Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Tesla - undecided on seat config, any help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Im in the UK and new to the world of Tesla, having this weekend placed an order for a P100D Model X. We have a few days left to make alterations. (is there a UK forum I should be using?)

Bit of a long post, but I'd appreciate the help or comments.

This will be a replacement for our new Land Rover Discovery (yes the one with the weird back end).

We have so far specified the 7 seat option, but are now flip flopping over whether to go for the 6 seat.

Our dilema and thinking is as follows, if anyone has any other comments it would be helpful.

7 seat positives:
  • vastly increased load area
  • ability to have one child seat on the 40 split and another in the 3rd row, folding the rest flat leaving a large, long load area with both child seats in.
  • no rolling of items from the rear load area into the cabin
  • middle seat between children becomes somewhere to rest their ipads, colouring books etc.

7 seat negatives:
  • with child seat in each outer of 2nd row, no access to third row
  • folding bench seat a bit "cheap" for this level of car, or 6 seat has a bit more "wow" factor
  • Harder to clean all the cr@p that children drop in and around car seats
  • 3rd row passengers "disconnected" from the cabin
  • restricted read visibility, even with the new lower headrest - the discovery ALWAYS has the centre head rest dropped for this reason.

6 seat positives:
  • Access to the third row without needing to remove child seats
  • looks much better for a car of this price tag
  • easier to clean up what the kids drop.
  • 3rd row passengers feel part of the cabin
  • improved rear visibility

6 seat negatives:
  • Where do the kids put their ipads, colouring books, Happy meal boxes etc. They cant reach the floor very well when sat in their booster seats.
  • stuff rolling into the cabin from the load area
  • reduced load ability as the seats dont fold flat
  • can no longer have seven occupants (only ever used twice).

Now, as we have a Ford S-Max, which has seven seats and can all fold flat (and takes a child seat in the outer and middle of the 2nd row) Im starting to think I can go for the 6 seats and have a more fancy looking interior. The largest issue I am thinking about is where do the kids put their stuff, as currently they layit on the middle seat in front of them.

Is there some sort of cooler (the discovery has a fridge) that we can put in there that I can move around? Thus keeping the area for kids to put stuff, and also the access to the 3rd row when required.

Sorry for the long post, but any comments greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris.

Don’t have kids but a couple of comments. Rear visibility sucks no matter what so I have the rear camera up all the time. Makes all the difference. The rear mirror is useless. :D

If you ever want to use the car to carry anything large, you’ll love the fold flat seat (as mentioned). And you can slide the 40 part of the seat forward (even if not as automatically as the 6 seater pedestals). If you rarely use the back row, I think the seven is the way to go. We got that config just for the flexibility of it. Good luck!

Don’t have kids but a couple of comments. Rear visibility sucks no matter what so I have the rear camera up all the time. Makes all the difference. The rear mirror is useless. :D

Hi, Thanks for this - im currently researching the load dimensions to see exactly what Im missing out on.

However with regard to the rear camera, Im not sure if we can have this permanently enabled in the UK, I reckon it will likely fall foul of regulations we have here about moving images being displayed over 5mph. Any UK owners confirm if this can be done?

I wrote a blog post about it:

https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/model-x-5-6-or-7-seats

I think you have the pros and cons pretty well summarized, except I would say I haven’t experienced any of those negatives of the 6-seater (other than not having 7 seats or being able to fold the 2nd row). In the 3rd row, the kids iPads fit fine between the seats or to the side. Yes, occasionally they might drop something but if the kids are in the 3rd row, most certainly an adult is in the 2nd row and can assist them. The large open space is like an open cabin so an adult in the 2nd row can easily attend to kids/babies in the 3rd row and other 2nd row seat. Vacuuming is easy due to the openness, and definitely have to vacuum frequently with small kids!

Note: You’ll need a narrow booster seat for the 3rd row. Many booster seats are too wide to fit.

https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blo...s-diono-radian-rxt-convertible-child-car-seat
https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/model-s-x-and-3-tips-a-cheap-child-booster-that-fits

Hi RedBall,

Sorry I am late to the party...
6 or 7 seats are both great...
I have no children and chose the 7 seat configuration because it was the least expensive option
to get the additional air conditioning-heating hardware... A/C has been great...

Shawn

Just to conclude this thread, I can confirm we went with the six seat option.

Reasons:
  • We have a 7 year old ford S-Max which if we have another rare occasion where we absolutely need to transport 7 people we can use.
  • Ditto the S-max for load carrying
  • The six seat config just seems to have more wow factor. When spending this kind of money I wanted it to feel as special as possble.
  • Access to the 3rd row seats without having to remove one of the two child seats on the 2nd row was also a driving factor.
Now - I just need to find some way of counteracting the last remaining "negatives" for the 6 seat, namely a rear boot tidy, and something to put between the two 2nr row seats for the kids to hold their ipads in etc.

For the problem of kid's storing their belongings in the back seat, they do sell little boxes that go under the center console in the back seat. Perhaps those could do some good for you in terms of storage.

Here's the link to the amazon page

I've seen someone mention it in a video before and it looks like it would be a good fit for you, although it is a little small.
Thanks, yes I found those, but my kids are still fairly small, 6 and 4, so its a bit of a stretch to the centre console. I was looking for something along the lines of the centre console that appears to have previously been offered with the six seat option (looking at youtube vids). Although removeable would be useful.

I think what we will do is get seat protectors and then a bed/sofa arm tidy and stitch them together so that the tidy hangs down to the left of the right seat and the right of the left seat. leaving the space in the middle obstacle free. Where theres a will theres a way.

Im amazed that nobody has come up with a solution and marketed it, or indeed that Tesla havent engineered a removable option and flogged it to families for a few hundred quid/dollars.

That center lounge is pretty cool! I, however, have found that the occupants of the 3rd row benefit greatly from the ability to stretch their legs out between the 2nd row seats... and this would block that. Really nice option though!

I would also agree with a previous poster that the 6-seat config makes the 3rd row feel like a part of the group. :D

I hope you have many years of enjoyment out of your MX!! Congrats!

Im starting to think I can go for the 6 seats and have a more fancy looking interior.
The largest issue I am thinking about is where do the kids put their stuff,
as currently they layit on the middle seat in front of them.
Unless you really need 7 seats or carry a lot of furniture or plywood the 6 seats is the more practical and confortable.

If you put booster seats on the 2nd row, adults can still easily use the 3rd row.

Also kids grow up very fast and will need room for their legs when sitting on the 3rd row.

Is there some sort of cooler (the discovery has a fridge) that we can put in there that I can move around?
Thus keeping the area for kids to put stuff, and also the access to the 3rd row when required.
It is easy to put a cooler between the two middle seats.

There are also on YouTube some example of custom made boxes,
designed to carry items such as skis, poles, and moon boots inside a long box.