Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, at 500+ miles per tank, hard to go wrong.

But after test driving a Model X it feels line a dinosaur.
It does feel like a dinosaur, but it has sooo much room, even with 5 people in our family there is plenty of space in the second row to stretch your legs.

If we go on vaca, i wont mind the stopping for super charging as we wont be in a rush... take in some sight seeing... go for a walk.. stretch... relax... whole idea of the Vacation in my eyes. I know the full 344 range wont be there but it will work. We don't travel that much anyway so 99% of the time ill have a full battery when i leave the house.
We will never drive the X across state anymore. I'm not sold on this supercharger network as a practical way of traveling with kids with the current battery technology. Our normal 5 hour car trip last summer took 8 hours because of the line up at the superchargers. Not to mention that Tesla will throttle back the charge rate once your get closer to 85% charge. Add to that, constant trips back to the supercharger while you're at your destination , heating and cooling the car and added the weight giving to much lower range and you quickly realize that traveling with kids with a model x is not practical.

We will never drive the X across state anymore.
Interesting the difference in experience. I PREFER my X over our gas vehicles when driving across the state. I stop every few hours, charge the car, relax for a half hour while charging (never above 90% - not worth the time), grab a bite, hit the restroom, and get back on the road refreshed. The auto-pilot /TACC makes the driving easy especially when the traffic is heavy. Everything is lower key and we arrive arrive at our destination NOT totally wiped out. I cross the state constantly and use the X for my electrical business. When I still need to use my truck, it's fine, but it is getting more and more difficult to use the ICE cars in our stable.

It did take awhile to adapt to the EV way. If you insist that you have to drive for hours and hours without breaks, then yes an EV will just not work. But I figured I would just have to 'retrain' myself to think and react differently - and the EV is just a joy now that I have come around to learning to relax on my trips across the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigriver and ModelX
Interesting the difference in experience. I PREFER my X over our gas vehicles when driving across the state. I stop every few hours, charge the car, relax for a half hour while charging (never above 90% - not worth the time), grab a bite, hit the restroom, and get back on the road refreshed. The auto-pilot /TACC makes the driving easy especially when the traffic is heavy. Everything is lower key and we arrive arrive at our destination NOT totally wiped out. I cross the state constantly and use the X for my electrical business. When I still need to use my truck, it's fine, but it is getting more and more difficult to use the ICE cars in our stable.

It did take awhile to adapt to the EV way. If you insist that you have to drive for hours and hours without breaks, then yes an EV will just not work. But I figured I would just have to 'retrain' myself to think and react differently - and the EV is just a joy now that I have come around to learning to relax on my trips across the state.
It's not just the drive to the destination that you have to take in account. I agree with everything you said. But driving on a busy long weekend with kids is a different story. The supercharger line ups can get ridiculous, and moderating who came first and whose next is left up to whomever is willing to do it. Then, once at your destination, you have to find a nearby supercharger almost daily, instead of "vacationing", and almost always, you're heading back with only 80-90% full charge, provided you're not in a cold weather destination.
Once these batteries give you 400 real world miles, they will start truly competing with ICE.

We don't travel that much anyway so 99% of the time ill have a full battery when i leave the house.
Hopefully you won’t leave with a 100% full battery 99% of the time. Maybe more like 80-90% full 99% of the time and 100% full 1% of the time. It’s 0% a good idea to routinely charge your car to 100%, or else you might lose well more than 10% of your battery capacity over time. Just ask about 75% of legacy 85 kWh Model S owners who have had their battery capped by Tesla to prevent this.

%.

Hopefully you won’t leave with a 100% full battery 99% of the time. Maybe more like 80-90% full 99% of the time and 100% full 1% of the time. It’s 0% a good idea to routinely charge your car to 100%, or else you might lose well more than 10% of your battery capacity over time. Just ask about 75% of legacy 85 kWh Model S owners who have had their battery capped by Tesla to prevent this.

%.

Yea, I know this. I meant full battery as in charged to set limit. I plan on no more than 80% unless going on a long trip.
Do appreciate the advice though as it did sound like I meant 100% charged as well.

Yea, I know this. I meant full battery as in charged to set limit. I plan on no more than 80% unless going on a long trip.
Do appreciate the advice though as it did sound like I meant 100% charged as well.

I think the second part of what the other poster is talking about the Supercharging rate/speed cap that appears to being applied to cars that are Supercharged a lot. After so many KW of Supercharging the charge rate is capped at a lower rate to minimize battery degradation.

See this video

Full Tesla family here. Wife loves the X (6 seater). Long road trips require a bit more planning, but driving a Tesla with autopilot is way more enjoyable and leaves us fresher at the end of the drive.

Worst case, we can always rent an ICE car once a year if we need to.

Reactions: Happscrap
Full Tesla family here. Wife loves the X (6 seater). Long road trips require a bit more planning, but driving a Tesla with autopilot is way more enjoyable and leaves us fresher at the end of the drive.

Worst case, we can always rent an ICE car once a year if we need to.

We are going on a long road trip in November. Florida to California and back. 3 week trip. Plan on stopping a lot and staying at different places thru trip. Hoover dam, grand canyon, red wood trees in cali, rookie mountains and many many more stops. We will be in no rush and Im sure there will be tons of SC stops. Hoping to be ok with the long range x.

Will be doing a lot of shorter trips till November as well. Clearwater to Orlando, and to the west coast to space x to see the rocket launch ect.

Reactions: Zorg
We are going on a long road trip in November. Florida to California and back. 3 week trip. Plan on stopping a lot and staying at different places thru trip. Hoover dam, grand canyon, red wood trees in cali, rookie mountains and many many more stops. We will be in no rush and Im sure there will be tons of SC stops. Hoping to be ok with the long range x.

Will be doing a lot of shorter trips till November as well. Clearwater to Orlando. Also to the east coast to see space x and a rocket launch.