Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question: Charge every day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to the group, this is my first post. I'm a new Model 3 dual motor long range owner. Let's say it takes me several days or a week to go through most of a charge. Can I recharge once per week, maybe twice? Is this a bad idea? Appreciate your comments.

Al, K7AR (my ham callsign)

Reactions: mcl627
You can charge once or twice per week if you like if you still have more than 50% charge left after multiple days of driving. The situations to avoid are: 1) car charged to 100% and 2) running down to 0% for a prolonged period of time. But you can also charge the car to 90% everyday and it should not impact the battery life. It is also ok to charge to 100% for long trip.

Hello to the group, this is my first post. I'm a new Model 3 dual motor long range owner. Let's say it takes me several days or a week to go through most of a charge. Can I recharge once per week, maybe twice? Is this a bad idea? Appreciate your comments.

Al, K7AR (my ham callsign)

Agree with above. Recommend that you read the Model 3 Owners Manual, page 122 is where this is covered. However, interpretation
varies around here.

I recommend reading this for ALL topics; there is quite a lot of good information, and it makes for excellent bedtime reading. ;)

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

Personally, since Tesla does not allow you to be plugged in and not charge to 50%, I would keep it above 50% as much as possible, and I would not leave it unplugged if the battery is below 50% for any longer than required (meaning, you should plug it in if you can, if the battery is below or nearly below 50%).

And since they warn you (both on the charging screen implicitly - "trip" range, and on the screen if you do it more than a few times in a row) about charging above 90% routinely, avoid that too. So avoid charging above 90%, unless required (like, for a trip, or because your commute or safety requires it).

I personally don't think you need to worry about plugging in every night as long as you satisfy above guidelines. I believe that recommendation on page 122 to "LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN', in context, is because of the 1% daily drain, and Tesla's desire to keep your battery in the 50-90% range as much as possible.

Some advocate around here for being closer to 70-80% for your daily charge level to maximize longevity, but there's no data one way or the other for Model 3s about whether this is better, so far. There is definitely Li-ion battery data around that suggests that shallower discharges are better, without being at 90% on the charge level, but there's not really any way to know whether this data is applicable to the cells in the Model 3 in combination with the BMS. So 50-90% should be assumed safe since that is what Tesla allows.

Last edited:
A YouTube vlogger called “Like Tesla” has a video on this specific charging topic, Kim has talk to Tesla engineers over charging at what percentage. She also shows a cool chart that shows the charge cycles and how many charges for what percentage you charge up too like 80 or 90%, I think she said that you can get up too 350k miles or more charging at a certain percent. Per Elon Musk he says 90% is s good spot to keep it at. My Range is 240 miles; I now charge to 90% which gives me like 215 miles, I probably charge every 3 days.

Fred

New member here. If getting an SR model, will charging everyday(5 days a week) to 100% kill the longevity of the car or will 90% work best? My commute is 160 miles daily, I know some will say to get the LR but with as many miles as I drive it makes no sense to get such an expensive car just to trash it with long commutes.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
New member here. If getting an SR model, will charging everyday(5 days a week) to 100% kill the longevity of the car or will 90% work best? My commute is 160 miles daily, I know some will say to get the LR but with as many miles as I drive it makes no sense to get such an expensive car just to trash it with long commutes.
The SR model at 220 mile range, driving it while keeping your wh/mi at or under 250 should be no problem, do you have any Supercharger Stations in your commute? I see you’re in SoCal, plenty of Superchargers to pick from.

Fred

I actually think it makes the MOST sense to get the LR RWD tesla and drive it for your commute. the further you go, the more savings you will likely see compared to gas vs electricity.. even at california's electricity rates.

Couple that with no oil changes, transmission flushes etc... and "driving a tesla into the ground" makes the most sense. Its really the best commuter car in the world, currently.. at least in my opinion.

Why get a SR car and worry about being able to run errands etc or losing 10-20% of your range during the winter, and we do lose that range even in southern california "winter".

You want a LR RWD tesla in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if you are piling on miles.

A YouTube vlogger called “Like Tesla” has a video on this specific charging topic, Kim has talk to Tesla engineers over charging at what percentage. She also shows a cool chart that shows the charge cycles and how many charges for what percentage you charge up too like 80 or 90%, I think she said that you can get up too 350k miles or more charging at a certain percent. Per Elon Musk he says 90% is s good spot to keep it at. My Range is 240 miles; I now charge to 90% which gives me like 215 miles, I probably charge every 3 days.

Fred

I've watched that video and her statements don't support the data on battery cycles.
She talks about a difference in battery chemistry, but then shows a diagram that shows the change in physical battery size.
The science shows that charging around the 50% mark (ie if you use 40% a day charge to 70% and run down to 30%).

The issue with Tesla, that is actually identified in the video, is that if you repeatedly charge below 80% then the BMS gets confused about available capacity.
The recommendation provided to Kim was to charge to 80% every few weeks and then 100% every few months (but drive to below 90% as soon as 100% reached.

SR MS owner here. I plug in every night but charge starts after mid night as the rates are little cheaper. My daily commute is around 50/60 miles and I keep the charge in between 215 max to whatever I drive that day. Typically it’s around 50%. So in the end my battery stays between 50% to 85%

Read lots of battery data and car data and that’s the best end result for daily driving I got. No super charger n no 100% charging so far.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: goRt

Regularly charging a Tesla's battery to 100% is widely regarded as a Bad Idea, as it's something that will degrade the battery over time. Tesla recommends charging to 80-90% on a regular basis, and to use 100% only occasionally (such as before a road trip). For a 220-mile SR, then, 80-90% works out to 176-198 miles. If your commute is 160 miles (round trip), that leaves very little for a buffer. Also, assuming you charge to 90% (198 miles), and assuming you exactly meet the Tesla's range estimates, you'll be arriving home with 38 miles (17%) of rated range, which may be a little too low -- draining a battery very low can be damaging to its longevity, too.

That said, there are some further considerations, some of which help your suggested use case and some of which don't....

First, the SR's battery pack is a software-limited SR+ (240-mile) battery pack. I don't know offhand if 100% on an SR actually charges it to 91.7% (220/240) and 0% is really 0%; if 100% is really 100% and 0% is really 8.3%; or if it's something in-between these extremes. Either way, though, it gives a bit more of a buffer, at least in terms of battery health. If it's the first case, then charging to 100% won't be nearly as damaging as it would be to charge a 240-mile SR+ to 100%. (I'd probably set my daily charge to about 95% in this case, which would give 209 miles of range.) If 100% really is 100%, then you'd still want to charge to less than 100%, but coming home with a very low official SoC wouldn't be as bad, since there'd be a hidden buffer. If you do go ahead with buying an SR, I'd want to be very certain of whether Tesla is "hiding" 20 miles of range at the top or bottom of the battery pack, so as to set my daily charge value appropriately.

Another point is that you may need to exceed your normal commuting distance on occasion -- if you need to take a detour to go to a store or because of an accident or road construction, for instance. This will obviously use up some of your (very limited) buffer, or maybe consume more than you have, thus necessitating a charging stop.

Another big down side of an SR with a 160-mile commute is that you really can't count on getting the rated range. Several factors can affect that range, including:
  • Temperature -- On very hot or very cold days (especially very cold days, which you probably won't see a lot of in southern California), range will be reduced. This is partly because battery chemistry is most efficient at more-or-less the same temperatures that humans find comfortable, but also because use of heating and AC uses power, which reduces range. OTOH, you can get more than the rated range if the temperature is perfect, enabling you to drive without using heat or AC.
  • Terrain -- Regenerative braking helps recover energy when you drive downhill, but it's not perfectly efficient, so you'll use more energy driving in hilly terrain than you would on flat terrain. If your commute takes you through hills, then, you may not match the car's rated range.
  • Driving style -- If you accelerate and brake hard, your range will suffer. Likewise if you drive fast on the highway. If you drive like a grandmother, then you may get more range than Tesla suggests.
  • Speed -- Range on the highway (209) is lower than range on city streets (229). (Both values are computed by me based on the EPA's MPGe figures.) With a 160-mile commute, I'd assume that most of those miles are highway miles, so you're more likely to have a real-world average range of 209 miles, with further adjustments based on other factors.
  • Battery degradation -- The figures quoted by Tesla refer to a brand-new car. Batteries lose some capacity over time, even if they're pampered, so your range may drop a bit in the first year or two of ownership, and more after that. Range loss tends to be greatest in the first year or two and then slows after that. IIRC, a range loss of something like 5% in the first couple years is fairly typical.
  • Frequent Supercharging -- This one is something of a corollary to the preceding point. Although Teslas hold up to Supercharging better than some brands do to their variety of DC fast charging, frequent use of Supercharging may slightly degrade range over time. Thus, if you were to need to Supercharge, say, once a week on your commute, you might degrade the battery enough to make the range shortage worse. If you do find yourself needing to Supercharge to finish your commute, limiting the time/kWh charged in this way is worthwhile.
Personally, I would be wary of buying an EV with a 220-mile range if I had a daily commute of 160 miles. (Then too, I live in New England, so the weather issue alone would make the car's range inadequate in the winter -- I'd be lucky to get 145 miles out of a Model 3 SR in the winter on a long highway commute in the winter.) If you can afford it, I'd recommend a LR model instead. If you can't afford that sort of a jump, then I'd recommend at least going to the SR+. Some of the battery degradation issues might not be much better with it, but you'll at least have more usable range if you have problems on an occasional basis. Offhand, the only non-Tesla EV I know of with a range in-between the Model 3's SR+ and LR variants is the Hyundai Kona, which has a rated range of 258 miles. That might be worth considering because of its extra range.

Another option is to look into workplace charging. Even if your employer doesn't offer anything, there might be a Level 2 charger nearby that you could use. Even Level 1 charging from an outdoor 120v outlet could add enough range in ~8 hours to make your commute much more practical. You might be able to successfully petition your employer to add an L2 EVSE or an outdoor outlet.