Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Y defective - what would you do?

polyphonic54

Aug 29, 2019
USA
The only thing I would be worried about is work being done in a timely manner. The replacement itself isn’t a big deal. Some motors die early, most last a very long time.

Clark_Kent

Jun 23, 2020
Smallville, KS
On what grounds would you be asking for a new car? If you're well within your rights to do so (i.e., lemon law) then go for it. If not, you likely will not get a new car from Tesla.

cedcor

Dec 13, 2020
Carlsbad CA
Your only option is to follow the warranty route. They’re not going to give you a new car unless it’s deemed a lemon after their attempts to warranty the vehicle fail. Then you have to look at your states rules.

Ken_Y

Jun 14, 2020
Pasadena
You don't have a choice especially if they are willing to replace it. Instead, just document your conversation and the duration which you do not have the vehicle. If the issues persists, then you can go the lemon law route but it was extremely time consuming and draining. I would expect the DU to be replaced and it'll be as good as new. You can see if they will offer some form of compensation (free supercharger miles). The manager may be able to do something.

GeekyDoc

Jan 18, 2021
PA
I would ask about warranty coverage on the new DU as well as document the heck out of all of it. Ensure you have someone saying that replacing with brand new DU and there will be no noise etc. Hopefully you will not have to resort to using any of this and this is the only blip in your ownership of an otherwise awesome EV. But if it ever swings the other way, you will have proof.

ambitious_avo

Feb 6, 2021
Los Angeles
Hello, I had a similar issue with the loud whining MY Loud Whine
Long story short, my vehicle was missing the penthouse perimeter seal and it had to be added. However, the SC initially thought it was my rear drive unit and they replaced that first which didn't correct the issue. After that appointment, I've had some significant vibration while driving and I'm having trouble getting this issue corrected. If you decide to pursue a buy-back option with Tesla, I'd like to know how the process is because I'm contemplating that myself.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC