Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next major sw release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, enhanced cabin overheat protection, and updated browser, a new kernel, AP following Nav at lane splits, and an extensive Navigation overhaul are coming in 8.1 in April 2017. :)

I think the new kernel happened. The rest of it appears to have been pushed aside until they get the AP2 software sorted out and maybe other changes related to the 3 release. I don't think we've had significant feature updates in last December or so - likely because they went all hands on deck for AP2.

So yes, I'm expecting a bunch of things "soon" - either all the features they been working on for a while, or some things developed to support the 3 release and brought back to the rest of us, or both. It'll presumably happen when Tesla is satisfied with the state of AP2 development for now.

Tesla never announces these things in advance. They just kinda pop up from time to time.
Not everyone gets the release at the same time, as they are rolled out over time.
Some configurations get different releases than others to address specific updates.

Some will get the release days ahead of others.

Soon, after they are done working on new easter eggs as priority #1! ;-) I'd expect something end of year or in Q1 2018 hopefully.
Do have to get used to as an AP1 owner that minimal changes will be coming as hardware is tapped out. I'd definitely like to see:

- upgraded overall kernel for responsiveness if possible
- changed navigation from navigon to tesla's (saw the video and liked it more) (thus also new maps again or if not needed great)
- still want cold weather functionality to be able to be used from mobile app (steering wheel, seating, defrosters) - otherwise not as useful
- maybe enable bluetooth keys (via phone) for our cars also, since we have low energy bluetooth transmitters in X i believe
- could care less about the browser - i'd prefer it to just be gone even.

-T