Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Used Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing you may want to consider:

Tesla offers very low values on a trade in. I know because I just had them give me a trade in value on my Tesla. If you want an idea of the trade in value on a used Tesla go to KBB and go lowest book value on trade in and subtract roughly 8000$. I was shocked.

Now keep in mind, if you are buying used from a private party, that the seller is over a barrel. Tesla will not give him squat for his car and so he has no option but to sell it on the used market. Plus depending on what state you live in you may not have to pay sales tax when buying from a private seller.

Due to warranty considerations you may be better off buying a CPO. However you are going to pay around 8000$ more for a CPO than buying from a private seller. So whether a CPO is better than a private party is a crap shoot on how reliable your particular car is.

Lots of times you can find a CPO from a private party that still has the CPO warranty. which is good.

Bottom line though is that it is expensive to own a Tesla. IMO no matter how you do it it's going to cost you 1000$/month in depreciation to own one. If 1000$/month depreciation is more than you can stomach then don't buy a Tesla.

I'm almost of the mind you might as well lease. I've seen some lease takeovers for 1000$/month

One thing you may want to consider:

Tesla offers very low values on a trade in. I know because I just had them give me a trade in value on my Tesla. If you want an idea of the trade in value on a used Tesla go to KBB and go lowest book value on trade in and subtract roughly 8000$. I was shocked.

Now keep in mind, if you are buying used from a private party, that the seller is over a barrel. Tesla will not give him squat for his car and so he has no option but to sell it on the used market. Plus depending on what state you live in you may not have to pay sales tax when buying from a private seller.

Due to warranty considerations you may be better off buying a CPO. However you are going to pay around 8000$ more for a CPO than buying from a private seller. So whether a CPO is better than a private party is a crap shoot on how reliable your particular car is.

Lots of times you can find a CPO from a private party that still has the CPO warranty. which is good.

Bottom line though is that it is expensive to own a Tesla. IMO no matter how you do it it's going to cost you 1000$/month in depreciation to own one. If 1000$/month depreciation is more than you can stomach then don't buy a Tesla.

I'm almost of the mind you might as well lease. I've seen some lease takeovers for 1000$/month

Just wondering where have you been doing your price comparisons to come to a conclusion that private sales are usually around $8k less than a CPO? Usually, the best prices are with tesla itself if you are patient enough.

Reactions: b team
I'm seriously considering to purchasing this new car....Would like to hear from some experts here...thanks in advance...

https://www. tesla.com/new/5YJSA1E28HF214186?redirect=no

Model S
  • 90 kWh Battery
  • Dual Motor all wheel drive
  • 286 miles range (EPA)
  • 4.2 seconds 0-60 mph
2017 50 miles 214186

$83,500 - $7500 fed tax credit - $5000 CO credit = $71,000 + tax

Features

1. All-Wheel Drive
  2. Solid Black Paint
  3. Glass Roof
  4. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  5. Dark Ash Wood Décor
  6. Dark Headliner
  7. Enhanced Autopilot (AP2.5)
  8. Smart Air Suspension

Last edited:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    387.1 KB · Views: 102
These inventory and CPO cars are moving so quickly, plus there is very limited inventory at the moment.

My father just missed out on the order window to get an X 75D delivered by the end of the year (100D order slots are still available). I’m not sure if people are buying because of the possibility of the tax credit expiring or if Tesla is holding things back until Q1 2018 for Model 3 tax credit purposes - likely a combination of the two.

Yeah, also if you are buying a used car which is 2-3 years old, one major expense would be around Tires.. so factor that in as I havent added a row for that.

A set of original equipment Primacy MXM4 tires from tirerack is 804, so add a grand to your price of used if you think it needs tires. On what is likely at least a 40k car, that's not much to worry about.

for the under $50k crowd.

if you guys/gals are waiting for this stuff to pop up on the used site, all due respect but you're doing it wrong. call and speak with a CPO person and tell them what you want, and what you want to pay. they'll find something for you.
there was nothing listed anywhere near my budget on the site when I called them. they called me back with three cars in my budget that met my desired specs. then a P85 came in off a corp lease and they sold it to me for $5k under my top price.

i'm yet to see a '13 P85 for near what I paid, with under 60k miles.

Talk to your OA
for the under $50k crowd.

if you guys/gals are waiting for this stuff to pop up on the used site, all due respect but you're doing it wrong. call and speak with a CPO person and tell them what you want, and what you want to pay. they'll find something for you.
there was nothing listed anywhere near my budget on the site when I called them. they called me back with three cars in my budget that met my desired specs. then a P85 came in off a corp lease and they sold it to me for $5k under my top price.

i'm yet to see a '13 P85 for near what I paid, with under 60k miles.
Definitely agree... though mileage through the OA's will vary, the first one I had not so great.. second one did a good job hunting a car down for me.....

Reactions: Olds442
Yeah, OAs can be hit or miss. If anyone needs a recommendation, shoot me a PM. The car I bought was an inventory car that never showed up on ev-cpo or the other sites and I had 3 or 4 more I was looking at that also weren't on those sites.

Yes, if you have a good OA that you would recommend, please PM me. I am in the Orange County area and looking to get a good deal on a CPO. All the one good ones are sold by the time they show up on any site.

Thanks!!
Sam

The more and more I look folks are listing their used ,1 model year behind (old seats , AP) too high. I am talking about the Model X specifically.

I see plenty of high 80-90k on auto trader. These are folks who got the $7500 rebate and used the car plenty.

You can get new for 85k after rebate with new tech, unlimited SC and even lower financing. I’ve seen plenty sitting and they will continue to sit on used market. Another flaw is you can’t extend the warranty unless it’s by owner and paid for now with the inflated used price.
If you buy new. It’s yours and you have 4 years or mileage to decide on the extra $4k.

Keep your eyes open

Reactions: BinaryField