Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tire (or wheel) Time is approaching... looking for suggestions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well those 21'' tires didn't last long at all... (Michilin pilot super sport or something like that) looks like they are going to give out in a little while, right around the 10k mark...

Anyone have tire recommendations? How is the sport contact Tesla offers? Tesla Continental Sport Contact 5 Tire

Tire life any better than 10k miles?

What about the 19'' winter package for 2500$? curious how those tired ride for year rounds in warmer areas (FL). Wish they had a little more option on the 19'' life....

Winter tires in FL will be horrible.
If you are seriously considering going to 19s, I recommend the Rial Luganos from Tire Rack. It's a Cyclone clone, and they are good wheels. Lots of TMCers have them. A full set of rims and good Michelin all season tires can be delivered to you for around $2100. Estimated wear is 25,000 to 45,000 miles depending on the driver. Tires are/around $160ea to replace. Far less expensive shoes.

21" wheel and tires setups are for folks who really enjoy buying tires...either for track use of for fashion.

my recommendation, since you live in FL, 19" Tsportline turbines (to keep that factory OEM turbine look), and 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. You could even go to 255s if you want. grip and ride is amazing. those tires not meant for snow though so anyone reading this, if you want an all-season all-year round tire (aka you're too lazy to have summer+winter sets) and don't mind some loss of dry traction on a P85 at full acceleration (only applies to RWD P85; as the S85 and dual motor variants won't have that slip), then i'd go with Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus instead.

My Hankook Ventus v12s (sorry. I know I have the name a bit wrong) have served me well. About 1/2 the price of the Michi's. I'm at 11K now and should get 15. Not a lot of miles. But that's the price we pay for those lovely 21'ers.

Coincidence...? Shameless plug for a friend who just posted some of these - *not* staggered: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/62860-Set-of-4-245-35-21-Hankook-Ventus-V12-Evo2

I like my PS2s, though keep hearing good things about these Hancock tires. Seriously tempted, though would need some additional data on grip characteristics - particularly for the wet we have all too often up here...

How are the 19s on snow? Just curious.

I said "cold weather", not "snow". :)

I have an ICE with proper snow tires for driving in the snow. I drive the MS all winter long in the cold with All-Season tires, but never in the snow. All-season tires are really only good for "light snow" anyway. I wouldn't drive them in anything more than 1/2" dusting of snow.

The 19" Hankooks I have are the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2.

Reactions: Bgarret
I said "cold weather", not "snow". :)

I have an ICE with proper snow tires for driving in the snow. I drive the MS all winter long in the cold with All-Season tires, but never in the snow. All-season tires are really only good for "light snow" anyway. I wouldn't drive them in anything more than 1/2" dusting of snow.

The 19" Hankooks I have are the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2.
I've already ordered cable chains for my driveway if things are too slick to get up it. Roads here are plowed and sanded promptly, so that isn't usually a problem. Don't really want to go to snow tires when 90% of my winter driving is on clear roads. And I will be down to just one car, so I won't have an ICE backup. But I also have the flexibility to just stay home for a day or two, if needed. (The nice thing about doing volunteer work is that I can do it when I please.)

Bridgestone turanza serenity plus 19 tires are what we are thinking about going with. Anyone have any experience with Bridgestone? We are considering them mainly for their warranty.

I put these on our Volvo ... I'm not very happy with them. Lots of road noise from them... but it may be the car, I dunno... we replaced a cheaper set of Firestone tires because of road noise as well, so I'm not entirely blaming it on the tire. I would like to try a set of Goodyear or some other brand and see if the road noise is eliminated. I have a gut feeling that it's the Bridgestone/Firestone brand that's the problem, not the car, but I don't have any hard evidence for it yet.

I second the Michelin Pilot A/S 3. Great performing tire in dry and wet conditions. Unfortunately, I only got 14,500 miles out of them before there was just 2/32 inch thread left (even wear across the tires; I rotated the tires about every 3,500 miles via Tesla or Costco, where I had purchased the tires). Costco is a great place to purchase Michelin tires. They prorated the tires for me without me even asking about it. I happened to be dealing with the service manager and when he heard how many miles were on the tires (just under 14,500 miles), he indicated that Costco likes their customers to always be happy and said he would prorate the cost for new tires. The tires have a 45,000 mile warranty, so instead of paying about $1,100 for 4 new tires with mounting, I was charged $320 for 4 new Pilot A/S 3 tires with mounting, balancing, road hazard protection, flat repairs and future tire balancing and rotations. Plus, they issued me a new 45,000 mile warranty on the replacement tires. Bottom line, if you decide to buy a Michelin or Bridgestone tire (the two brands Costco sells), buy them at Costco.

Pilot Super Sports have a 30,000 miles tread wear warranty. If you have a square wheel set up (non staggered) and rotate them as recommended, they should be covered under their excellent warranty.

If you have staggered wheels, and cannot rotate your tires, then there is no warranty.

hip

IMO it will be nearly impossible to achieve a decent service life from the rear tires on a classic with staggards with only half of the tire rotation options of a square set-up with OEM alignment bits within factory alignment specs. I have spent too much time experimenting with a wide range of ULs, TLs, and other modded front end bits required for "my" alignment settings, unorthodox tire rotations, unusual tire pressures to achieve 51K miles from my original square 21 Contis. I have recently switched to 21 Conti staggards and I will achieve the same or better results (since I have learned much in the first 50K). I always agree with yogi's statements regarding the cost-effectiveness and BRUTAL practicality on the 19s, especially on shelled roads that start around Northern Virginia and points north along the East Coast. I have found that the heavy, low-performance (contrary to popular belief), alignment sensitive, damage-prone, tire eating, inefficient, expensive, gorgeous 21s even with their rubber band sidewalls can survive on decent roads from Central Virginia all the way down to Key West but I will never recommend them. I am excited to receive the first batch of newly offered TSportline 20X9 (square) Gray Turbines next month where I will deploy 245/40-20 front, and 265/40-20 rear to keep the S looking fab/factory as the 19's are just a smidgen too small for my liking.

Good-Luck!

Last edited:
I am excited to receive the first batch of newly offered TSportline 20X9 (square) Gray Turbines next month where I will deploy 245/40-20 front, and 265/40-20 rear to keep the S looking fab/factory as the 19's are just a smidgen too small for my liking.

I have a square set of 20x9 T-Sportline bright silvers on reserve myself. Going with 255/40R20 Pilot Super Sports, those will become my summer set. I have a set of the 19x9.5 T-Sportlines that are currently on the car for the winter set.

I'll post some photos of the car with both on them when I switch from winters to summers next month.

Some

Splendid tire choice (type and size) as your's is far better than mine for several reasons, however, I just can't help myself when it comes to the staggard look.

I thought about the staggered setup, but I like the neutral handling of the square. BTW, I'm just an amateur when it comes to the finer points of this stuff, I have to give credit to lolachampcar: His setup is square, 20" wheels with Michelin PSS 255/40R20s and I trust that.