Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fronts and backs tires are different sizes and therefore can’t be rotated. Did 2016 models have the same size tires?
X has always come with staggered tires. I believe this is the correct answer to your question. However, if you mean the same staggered sizes as 2017+, I may have read that these vary from vehicle to vehicle (forget model years with Tesla, I don't know if it actually changed, but if it did, it was probably between or possibly even during a "model month"). Moreover, you could get winters on 19s, and those wouldn't be staggered, so they could be rotated front to back. Given that, you could theoretically put non-winter tires on in that configuration as well aftermarket (I don't know whether or not the wheels are actually different sizes, though, so aftermarket wheels or winter 19s might be required to pull this off).

X has always come with staggered tires. I believe this is the correct answer to your question. However, if you mean the same staggered sizes as 2017+, I may have read that these vary from vehicle to vehicle (forget model years with Tesla, I don't know if it actually changed, but if it did, it was probably between or possibly even during a "model month"). Moreover, you could get winters on 19s, and those wouldn't be staggered, so they could be rotated front to back. Given that, you could theoretically put non-winter tires on in that configuration as well aftermarket (I don't know whether or not the wheels are actually different sizes, though, so aftermarket wheels or winter 19s might be required to pull this off).
2016s had both 255/45R20 and 265/45R20 fronts, depending on Michelin or Continental.

I will be getting the shudder fix but it is mild now since earlier half shaft replacement and I have some time under warranty. Meanwhile, The Electrified Garage installed the adjustable rear bushings so I can drive in Low and Very Low without the exaggerated severe asymmetric rear tire wear. Stiffening of the suspension was a secondary benefit, car feels so much more stable and planted on launch and on curves. After about 3000 miles since bushings and new tires the wear looks good.

I was watching a recent Youtube review of the Model X and they mention acceleration shudder here (around 3:40) -

It was an interesting video because they talked about everything fairly backwards. Talking like the X5 was a trimmed down version of the X7, while it's been around for well over a decade and the X like it's derivative of the Model 3. Interesting putting a 2016 Model X up against the 2019 BMW, but I guess it shows that it has aged well.

I do miss the handling of my X6M sometimes, even with the lower center of gravity of the Model X, the torque vectoring in the BMW made it more nimble. Without it though, the Model X has a handling advantage over the traditional X5/X6.

I'm glad they finally have a proper fix for the shuddering, although I think the actual impact of it is pretty insignificant.

If you are some who rarely floors the accelerator (this would be me), is there any reason to have Tesla perform the newly discovered fix with revised clevis mount and half shafts? Long term, would these new parts provide any benefit to normal driving? Maybe resale value out of warranty?

I didn't even realize I had this issue until reading these threads and trying it on my own car, so I'm just trying to decide on whether its worth it to take it in.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: alloverx
If you are some who rarely floors the accelerator (this would be me), is there any reason to have Tesla perform the newly discovered fix with revised clevis mount and half shafts? Long term, would these new parts provide any benefit to normal driving? Maybe resale value out of warranty?

I didn't even realize I had this issue until reading these threads and trying it on my own car, so I'm just trying to decide on whether its worth it to take it in.

Any thoughts?
If you experience the symptoms under hard acceleration, then I would have the service performed even if it isn't something you do a lot. The shudder isn't there from the start, it gets worse over time which means that even if you normally accelerate conservatively, you've likely had some damage done if you feel the shudder now. I've never seen any reports of failures resulting from this actual problem, so there's a good chance it'll never end up in a recall situation or get a warranty extension. I've had mine replaced once under warranty already and the shudder has returned. Now that there is in theory a "permanent" fix, I'll have the service performed again before my warranty expires.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
I've also had my front shafts replaced last year. Are we confident that this is a permanent fix? I still have a another 1.5 years to go on my warranty so I can wait.
I don't think anyone can know how long it will last, but it's a substantial list of replaced parts and it appears to offer a reasonable explanation for why the problem occurred and what's being changed. I used permanent in quotes above, because every fix has some sort of finite lifespan, but I suspect if this doesn't fix the issue well outside of warranty that we're not likely to ever see a significant fix.

I've also had my front shafts replaced last year. Are we confident that this is a permanent fix? I still have a another 1.5 years to go on my warranty so I can wait.

Nothing is guaranteed, but this is the first time they have officially released a Service Bulletin for this issue. All of the previous fixes have been just a replacement of half-shafts.

Reactions: ohmman
So anyone with the shafts and mounts replaced see each increase in efficiency? I just had this work done about a week ago and seem to be getting right 10% better efficiency.

I have posted on another thread but here it is again...I drive roughly 250 miles per day and always come home with 5 to 15 miles left however now I come home with around 30 to 40 miles. Used to get 340wh/mi but now get 310wh/mi.

I don't really get why this would be but maybe there is less friction and/or less wobble creating higher efficiency... Either way I'm liking it as there is now no shudder and getting more miles per charge.

Just really wanted to see if anyone else is seeing the same gains as I am

When requesting this repair, do you need to go on test drive with the service tech to show them the problem? Or will they just go ahead and schedule the service since this affects virtually every car built in that period?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will take to drop the car off, and if I need to plan on how to demonstrate the issue.

When requesting this repair, do you need to go on test drive with the service tech to show them the problem? Or will they just go ahead and schedule the service since this affects virtually every car built in that period?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will take to drop the car off, and if I need to plan on how to demonstrate the issue.

They all know about the problem and will probably ask to go on a short drive to show them the issue which should be repeatable every time. But you should already have a scheduled appointment for this and they should already have the parts in for the repair. It only takes a few hours to complete

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
I got this done yesterday and as expected the shudder is gone. However, it seems the SC used the Revision B halfshaft for the right side and D for the left. I asked them about this and they stated that revision B and D are interchangeable.

Regarding efficiency, I have reset my trip odo, so I will advise if I notice a significant change.

Reactions: TechVP
I also had this done last week. In the work estimate prior to the appointment they had listed all the parts for the rev D halfshafts as well as the clivus motor mount assembly. After the appt the tech said he only did the rev d halfshafts since that’s all that’s really needed to fix the issue. A little disappointing because all the parts where there to fix it to the most recent service bulletin specs.

I’ve noticed shudder is much improved. But still notice at high load especially if I’m turning the wheel slightly. Scheduled another visit to see if they are willing to complete the motor mount as well as get some other maintained items completed. I’m 500 miles from 50k so trying to get everything tucked away and set to get ready for the long haul.

I am thankful that they actually came out with a revised part. The type A side of me wants it fixed with all the new revised parts, although it’s not a guarantee the issue is resolved 100%.

After the appt the tech said he only did the rev d halfshafts since that’s all that’s really needed to fix the issue. A little disappointing because all the parts where there to fix it to the most recent service bulletin specs.

The updated clevis mount is required to prevent the torque from destroying the halfshafts again. (At least that is my understanding.)

So it will just come back unless they complete the whole TSB.

Reactions: Michelx
I also had this done last week. In the work estimate prior to the appointment they had listed all the parts for the rev D halfshafts as well as the clivus motor mount assembly. After the appt the tech said he only did the rev d halfshafts since that’s all that’s really needed to fix the issue. A little disappointing because all the parts where there to fix it to the most recent service bulletin specs.

I’ve noticed shudder is much improved. But still notice at high load especially if I’m turning the wheel slightly. Scheduled another visit to see if they are willing to complete the motor mount as well as get some other maintained items completed. I’m 500 miles from 50k so trying to get everything tucked away and set to get ready for the long haul.

I am thankful that they actually came out with a revised part. The type A side of me wants it fixed with all the new revised parts, although it’s not a guarantee the issue is resolved 100%.

Take it back or to a different SC. I now have 0 shudder when I floor it in my P100DL.