Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tire (or wheel) Time is approaching... looking for suggestions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've settled on 20" using Pilot Super Sports (cheaper and last longer than Tesla's PS2s while having more grip).
http://lolachampcar.com/images/P85D/DSC03606.JPG
Combined with removing 1 degree of negative camber in the rear (changed rear upper control arms) and near zero toe in on the rear and I corded one inside rear at roughly 20K miles while still having tread all the way across the tire. Go figure; had I been watching the shoulder and rotated across the rear a few thousand miles earlier I would likely have made it to 23-25K.

I have 19 Rial Luganos, stamps Made in Germany, and Hankook Ventus Evo II. I've hit a few potholes and I refuse to worry about issue associated with low profile 21s. 21s do look great though. I think the Hankooks are a great tire, and I ran them on my Acura.

I also think the the Rials (I got gunmetal grey with a Pearl White 70D) are a great deal and I think the "easily damaged" is a bad rap. Their 20s are coming out next month, but I'd by this same combo again. An infared picture of my tires did not show excessive heat towards the inside rears, although I do appreciate all he analysis lolachampcar has provided.

I sent an email to Rial in Germany yesterday. Here's there response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest.
These wheels are made in Poland.
I don't have any information on Luganos in 20" and there is nothing planned for the Tesla in this size for the upcoming winter season.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Patrick Gemoll
Verkauf Export RIAL/ ALUTEC
Export Sales RIAL/ ALUTEC

UNIWHEELS
Leichtmetallräder (Germany) GmbH
Gustav-Kirchhoff-Str. 10
67098 Bad Dürkheim
Germany

Tel.: +49 6322 9899-6133
Fax: +49 6322 9484-213
Mobile:
e-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.uniwheels.de

I've settled on 20" using Pilot Super Sports (cheaper and last longer than Tesla's PS2s while having more grip).

Question for you lolachampcar, First of thank you for all your contributions to the forum I've read through a few of your threads . I was hoping you could clarify something for me, with your PSS 255 tire setup do you get any wheel spin/ traction control when you launch off the line? Im assuming they are mounted on your P85D? with ludicrous? I only ask because I see some others struggling for grip though not using PSS tires and going to much wider sizes in the rear and I'm wondering if I will need to sacrifice tire rotation for more grip on the rear tires say PSS 285/35/20 for the best ludicrous experience off the line?

It has been my experience that tire slip on launch with anything near reasonable road surface is simply not a problem. The I and L have identical motor power profiles up to about 30 mph where the I is limited to about 1300 amps and the L continues to 1500 amps.

Another member recommended using slip start and a brisk application of "throttle" instead of stomping on it to improve launch. I tried that a few times, got a bit more initial wheel slip (felt it where I normally do not), and actually felt like a better launch. It would take drag strip or VBox 60 foot times to really see if there was a difference as Tesla has broken my data logger (with a software update that changed some CAN bus messages).

I did just have new rubber installed and, in the process, spent a few days running on the original 19s. It may be my imagination but I could swear I felt the 10 lbs per corner extra weight in the form of slower overall acceleration. Again, no data and my butt dyno is notoriously unreliable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy