Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 100D with 9100 miles just had it's first 'official' shudder yesterday while accelerating moderately-heavy on an on-ramp that was slightly uphill with a slight curve to starboard. Conditions were sunny and dry. Repaved within the last year, so it's in pretty good shape still.

I say 'official' because it's the most definitive shudder I've experienced - and the noise and vibration was in keeping with what I have seen/heard on YouTube vids.

Prior to that instance, I had been paying very close attention to the vehicle during hard-starts and heavy-acceleration - mostly due to this (and other) thread(s), and there has always been a very slight vibration. Mostly only noticeable to myself. Even my wife would shrug her shoulders when I would say "DID YOU FEEL THAT?!?!?". To say that I have been apprehensive about eventually experiencing the dreaded shudder would be a very accurate statement. :eek:

However, after having the official shudder yesterday... I have yet to be able to recreate it. In addition, the lesser vibrations mentioned in the previous paragraph seem to be either gone or minimized! Could my car have repaired itself?!? Yeah, I didn't think so either... o_O

Crossing my fingers (and every cross-able appendage I own).

Could my car have repaired itself?!?

I think mine may have. I had the axels replaced about 10K miles ago and the fix lasted for about 5K miles when the shudder came-back. I ran at standard height during those 5K miles. Whenever I drove in low-height, it would go-away. After a while, it started doing it in low as well. Before that time, I didn't realize you could set it to stay in low so I would only put in low when I thought about it. Then, I put it in "always low", and it still shuddered in low for a while but now the shudder is magically gone. I haven't tried standard height since (I'm afraid to as it might come-back) but it has been perfect. Could it be that running on low for a certain amount of time, eventually fixes the problem, at least while driving in low? It is silky smooth now. I'll report-back if the shudder starts happening again.

My late August 2018 Model X was delivered in standard but it went back a moment for an adjustment and came back in always low. Rep wasn't aware of any change though mine was built after the rumored new part, will need to do further research. Hopefully it is aligned for always low since that's where it is.

Same, my car came back from SC with Suspension on Low, no wonder the ride was smoother than I was used to since delivery in late August! I have it back on Standard again.

What are the actual downsides to the shudder i.e. what does it do to the car in the long run, if any? Is it better to have the suspension in Low and have the tires burn out or risk getting the shudder issue?

Does the MS & M3 have the shudder issue too? It's crazy that they haven't fixed the issue despite knowing about it for so long!