Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (to us) Model X! Question regarding FWD door seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all!

We did a thing last week. We finally made the decision to upgrade from our 2016 refresh Model S 75 with AP1. We picked up a 2018 Model X 100D from Tesla.

I do have a question for the forums though, upon delivery, we noticed that the FWD door seals on the exterior have deteriorated. I am working with Tesla on getting them replaced under warranty, but in my initial conversation with them regarding it, they said that they are cosmetic and likely won't fall into the warranty category.

We've had rain every single time we've drove it since and haven't had any leaks or wind noise or anything to be concerned about, it just looks terrible every time the doors open.

Are there any cheap solutions to fix this if I can't get Tesla to correct it? My service center said that in order for them to fix it, that they'd have to replace all of the glass where the effected seals have deteriorated, which is all of it.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0393.jpegIMG_0401.jpegIMG_0525.jpegIMG_0442.jpegIMG_0426.jpegIMG_0424.jpeg

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few threads about this here.

Start with this one:

- yes they are considered cosmetic
- no Tesla won't replace them for free
- they are actually part of the glass
- it's $2500 to replace the glass
- your service center is behaving normally
- there is a product that people use to make the rubber behave better
(Gummi Pflege, search Amazon)

Hope this helps.

And if it did, I'll just point out there is a 'like' button feature on this site: I'm not above asking for likes. We all like to be liked. I even 'liked' your post for no other reason than it's your first post. It's all about the likes.

Yeah that ain't pretty and didn't hold up very well for only being a 2018. If I were in your shoes though, I'd just leave it since replacing ALL the glass may introduce other issues.

Speaking of falcon doors, if your son's are old enough, you should have them run through the exercise of opening the falcons in an emergency from the speaker grill. If you haven't already of course :)

Reactions: LateToTheParty