Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla PW2 install on two phase house.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a two phase system

Phase 1 PW2 Gateway and Solar. The Tesla gateway monitoring clamps have been put around that sub board
Phase 2 No solar or battery

The powerwall doesn't seem to be operating properly.

When set to charge from solar, loads on the phase without solar, pull power from the grid. When the battery is physically off, (and the sun is out) this does not happen

Also when the sun is out and I plug in the car to charge off the powerwall, same thing happens – this is particularly bad after 3pm as the phase without solar pulls hi tariff power – defeating the whole purpose of maximising the solar charging of the car – rather than waiting until after 9pm to charge off low tariff.

My question is, do I need to install a Tesla Neurio wifi meter at the front switchboard to prevent this from happening and will it solve this problem?

Thanks

Reactions: Jay Gatsby
Sure.. hey can I ask another question to the brains trusts as we don't have powerwall3's yet...

If I was to install a PW3 with some panels on the other phase (currently without any Solar/batteries on it) - this would be connected not only on the other phase, but I could get some clamps directly around the main board.

I assume the PW3 (has it's own internal gateway).. has monitoring .. that correct?

How does this monitoring work? with clamps?

Is there anyone out there who has both a PW2 and PW3? Even set up on different phases..

Do they both then work ie "can be seen" as one in the app?

I then wouldn't need the separate wifi Neurio monitoring right?

thanks

JG

Last edited:
So what you’re saying is, that tesla didn’t install this. Time to reach out to whomever installed this for ya.
Things don't necessarily happen outside the US the same way as they do in the US. "Tesla" in Australia doesn't install anything (directly). We have no choice. To get a Powerwall installed we have to use a (third party) installer.. The one I used is an accredited Tesla installer. They have done all the Tesla training and "certification". Cheers

Things don't necessarily happen outside the US the same way as they do in the US. "Tesla" in Australia doesn't install anything (directly). We have no choice. To get a Powerwall installed we have to use a (third party) installer.. The one I used is an accredited Tesla installer. They have done all the Tesla training and "certification". Cheers
Correct, well aware. However, when you’re asked a question it’s typically asked so as to help you out without wasting anyone’s time.

You wouldn’t have been told to contact tesla if anyone knew you had a 3rd party installer. You’d have been advised to contact said installer, as they’d have the most correct info for your install.

It sounds like exactly what you would expect to happen when the CT clamps are on the sub-board and not the main board. It has no idea what power you're using elsewhere, so it's diverting any solar excess to the sub-board loads into the PW / car.

It needs consumption monitoring at the main board on all phases.

It sounds like exactly what you would expect to happen when the CT clamps are on the sub-board and not the main board. It has no idea what power you're using elsewhere, so it's diverting any solar excess to the sub-board loads into the PW / car.

It needs consumption monitoring at the main board on all phases.
So you'd advise installing a Tesla Neurio wifi meter at the front switchboard? Thanks

No a registered dealer is not a tesla installer. I also used a registered dealer who did not get my installation correct. Tesla sent a tech out to fix it. Fairly much rewired the entire installation.
Well I don;t know how Tesla operates in Australia? How would I? I've test driven their cars down at the only Tesla site in my city. I asked about the Powerwall there. They told me they didn't install them. They told me to find an accredited dealers. So what can you do? Have I missed something in this whole Tesla powerwall/installation process?

Go here and fill in the form then go from there
what's your point?... ...it specifically states they will then get you in contact with "a Tesla Certified Installer". You telling me that is going to be someone from Tesla head office? or the place I visited to do the test drive? This list is going to be all subcontractors/ solar instal people (who've simply "done the course") so what's yr point? Cheers

Well I don;t know how Tesla operates in Australia? How would I? I've test driven their cars down at the only Tesla site in my city. I asked about the Powerwall there. They told me they didn't install them. They told me to find an accredited dealers. So what can you do? Have I missed something in this whole Tesla powerwall/installation process?
The process is you request your installer to either fix the problem or for them to arrange a tesla tech to come and sort it out. If your installer refuses, exercise your consumer rights for a refund and start again with someone else. It generally sorts something out.
I wouldn’t be wasting time with the US call centre.

Reactions: cafz and Jay Gatsby