. Excited!!
Tesla just baked in the ADM. Their car prices were raised significantly in 2021 while other auto manufactures prices did not increase anywhere near the amount Teslas did. Dealers are greedy tho I agree.