Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York, Long Island Area, Model Y Performance Driving Dynamics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I got a chance to test drive a Model Y Performance in Long Island, and I really liked the drive, the torque, and handling. I was given a car with the new Michelin sport all-season tires. Could you share your experience if you own a Model Y Performance here in the New York area? Also, I would like to keep it all season, preferably if the car comes with it. So questions:

Generally, how do you feel driving the car around New York and the tri-state area? [Also, I take weekend trips to the NJ/PA area via Belt Pkwy every once in a while]

Do you change to winter tires or keep it all season if you were given one?

Do the tires last, how often do you need to change, and typically what is the cost of tires for a Model YP.

I have a pending order for Model Y Long Range, and I am thinking of changing it to the Performance Model.

I appreciate your guidance. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm in the tri-state area. and given that you have the LR, I would suggest staying with it over the Performance (unless you really feel like waiting a long time to get it). My vote would be stick wit the LR. You didnt say whether or not you are on 19"s or if you upgraded, but I would run the new tires into the ground (as I hear they are not the greatest) and then upgrade to Quattracs or even the Continental DWS. I've used the Continentals on my BMW a few years back and they were worlds better than the run flat Michelin Eagle's that I had on there. Given our questionable road conditions and our slippery Winter or Spring, I think it would be a bit tricky to get good traction with the Model Y Performance stock tires. You should be OK with the stock Gemini 19's and in the future, if you want a 20" tire that is more performance oriented, there is always someone selling MYP wheel and tire take-offs.

I'm in the tri-state area. and given that you have the LR, I would suggest staying with it over the Performance (unless you really feel like waiting a long time to get it). My vote would be stick wit the LR. You didnt say whether or not you are on 19"s or if you upgraded, but I would run the new tires into the ground (as I hear they are not the greatest) and then upgrade to Quattracs or even the Continental DWS. I've used the Continentals on my BMW a few years back and they were worlds better than the run flat Michelin Eagle's that I had on there. Given our questionable road conditions and our slippery Winter or Spring, I think it would be a bit tricky to get good traction with the Model Y Performance stock tires. You should be OK with the stock Gemini 19's and in the future, if you want a 20" tire that is more performance oriented, there is always someone selling MYP wheel and tire take-offs.
Thank you for your reply. The pending ordered MYLR is the stock Gemini 19s. The one I test drove had the 21" Überturbine Wheels. I liked the look of performance car and the handling was a little better than the LR. Also the price difference is about $6500 between a MYLR+Acceleration Boost vs MYP. I would have liked to upgrade to a 20", so if I added that it would been a bit closer to the MYP cost. Do you drive a MYP? If you so how do like the car's handling in the trim-state area driving conditions.

I do not drive a MYP I have an LR coming to me and have test driven the MY LR and a M3P. My friend has a M3P and he has separate winter wheels and tires because his tires are horrible in the snow and even the wet he has some traction issues. I liked the look and acceleration of the MYP, but there is an appreciable difference in ride comfort and noise with that variant. One which I'm happy to forego the acceleration and looks for a more comfortable ride.

Where I live, Pot holes are everywhere. I see the MYP and MY3 lower sidewalls and would figure that there is a great chance of blowing them out or bending a wheel. I blew out a tire on my BMW 5 series when I had it on what I thought was a pretty mild hole, and the wheel got slightly bent. Those tires had more sidewall than the ones that are on the MYP and the curb weight is 500lbs more on the Tesla. In my opinion, where we live, its a recipe for replacement wheels and tires.

I do not drive a MYP I have an LR coming to me and have test driven the MY LR and a M3P. My friend has a M3P and he has separate winter wheels and tires because his tires are horrible in the snow and even the wet he has some traction issues. I liked the look and acceleration of the MYP, but there is an appreciable difference in ride comfort and noise with that variant. One which I'm happy to forego the acceleration and looks for a more comfortable ride.

Where I live, Pot holes are everywhere. I see the MYP and MY3 lower sidewalls and would figure that there is a great chance of blowing them out or bending a wheel. I blew out a tire on my BMW 5 series when I had it on what I thought was a pretty mild hole, and the wheel got slightly bent. Those tires had more sidewall than the ones that are on the MYP and the curb weight is 500lbs more on the Tesla. In my opinion, where we live, its a recipe for replacement wheels and tires.
Got it, so I do have to think about replacement of wheels and tires on a more frequent basis. I appreciate your insight. Thank you.

I live on the South Shore and have a MYP. I’ve had it since Sept and mine came w the P zero’s, I quickly pivoted to the Mich AS tires and they are great. Smooth and quiet. Typical feedback though, the 21’s look great but can be bumpy on chopped or concrete slab roads. Not terrible but I wish it was better. As for the highways, the ride on those is really pretty good. In particular the Southern State which was recently resurfaced from exit 13-21. I mean the Southern State is awesome to drive on currently.

I test drove the LR and really liked it and went with the MYP because it accelerated delivery (waited 4 months before I pivoted and got a MYP 4 weeks later). That being said I’m toying with getting 19” wheels pretty soon to smooth out the ride. As for how long the tires last, I’m guessing not nearly as long as typical tires as you can’t rotate but I’m only 5 months in.

I love the MYP though, just a fabulous car to drive

Reactions: Destiny1701
I live on the South Shore and have a MYP. I’ve had it since Sept and mine came w the P zero’s, I quickly pivoted to the Mich AS tires and they are great. Smooth and quiet. Typical feedback though, the 21’s look great but can be bumpy on chopped or concrete slab roads. Not terrible but I wish it was better. As for the highways, the ride on those is really pretty good. In particular the Southern State which was recently resurfaced from exit 13-21. I mean the Southern State is awesome to drive on currently.

I test drove the LR and really liked it and went with the MYP because it accelerated delivery (waited 4 months before I pivoted and got a MYP 4 weeks later). That being said I’m toying with getting 19” wheels pretty soon to smooth out the ride. As for how long the tires last, I’m guessing not nearly as long as typical tires as you can’t rotate but I’m only 5 months in.

I love the MYP though, just a fabulous car to drive
Thank you for sharing your experience with MYP. I live on the North Shore and often drive in 25A and Southern State as well. Great to know that the Mich AS works well. I heard recent MYP deliveries are coming with the AS tires. I will have to consider that if I decide to move forward with the change to MYP. And yes, EDD is earlier for the P models, it seems.

My buddy owns a tow truck company in NYC. He picks up Teslas all the time for blown tires. He sent me this...

Kk2yosQl.jpg

21s don't stand a chance on NYC roads. Even in NJ where I drive, I was so paranoid driving around on ubers while I was waiting for chance to switch to my 20s. If you get a performance, then I would budget for 19s or 20s.

@87v1q8riNK Don't let the MYP wheels stop you from getting an MYP! Changing wheels + tires is easy and there are many good options for downsizing to smaller diameter wheels + taller sidewall tires.

But I am with @Wahnyc, the OE 21" MYP setup doesn't stand a chance on NYC roads. Change it out ASAP. Many parts of NJ have better roads, but there can be bad potholes anywhere. I've no experience with Long Island roads beyond Queens but you might as well setup your car for the worst in your area - NYC. Honestly I strongly suggest going down to 19s on a MYP for NYC.

Our S P85 came with 21" wheels wearing rubberband tires. Looked great until the first cracked wheel. After arguing with Tesla service to cover it we downsized to 19" wheels and never looked back.

When we bought our M3P last fall I ordered 18" wheels before we even picked up the car. I do love the Uberturbines look, but they're not functional for the roads we drive on. With smaller, much lighter wheels and better tires the M3P grips better, the power steering feels better, and of course it rides better. And I'm not sweating every pothole or torn up road. It's 100% upside aside from aesthetics.

My buddy owns a tow truck company in NYC. He picks up Teslas all the time for blown tires. He sent me this...

Kk2yosQl.jpg

21s don't stand a chance on NYC roads. Even in NJ where I drive, I was so paranoid driving around on ubers while I was waiting for chance to switch to my 20s. If you get a performance, then I would budget for 19s or 20s.
Wow, that doesn’t look good!
@87v1q8riNK Don't let the MYP wheels stop you from getting an MYP! Changing wheels + tires is easy and there are many good options for downsizing to smaller diameter wheels + taller sidewall tires.

But I am with @Wahnyc, the OE 21" MYP setup doesn't stand a chance on NYC roads. Change it out ASAP. Many parts of NJ have better roads, but there can be bad potholes anywhere. I've no experience with Long Island roads beyond Queens but you might as well setup your car for the worst in your area - NYC. Honestly I strongly suggest going down to 19s on a MYP for NYC.

Our S P85 came with 21" wheels wearing rubberband tires. Looked great until the first cracked wheel. After arguing with Tesla service to cover it we downsized to 19" wheels and never looked back.

When we bought our M3P last fall I ordered 18" wheels before we even picked up the car. I do love the Uberturbines look, but they're not functional for the roads we drive on. With smaller, much lighter wheels and better tires the M3P grips better, the power steering feels better, and of course it rides better. And I'm not sweating every pothole or torn up road. It's 100% upside aside from aesthetics.
Thank you, both. It looks like I do need to budget tire replacement. I am assuming you would say the same for the Mich all season tires that are supposedly in the new deliveries. Also, some people say don’t go below 20 for the MYP because of the brakes. Would you agree?

Thank you, both. It looks like I do need to budget tire replacement. I am assuming you would say the same for the Mich all season tires that are supposedly in the new deliveries. Also, some people say don’t go below 20 for the MYP because of the brakes. Would you agree?
I've seen lots of MYP on 19' wheels on these forums. I don't know much about MYP fitment specifics but 19" seems common. The brakes are not too big for it.

(As an example, on the M3P some Model 3 18" wheels won't fit, such as the OE aero wheels, but there are some 18" that do, like the ones I went with.)

Reactions: 87v1q8riNK

Kk2yosQl.jpg

Damn those are bad roads. That might call for the lifted y type setup.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2

the Michelin A/S4 is the same size as the pirelli summers, so it doesn't change things in terms of "meat" on the sidewalls. Also, Tesla stretches undersized tires on wide rims, so you have these really low profile tires combined with rims that stick out past the rubber. Super easy to damage on curbs and potholes. 19's will fit... probably your best bet for NYC potholes, but I think you lose some style points in the looks department 😅

MYP blue/blk/tow order here in Toronto Can. plan to swap out the 255/275 oem Michelins for a 275/295 option and fix this blown out stretched look with zero protection on the rims.
Also keep psi at 38 vs 42. Helps smoother out the minor bumps 👍🏽
Ok so also considering 265/285/40/21 options for slightly more rubber and more comfort. Anyone have this? Pics would be great!

Reactions: 87v1q8riNK
I have a '22 MYP on order. I'm second guessing my decision to go with the MYP over the MYLR. I'm here in Connecticut and often make trips to the NYC airports, or to visit family in NYC. The 21-inch Uberturbines won't last a week. Plus, I have a 600-foot driveway that's on a bit of a hill, so I need decent snow capability. Been driving a Lexus RX350 with 20-inch Michelin all seasons and have never gotten stuck. From what I've read I should downsize to 20s with an all season tire. But what tire? OR... should I just change my order to a MYLR? Interested in the feedback of this group, thanks in advance.