Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the world of Tesla and electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - Long time reader, first time poster!

I've just placed an order for the Model 3 performance last week after years of umming and ahing.

I'm new to the whole thing so I've got some questions that I hope you might be able to help me with!
  • How long after ordering will I find out when a car has been assigned? Tried the source code thing but I can't find a VIN in there
  • What's the process to get a charger installed? I've seen names like Podpoint, BP, Zappi and Hypervolt mentioned - are any better than the others? I also see the grant is disappearing at the end of March so I guess I'll need to get my skates on and get it sorted
  • Are there any recommended chargepoint installers in the North East (North Tyneside)?
  • Can I get the charger installed straight away or do I need to wait for a VIN to be assigned or the car to be delivered?
  • Looking at another thread there's talk of a different battery/motors/chip on the newer cars along with double glazed rear glass - will I be able to work out if I have those when I get a VIN or will I only find out on the day of delivery? I also see the lowered suspension has been removed from the description for the Performance - is this definitely gone?
  • My order page had an estimated delivery date of March but that now appears to have disappeared. Should I be worried?
  • Are cars still arriving with missing USB ports and wireless chargers?
  • I see Tesla sell some PPF for the bit behind the rear doors - is this a must?
  • For those with babies or young children; will I need to get a shade for the rear glass? Do all seat bases fit? And are there any recommended shades for the rear windows?
Thank you all in advance :D

Have a good search for your other questions, many might have been answered.

For chargers, try this playlist for info

For houses with low-amperage limits eg 60 amps, an electrician/installer can supply something that goes around cables and suspends charging when high-usage is on, eg all bits of electric ovens on, shower, electric everything. Getting a 60 or 80 amp upgraded to 100 (is more possible?) might be easy or hard, for us it was hard, so we have one of these. Stops us using more than the house supply's limit. Check you don't have a looped supply and think where to charge, especially if more than 1 electric car might need charging. Very rarely houses or a garage that's had machinery in might be 3-phase, but very rare in UK. 3-phase would allow 11-22kw charging - Tesla limited to 11kw I believe (but ev database suggests 22kw). Some other cars can do 22kw. Normal 1 phase domestic is 7.4kw

Chargers come with different length cables (or no cable, use car's), you might benefit from a longer one if you're going to charge multiple cars without moving them or where they have different chargeport locations (Tesla is rear left / nearside).

1642956826044.png

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
That's a lot of questions. I'll take the charge point ones.

unless you have 3phase electric all the chargers are 7kw and they all work pretty well. some are better for solar than others but they all do the job. there are no really bad brands or chargers that I am aware of at least not on the olev approved list.
My tip is get the list of olev registered installers in your area find a local independent and negotiate the best deal you can
You don't need to wait to have the car or the vin but you are supposed to be within x months of getting it. not sure what x is installer will be able to tell you

Reactions: UkNorthampton
How long after ordering will I find out when a car has been assigned? Tried the source code thing but I can't find a VIN in there
This somewhat depends when you order within the quarter. A car will typically be assigned once it has been loaded on a ship. For you, at this point in the quarter, I'd expect to hear something within the next 3 weeks.

I also see the lowered suspension has been removed from the description for the Performance - is this definitely gone?
It isn't known at this point if it is a mistake or if it is being removed. I assume you ordered before the update? I'd expect all Q1 vehicles to have lowered suspension whatever happens.

Are cars still arriving with missing USB ports and wireless chargers?
Due to the way Tesla build and sell vehicles in the same quarter, no new vehicles have arrived in the UK since December. At that point the USB ports where missing. No one will know about Q1 2022 vehicles until they start to arrive.

I see Tesla sell some PPF for the bit behind the rear doors - is this a must?
Less so now that Tesla fit mud flaps as standard to UK vehicles, and I believe they have hardened up the coating on the rocker covers anyway. I'd say most people don't bother.

Thanks @Jason71 for that list of installers, I've grabbed a handful that are based up here and I'll start trying to find reviews and whittling it down further before calling up and negotiating!

I highly doubt I have 3 phase electrics as I live in an older house (60's built I think), if anything I fear I've probably got a looped supply judging by the many wires going into the meter under the stairs 😬. I've watched a couple of videos and it looks like there's a lot of work involved with unlooping which isn't great...

@UkNorthampton what you describe sounds interesting as it looks like I only have a 60 amps fuse.

Re: the fuse and unlooping (or finding out for sure if I'm on a looped supply), do I need to speak to Northern Powergrid first or will the installer handle all of that for me?

Thanks @Jason71 for that list of installers, I've grabbed a handful that are based up here and I'll start trying to find reviews and whittling it down further before calling up and negotiating!

I highly doubt I have 3 phase electrics as I live in an older house (60's built I think), if anything I fear I've probably got a looped supply judging by the many wires going into the meter under the stairs 😬. I've watched a couple of videos and it looks like there's a lot of work involved with unlooping which isn't great...

@UkNorthampton what you describe sounds interesting as it looks like I only have a 60 amps fuse.

Re: the fuse and unlooping (or finding out for sure if I'm on a looped supply), do I need to speak to Northern Powergrid first or will the installer handle all of that for me?
Can't get in the garage to look/photo, but it's a CT Clip - something like https://www.tradesparky.com/solarsp...mers/myenergi-ct100-16-05-transformer-5m-100a - but the EVSE installer added it for no charge. I did warn them ahead of time though.

BTW, more choice for EVSE now, if shopping now/advising, I might look at Hypervolt, MyEnergi Zappi or something different that would work with multiple chargers/EVs now ie share power intelligently (priority vehicle, solar, cheap tariff dump into cars).

Installation video... of course it needs to attach to EVSe/charger as well

Less so now that Tesla fit mud flaps as standard to UK vehicles, and I believe they have hardened up the coating on the rocker covers anyway. I'd say most people don't bother.
Oooh... my car will come with mud flaps will it? I thought I'd have to buy them and get them installed after collecting... that's a nice bonus then!

I have no affiliation but JDM Earth in Hartlepool come highly recommended in the North East - great customer service and support 01429 287608. They will talk you through all the options etc, advise you on your main fuse etc. Would recommend you give them a call

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
Oooh... my car will come with mud flaps will it? I thought I'd have to buy them and get them installed after collecting... that's a nice bonus then!
Yep, the M3 has been coming with front mud flaps as standard for some time now. Normally the stubby ones are pre-fitted with the extensions left in the boot. Tesla don’t do rear ones but you can get aftermarket ones if you wish.

We wait and see if the MY will come with them; Tesla has been supplying them as standard in other European countries.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
How long after ordering will I find out when a car has been assigned? Tried the source code thing but I can't find a VIN in there

Mine was only a few weeks. It varies massively. Don’t worry.
  • What's the process to get a charger installed? I've seen names like Podpoint, BP, Zappi and Hypervolt mentioned - are any better than the others? I also see the grant is disappearing at the end of March so I guess I'll need to get my skates on and get it sorted
I just bought the Tesla one. Installed by a credible sparky and worked flawlessly so far. Will do a 0-90% in 8ish hours.
  • Are there any recommended chargepoint installers in the North East (North Tyneside)
Sorry not from up there
  • Can I get the charger installed straight away or do I need to wait for a VIN to be assigned or the car to be delivered?
Not sure
  • Looking at another thread there's talk of a different battery/motors/chip on the newer cars along with double glazed rear glass - will I be able to work out if I have those when I get a VIN or will I only find out on the day of delivery? I also see the lowered suspension has been removed from the description for the Performance - is this definitely gone?
  • My order page had an estimated delivery date of March but that now appears to have disappeared. Should I be worried?
Nope. Mine said March. It came and went, came and went and the car arrived after 4 weeks not 3 months! Don’t worry. What will be will be. If you’re ready to collect and not waiting to sell your old car - like I was - you’re in a good place.
Mine was - 4 weeks ago - it wasn’t mentioned on collection and the world hasn’t ended. Plenty of other ports in the car and easy to book an appointment to get them fitted anyway.
I will be getting this although maybe too late. The grit this year has been horrible and strangely dark and black. Is it just me……?
  • For those with babies or young children; will I need to get a shade for the rear glass? Do all seat bases fit? And are there any recommended shades for the rear windows?

I had an 80% tint fitted for a Aesthetics. Not had any sun since I’ve owned it! 😂😂

I’ve had a couple of sparkies out to survey and the good news is even though I’m on a looped supply they can use the CT clamp so no need to dig up the driveway but that’s where the good news ends.

Because my consumer unit is ancient and has no space that’ll need to be upgraded, the bonding to the gas pipe needs upgrading and there’s no bonding to the water so that needs to be installed which means a bit of upheaval to get the wire from the hall into the kitchen so floorboards and carpets will need lifting up. Cable needs to go through the hall and into the living room to reach the driveway so that’s more carpets and floorboards that needs lifting.

I’ve got another question for those who have these as company cars; if I upgraded to EAP later on after delivery, is that a taxable benefit? Same for the £10 a month connectivity

Hi - Long time reader, first time poster!

I've just placed an order for the Model 3 performance last week after years of umming and ahing.

I'm new to the whole thing so I've got some questions that I hope you might be able to help me with!
  • How long after ordering will I find out when a car has been assigned? Tried the source code thing but I can't find a VIN in there
  • Are there any recommended chargepoint installers in the North East (North Tyneside)?
This was an article in autoexpress within the last couple of months. It may help, for me the app is very important as a few are not very good especially at being able to time your charge to cheap rate.

We have a Charged EV unit (untethered), personally I’d say if you can afford tethered then go that route, just easier when it’s peeing down lol (newbie mistake on my part). We have 2 EV and have no issues running both off one charger (separately).

Last edited:
I’m a company car owner and I’ve had the car for 18 months - still get full satellite mapping/traffic and Spotify with no £10 per month outlay. I’ve read elsewhere that Tesla and the lease companies can’t be bothered to sort out payment systems so we just get it 😀

I haven’t bothered with the ppf ….it’s leased so fair wear n tear is covered anyway. One thing I would recommend is Alloygators or similar on the wheels though. They’re really easy to kerb as the wheel protrudes beyond the tyre by about 2mm. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla didn’t fit tyres with rim protection as standard.

Reactions: Beady3647