Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so now they say they're sending me a new wall connector. I asked if they're going to send a tech or pay for an electrician to swap it out. They should.
You most likely only need to swap the front portion of the wall connector not the mounting plate. You could turn off the breaker for the wall connector, remove the four screws, pull off the front part that includes the cable, then put the new one on, four screws. Would take less than 5 minutes.

This would stay connected and wired up.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 2.08.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 2.10.37 PM.png

I'll just toss out there that some of the aftermarket Tesla -> J1772 adaptors appear to do something electronically. I think they force the Tesla WC to some other mode. I have a WC v2. If I put one of my Tesla>J1772 adaptors on and immediately plug in my leaf, it doesn't work. I have to wait 10 seconds or so before I can plug in the car. The other adaptor works more quickly. I'm not really sure what they have going.

Just because a different adaptor works doesn't mean there is a problem with the included adaptor. I would bet its a problem with the handshake and the aftermarket adaptors have worked around it.

My WC v2 is in default mode, so I don't think I have the compatibility switch enabled.

I'll just toss out there that some of the aftermarket Tesla -> J1772 adaptors appear to do something electronically. I think they force the Tesla WC to some other mode. I have a WC v2. If I put one of my Tesla>J1772 adaptors on and immediately plug in my leaf, it doesn't work. I have to wait 10 seconds or so before I can plug in the car. The other adaptor works more quickly. I'm not really sure what they have going.

Just because a different adaptor works doesn't mean there is a problem with the included adaptor. I would bet its a problem with the handshake and the aftermarket adaptors have worked around it.

My WC v2 is in default mode, so I don't think I have the compatibility switch enabled.
The Lectron says I need to wait 30 seconds after plugging it into Tesla cable before I plug it into my car

That is a good point. Perhaps variations in the board components sourced? Software bugs can definitely happen when suppliers choose between two "interchangeable" components.
Hopefully there were some bad units as they are sending me a new one. Who knows.

Anyone out there with the new universal wall unit that CONSISTENTLY is able to charge a non Tesla?

Unfortunately I have a new Universal Wall Connector sitting in my house, waiting to install at a second home in place of the current NEMA 14-50, probably over Thanksgiving weekend because I can't get there sooner. It's to charge my Model Y and some family members' Model 3s, as well as my Rivian R1S. Rather than wait to install it and have it not work, maybe I should just call them and ask to send a new one and I'll send this back.

At least I have a TeslaTap Mini I use with the nearly 10 year old Tesla Wall Connector in my home garage. I'll make sure to take that along so I'm not stranded in any event.

I seem to be having the same issue after installing my Tesla Universal Wall Connector yesterday. The included J1772 adapter does not work.

The LED on the Tesla UWC is green when plugging into a non-Tesla vehicle. The Lightning instrument cluster shows that it is plugged in but "Charging station not detected." I tried with a Bolt and it shows a message saying it cannot charge. It's almost like the embedded J1772 adapter isn't connected to the Tesla UWC.

The Tesla UWC does charge a Tesla and does charge a non-Tesla vehicle when using the Lectron Tesla-to-J1772 adapter.

I submitted a request for support to Tesla through their website, but they do everything they can do limit your ability to get support.

Reactions: cdub
man now I feel fortunate that mine works. I have never used anything other than the built in J1772 adapter though. Not sure if that has anything to do with why mine has been working. I havent ever charged a tesla with it.

man now I feel fortunate that mine works. I have never used anything other than the built in J1772 adapter though. Not sure if that has anything to do with why mine has been working. I havent ever charged a tesla with it.
First thing I tried charging after installation was the F150 Lightning. When it didn't work, I tried a Tesla and another non-Tesla. It's the adapter.

Reactions: cdub
So using the tape trick, I separated the adapter from the Tesla Universal Wall Connector and tried it on another, functioning Universal Wall Connector.

It worked, which leads me to believe it is not the adapter itself. Still at a loss for how to get in touch with Tesla about this.