Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs. Used - Help me decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

c041v

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I've been a long time forum member and am finally ready to pull the trigger on... something. I've managed to convince my wife that a Model 3 LR AWD is the ticket, but now comes the decision, new vs. used:

Looking at a LR AWD / Metallic Grey / 19" / White Interior / FSD for the configuration. I'm torn at the moment as there is a used car halfway across the country (I'm in Canada) for a great price, but it is not physically practical for me to view the car to make a determination the of current condition. I'm waiting on the current owner to get back to me with some pictures and measurements regarding normal wear and tear items and known issues. I have bought cars sight unseen across the country before and I'm trying to learn my lesson, but there is always a risk in the things you can see from pictures or not having driven the car.

Then there is new - the price was recently dropped with the standard inclusion of AP, but taxes, delivery, etc all apply.

Here are the hard numbers:

Used:
2018 LR AWD / Metallic Grey / 19" / White Interior / FSD (August 2018 build, 107XXX VIN)
16,200 km
Includes: 18" Aero wheel and tires, 3D MAXpider mats, Ceramic paint coating
$73k CDN (Not the exact number, but there's some thing I'm factoring)

New:
2019 LR AWD / Metallic Grey / 19" / White Interior / FSD
0 km
Includes: New car smell, better financing rate

Also with new, we're more partial to the blue exterior colour, and this would give us that option.

Help!

I was in a similar boat. Needed the LR cause I’m in a cold climate and wanted the AWD cause my roads are crappy in the winter. But $57K was a bit high for my budget. So, I called Tesla and asked if they had any demo cars available. They had over a dozen. I got a 2018 LR AWD, VIN 103K, grey, 19’s, black int, EAP and FSD. 2,219 miles on it and they took $7,000 off sticker. It was 600 miles away, but shipped it to my nearest delivery center (CHI). The mats were covered in salt (from people getting in and out all winter) and a rim was scratched, but my delivery center was happy to replace that stuff after delivery. I’d suggest considering this option.....

Good luck though. You’ll be really happy either way! Can’t be mad in a Tesla!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmagyar
I keep bugging my local-ish Tesla Store for Inventory cars, but am told there are none for that config. There were certainly some good deals last quarter, and it make me think if I should hold off for a couple of months for the end of quarter blow out deals it seems others on here have found.

I may need to just keep bugging the, and perhaps casting a wider net to see what's in the Inventory. No votes for the used one yet, which does have 1 year less warranty. God points about Tesla being potentially less willing to fix any issues.

DeadHead616, I live in Wisconsin and my closest dealers are the 4 in Chicago. So how long ago did you purchase and which dealer / rep did you use, as I'd be very interested in finding a deal like this?

Hello fellow Wisconsinite! When I bought my LR AWD I just called the Highland Park number, chose the new sales option, and plainly asked them if they have any discounted inventory matching or close to my chosen specs. This took all of 10 minutes.

Ended up waiting for the end of quarter push and huge discounts were available. Best to wait till June now and get in contact with a good OA. Got $7700 off a Performance 3 MSM w/ white interior and autopilot with only 7 miles on it. Pays to wait. Was between that and a new inventory P100D for 75k with 300 miles on it. Also AWD cars were being offered with 1-7k discounts. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets a P3D for under $48k in June or a AWD for 42k this quarter.

Reactions: DeadHead616
DeadHead616, I live in Wisconsin and my closest dealers are the 4 in Chicago. So how long ago did you purchase and which dealer / rep did you use, as I'd be very interested in finding a deal like this?

I just got mine. This Saturday will be 4 weeks. All I can tell you about the CHI dealers is to avoid the West Grand Ave location. I know the delivery process is always a bumpy road with Tesla, but I was in complete darkness until I finally called and offered to fly out to MN to get my car there. They finally sent someone to get it and personally drive it back (there was still some dirt in the wheel wells). I don’t mean to trash on a location based on one transaction, but over a dozen of unanswered emails and a half dozen unreturned VMs. Not the experience you want when dropping $50K on their product.
I didn’t call any dealer specifically, I called the general 800 number and asked to speak with sales about the purchase of a demo vehicle if they had any. They asked if I had to HAVE anything, (color, range, options, etc). I just told them it had to be a LR AWD, and I didn’t want Blue or Red. It had to have EAP and that I really wanted FSD. After a few minutes of searching (and telling about other cars that didn’t quite meet my preferences), he found mine in Minneapolis.
The rest just fell into place.

Ended up pulling the Trigger on the last Canadian Inventory Deep Blue Metallic LR AWD today. 130XXX VIN. It does not have the white interior or 19’s, but I can live with that and it was $6k off...

Congratulations! You’ll love it. Once you’re in it and driving, there won’t be any seconds thoughts. Besides, you can buy someone else’s 19s, or aftermarket ones down the road.

“Welcome to the family”.

Ended up pulling the Trigger on the last Canadian Inventory Deep Blue Metallic LR AWD today. 130XXX VIN. It does not have the white interior or 19’s, but I can live with that and it was $6k off...
Absolutely, loving ours, have trouble even starting my E350, it sits in the garage with some of my neighbors, without the EV inclination hoping that I’ll put it up for sale...