Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New trailer based battery swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always thought this sort of system would be a great addition, particularly for areas like vacation spots that get slammed, but not very often.
However, I don't see how this is practical unless batteries are leased or somehow not personally owned. Otherwise the logistics seem pretty difficult

One of the issues with battery swap in general is that people don't want 'any old battery'. So, unless this is a total replacement for charging, it's really not expected to take off. It's also subject to abuse, as when you get a battery you 'don't like' and you go back for another, and another, and....

Now, for trucks, where people don't care about split-second performance or the nitty-gritty details of how a pack has been treated, and just want it 'to work', perhaps it's a better long-term idea?

My concept of battery swapping is that each battery keeps track of how it has been (ab)used and people are charged a degradation charge in addition to the flat lease rate. That would also be used to tell when a battery has decreased range and there might be a special rate for people who didn't care if the battery they got had only 90% of the normal range.