Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having read 8 pages to determine which setting is best for even tire wear, I still do not have the answer. My assumption is the allignment is done at “standard” by the SC. I have had the shafts replaced twice but am more concerned with the even tire wear now. I had vibrations in the steering column and could feel the vibration in the floorboard. It was a different vibration than that caused by the acceleration. I got an appointment to have it diagnosed for a Tuesday after about a week of the malady. Unfortunately, the Thursday before the appointment my rear pax started loosing air. When I pulled over to the side of Interstate 66, I found that the tire belt had separated and obviously could not be temp fixed with the tire goop and air pump. X was flatbedded and the diagnoses was that I needed new tires at about 24k mileage. I could not get a straight answer on the cause, only that the tires needed replacement. I knew it was the end of the quarter and figured I would wait to get a better answer at my next service.
So, what setting is best for tire wear?

Standard will give you even wear. Low will wear the insides of the rears.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple. Newer cars are set to give even wear at low ride height. All you can do is monitor your tyre wear closely at whatever ride height you choose to run and take action accordingly. Lowering will generally increase camber and inside tyre wear, raising will reduce it, but the optimum height depends on how the static camber was actually set. My early 2018 X came from the factory set to always low and tyre wear has been even across the treads over the first 10k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm afraid it's not quite that simple. Newer cars are set to give even wear at low ride height.
I'm afraid it's not even that simple, I think you'll be told different things at different service centers, and I think some postulation on this forum is treated as fact. I'm not convinced we have a concrete answer to whether or not camber can even be adjusted, much less whether or not it is different after a certain build date. Several people suggest it can't be adjusted, but I've also read that a service center will align on low if you ask them to and told by my service center that they always align on Standard (even though I've had my X come back to me on Low when I sent it in on Standard). Regardless, yes, this:
All you can do is monitor your tyre wear closely at whatever ride height you choose to run and take action accordingly. Lowering will generally increase camber and inside tyre wear, raising will reduce it, but the optimum height depends on how the static camber was actually set.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Tried to get mine serviced here in Toronto for this shudder problem I've had for a while and was told it is normal when setting the height to standard or above.

upload_2018-10-5_9-16-57.png

I recommend you continue repeating in writing that the shudder is not acceptable. It is evident at acceleration and worse with turning which is a typical onramp circumstance. Of course aggressive acceleration is not possible in very high since the car auto-lowers but usual driving in standard should not feel unstable or alarming.

I'm afraid it's not even that simple, I think you'll be told different things at different service centers, and I think some postulation on this forum is treated as fact. I'm not convinced we have a concrete answer to whether or not camber can even be adjusted, much less whether or not it is different after a certain build date. Several people suggest it can't be adjusted, but I've also read that a service center will align on low if you ask them to and told by my service center that they always align on Standard (even though I've had my X come back to me on Low when I sent it in on Standard). Regardless, yes, this:

I agree there is conflicting information kicking around from both forum members and service centres. As an automotive engineer I can't believe there would be zero adjustment in the static camber, but quite possibly a very restricted range of adjustment. But I do know for certain that I have even front and rear tyre wear across the treads over 10k miles set to always low. Actually the fronts are wearing fractionally more on the outside of the treads, even at low ride height, but I'm talking less than 0.5 mm from outside to inside. So if I did run standard ride height I would get more outside tyre wear for sure.

That's why I always say that you can only monitor your own tyre wear and if they are not wearing evenly across the treads you can either adjust the ride height to compensate or put pressure on your service centre to do something about the static camber settings at your preferred ride height. I don't think there is any other way of dealing with the inconsistency we see from build to build. It's certainly not a simple case of standard ride is optimum for tyre wear. Not on my car anyway!

Reactions: Kacey Green
Many street cars have non adjustable ride height and non adjustable camber or caster. Toe and go as alignment shop put it

I agree there is conflicting information kicking around from both forum members and service centres. As an automotive engineer I can't believe there would be zero adjustment in the static camber, but quite possibly a very restricted range of adjustment. But I do know for certain that I have even front and rear tyre wear across the treads over 10k miles set to always low. Actually the fronts are wearing fractionally more on the outside of the treads, even at low ride height, but I'm talking less than 0.5 mm from outside to inside. So if I did run standard ride height I would get more outside tyre wear for sure.

That's why I always say that you can only monitor your own tyre wear and if they are not wearing evenly across the treads you can either adjust the ride height to compensate or put pressure on your service centre to do something about the static camber settings at your preferred ride height. I don't think there is any other way of dealing with the inconsistency we see from build to build. It's certainly not a simple case of standard ride is optimum for tyre wear. Not on my car anyway!

Tried to get mine serviced here in Toronto for this shudder problem I've had for a while and was told it is normal when setting the height to standard or above.

View attachment 340979
That's crazy. My invoice says customer has been notified new half shafts design is coming and has opted to wait for it. I'd be very upset if I was you (as if having shudder wasn't enought to be upset about in the first place). Has anybody heard an update on the "bulletin" about new half shafts design?

Reactions: Shaz
Many street cars have non adjustable ride height and non adjustable camber or caster. Toe and go as alignment shop put it

We're talking specifically about camber adjustment here. Now for arguments sake lets say Tesla does not have any camber adjustment at all. That would imply that some of the suspension components must have been re-designed to optimise static camber for the now factory standard low ride height - given that later cars have even tread wear set to low and earlier cars have even tyre wear set to standard. Really needs a workshop manual to answer these questions for certain. All I know for certain is that my early 2018 car has even tread wear set to low, as measured over the last 12,000 miles.