Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nighttime approach lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Approaching the Model 3 at night unlocks the doors but I'm not seeing any puddle lights, approach lights or door handle lights so there's no reference to find the door handle in the dark. I can dig my phone out and use the app to open the trunk. That turns on the headlights. Now I can find the door handle and open the door to get a puddle light but now I have to go back and slam the trunk. Couldn't the interior lights at least come on when the doors unlocks at night? And future models could have a small light on the door handles so they are easier to find.

Are you saying that you legitimately have trouble locating the door handles on the car without interior lights being on? This seems like a very strange problem to have.

I guess instead of using the app to pop the trunk, you could hit the unlock button which should also turn the lights on. I would suggest getting your eyes checked first, though.

Isn't it easier just to turn on your phone's screen, turn the screen toward the door and find the handle? Since early this year, they changed it so your car is not unlocked until you press on the handle. I guess you could take out your keycard and tap it on the pillar to unlock and turn on the inside light... finding the pillar is easier than finding the handle.

I legitimately can't find the handle in the dark without feeling along the car. Both my Lexus and Suburban are ten years old and the approach lighting allows me to not feel the car in the dark and avoid puddles, etc as I approach the car. Both cars let me walk confidently to the door and get in without feeling for a door handle. Neither car cost $60k. Puddle lights are really nice on gravel and other uneven surfaces, especially for folks in high heels in the rain. I'll bet this is solved with a future update that won't require digging the phone out to touch the unlock button. And yes, I have less eyesight than average.
20180928_190000.jpg

I would *LOVE* approach lighting... even if its just the parking lights when it detects your phone key within a specific range

I agree this would be a nice user selectable feature on the car. However, remember Tesla reprogrammed the cars so it would no longer unlock based on when the phone-as-key was within range due to excessive false triggering. For example, when the car was parked in the attached garage within range of the owners phone as they moved around their house. I think they were concerned with excess wear on the folding mirrors and relays.
If the battery drain from these false triggering is acceptable to the owners, then there's no reason Tesla couldn't make this a selectable lighting option.
Remember the puddle lights are on the bottom of the door, and wouldn't do any good to come on until the door is open, but parking lights or headlights could come on.

Reactions: brandonee916
Are you saying that you legitimately have trouble locating the door handles on the car without interior lights being on? This seems like a very strange problem to have.

@IonEV has a frigging eye patch, dude. Yeah, he needs to get his 'eye' checked. SMH.

And I completely agree that approach lighting would be great. I've been looking for this. I'm going to look into an aftermarket solution, but I'm not quite sure how to get it working without the Tesla turning something on.