Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X owner, thoughts on non PUP Model, semi automatic front doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my non PUP custom X90D/HW2 on 12/31/16. My config was black paint, 6 seater, multi pattern seats, cold weather, tow package, and Enhanced Autopilot (obviously not turned on yet).

Much to my pleasant surprise, the front doors are semi-automatic even without the PUP. The front driver and passenger door with blood open when the door icon on the 17" display is pressed. Once open, the front driver and passenger doors will close automatically when either 1) pressing the brake pedal, 2)touching the door icon on the display, or 3)triple clicking the top of key FOB.

This makes me think that self presenting and closing doors in the PUP are more a software feature than hardware. I'm not sure if anyone can verify if the PUP as special sensors on the front doors that non-PUP does not.

Overall the non PUP feels very premium to me.

The multi pattern seats are very comfortable considering the seat supports are the same as the Next Generation just without the leather or ventilation.

I would also highly recommend the cold weather package for anyone living in colder climates.

Windshield has ghosting, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Lastly, the windshield washers suck, no way to sugar coat it.

Welcome!

Windshield wipers are terrible so lets get that out of the way now :)

PUP self-presenting is software related. Earlier owners I believe were able to get the front doors to open without touching the door handle using the fob. But, since that was very similar to PUP-owners' self-presenting doors this was disabled in the most recent software update. I might have flubbed the details, but this is definitely software related.

Just got my non PUP custom X90D/HW2 on 12/31/16. My config was black paint, 6 seater, multi pattern seats, cold weather, tow package, and Enhanced Autopilot (obviously not turned on yet).

Much to my pleasant surprise, the front doors are semi-automatic even without the PUP. The front driver and passenger door with blood open when the door icon on the 17" display is pressed. Once open, the front driver and passenger doors will close automatically when either 1) pressing the brake pedal, 2)touching the door icon on the display, or 3)triple clicking the top of key FOB.

This makes me think that self presenting and closing doors in the PUP are more a software feature than hardware. I'm not sure if anyone can verify if the PUP as special sensors on the front doors that non-PUP does not.

Overall the non PUP feels very premium to me.

The multi pattern seats are very comfortable considering the seat supports are the same as the Next Generation just without the leather or ventilation.

I would also highly recommend the cold weather package for anyone living in colder climates.

Windshield has ghosting, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Lastly, the windshield washers suck, no way to sugar coat it.
Sounds like you also got the CSI option package.

Same with me, the driver closes with the brake, but not the passenger. The passenger closing would be downright weird and dangerous since that person may not fully be in the seat. Guessing typo? Or maybe it does it in some very corner case like the seat already being buckled when you press the brake?

Same with me, the driver closes with the brake, but not the passenger. The passenger closing would be downright weird and dangerous since that person may not fully be in the seat. Guessing typo? Or maybe it does it in some very corner case like the seat already being buckled when you press the brake?
When we first got our car I'm pretty sure this was the case, the passenger door also closed with the press of the brake pedal. I think I remember catching my wife's ankle once or twice. There was an update to remove the feature shortly after we took delivery.

Congrats on that new machine. I've had both PUP & non-PUP now, and agree for the same reasons, that its primo what you can do with the motorized doors, like triple click close-all (or all or each thru GUI), & brake close (just) driver door.

I've not had ghosting or misbehaving wipers so far.