Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contact support via troubleshooting on the website
Have you tried this before?

Once you navigate to the troubleshooting page for wall connectors, you'll find these options:
1698804762521.png

I didn't see a Universal Wall Connector, so I select Gen 3.

Now, which problem do I select since none of them accurately describe the problem?

1698804684781.png

Selecting Error or No Lights, you'll notice there isn't one for "solid green"

1698804841039.png

Whatever option you select, you're trying to navigate to some kind of customer service interaction.

All options in this choose your own adventure lead to this form submission page:

1698804898735.png

I have submitted requests with details here. I have heard nothing.

All of Tesla's previously published email addresses for support have autoresponders saying the email addresses are no longer monitored.

All bad my friends, all bad.

So using the tape trick, I separated the adapter from the Tesla Universal Wall Connector and tried it on another, functioning Universal Wall Connector.

It worked, which leads me to believe it is not the adapter itself. Still at a loss for how to get in touch with Tesla about this.
Sounds like you had the same issues I have had. I contacted Tesla support from the website going through the universal wall adaptor "diagnosis" button. They prompted me to go through some basic troubleshooting.

I did have some frustrations in a lack of a proper ticketing system, so until they answer there is no indication of them receiving your communication, and no ticket number. I am in Canada, so perhaps your country will be different.

Waiting for a new unit to be shipped, hopeful that the new unit will work.

Reactions: Orangecello
I think it makes more sense to go to the "contact us" page and and use the chat feature

Contact us page.

Chat page
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the Chat feature, which wasn't apparent in the Tesla App or their website. I have seen it before but always outside of the available hours.

I still haven't heard back on any of the emails. A proper ticketing system would at least let me know that my request is in a queue somewhere.

Reactions: KevinT3141
The chat function worked to get in touch with a person at Tesla. Their approach:

As discussed, please adjust the Access Control settings for the wall connector to Compatibility Mode.

From there, please plug in one of the vehicles, unplug it immediately, and plug it back in (using the wall connector's J1772 adapter). If charging does not start, please leave the vehicle connected for at least an hour, letting me know of any changes.

Reactions: cdub
Update: The wall connector doesn't work, again. No idea what's going on (still). Tesla support is sending out a replacement.
This has been my experience. I might be able to get it work by a miracle and then a couple of days later it doesn't work again.

It looks like they shipped the new wall charger and it gets here on Tuesday. 🤞

Got the new unit last night. I'll probably try installing it later this morning.
Ok I installed it and EVERYTHING WORKS. :)

It's set to all vehicles and instantly turns blue when my Leaf is plugged in. That never happened before. Then about 10 seconds later my Leaf starts charging. Of course works with the Y as well.

Of course the real test is if it works again tomorrow or the next day.

But it's never done this before so it's better than before.

Ok I installed it and EVERYTHING WORKS. :)

It's set to all vehicles and instantly turns blue when my Leaf is plugged in. That never happened before. Then about 10 seconds later my Leaf starts charging. Of course works with the Y as well.

Of course the real test is if it works again tomorrow or the next day.

But it's never done this before so it's better than before.
Day later and still working just fine! 🙏🤞😊

Reactions: Runamok82
Hi all, I have a Universal Wall Connecter and a V3 Wall Connector (via referral credit). Thinking of installing both on my single 60amp line and set up the power sharing. Has anyone done this? the commissioning process looks fairly involved. Don’t want to hijack this post but seemed a good place to ask.

Hi all, I have a Universal Wall Connecter and a V3 Wall Connector (via referral credit). Thinking of installing both on my single 60amp line and set up the power sharing. Has anyone done this? the commissioning process looks fairly involved. Don’t want to hijack this post but seemed a good place to ask.
I havent but per the manual it doesnt look too bad. Of course main thing is to set max network current at 48 amps. Configure the leader first, then follower. There was a YT video of a guy with two Teslas charging where the cars load balance the circuit when one car had more draw it lowered on the other, etc. Pretty cool.

Just did this about a week ago. The commission process is super simple software wise...power sharing setup was a breeze. The hardest part of the process was getting my phone to stay connected to the wall connector wifi (kept wanting to disconnect since there was no internet) but...even that wasn't terrible.

My Tesla Universal Wall Connector charges my wife's Model S without issues, but was not recognized by my Audi E-Tron GT. I called Tesla support and they ran all sorts of tests (even having me send a video of me plugging the charger into the Audi and showing that there was no reaction / response). They went ahead and sent me a new UWC and asked me send original unit back. Ironically, while waiting for the replacement unit, the UWC successfully charged my Audi twice, but then wasn't recognized by the car again. The replacement unit recently arrived and I installed it / commissioned it and it still is not recognized by the Audi. Now, I even get a red light on the E-tron charging dock light.