Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New VIN required after paid in full - anyone have experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a home delivery so payment is required in full before it can be scheduled. Our delivery was scheduled for 3/31 but as the car was being prepped for delivery it was discovered that the VIN plate on the dash did not match the VIN of the door sill.

After a week of waiting, the guidance is that they do not know how long it would take to fix because they've never encountered this before, and are suggesting we take a new VIN assignment.

I'm just wondering how this works though? All of our paperwork was sent two weeks ago tomorrow. The loan is finalized. The checks are cashed. I left a message with my loan officer but I'm very curious as to how others have dealt with this while I wait. I'm hoping it's not as big an issue as I'm thinking it will be.

If all else is the same I would hope that your bank can just generate new paperwork with the updated VIN, that's assuming that the VIN is included in the banks paperwork. It may be that you only need to supply the new MVPA to them and it's all good. Your bank is probably the only one that can actually answer this for you though as it probably varies from one to another.

I'm just wondering how this works though? All of our paperwork was sent two weeks ago tomorrow. The loan is finalized. The checks are cashed. I left a message with my loan officer but I'm very curious as to how others have dealt with this while I wait. I'm hoping it's not as big an issue as I'm thinking it will be.

If all else is the same I would hope that your bank can just generate new paperwork with the updated VIN, that's assuming that the VIN is included in the banks paperwork. It may be that you only need to supply the new MVPA to them and it's all good. Your bank is probably the only one that can actually answer this for you though as it probably varies from one to another.

Most loans are secured against the particular VIN. And almost all banks require the loan to be paid off and a new loan applied for if the collateral changes. (That could mean the loss of a promotional APR, etc.)

A few banks will let you file a "substitution of collateral" form to swap it from securing against one VIN to another. But only they can tell you what their process is.

I wonder what the status of the car with the "other" VIN is...

Most loans are secured against the particular VIN. And almost all banks require the loan to be paid off and a new loan applied for if the collateral changes. (That could mean the loss of a promotional APR, etc.)

A few banks will let you file a "substitution of collateral" form to swap it from securing against one VIN to another. But only they can tell you what their process is.

I wonder what the status of the car with the "other" VIN is...

Thank you this was the type of information I was looking for. I’ll report back here when it is resolved, should anyone else find themselves in a similar situation.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think SoCal is a different animal, or at least states with delivery centers. My car ships to the closest out of state center and then requires a third party carrier to bring it to my home.
Mine came from the Fremont factory directly, so I'm not sure how it works elsewhere :)

FWIW, in the past I would pay for a car until I inspected it. With the Tesla return policy now, I guess it doesn't really matter.