Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://electrovelocity.com/2010/04/24/nissan-leaf-pre-orders-exceed-expectations/
Screen-shot-2010-04-24-at-12.22.47-500x344.jpg

I was a little disappointed in the numbers. I thougt it would be upwards of 10K - even with all the website problems. I've to wonder, is there really a market for 150K Leafs in 2 years ?

Ofcouce gm-volt.com mocks the numbers, as you would expect. Other media stories seem to be +ve ...

I was a little disappointed in the numbers. I thougt it would be upwards of 10K - even with all the website problems. I've to wonder, is there really a market for 150K Leafs in 2 years ?

Ofcouce gm-volt.com mocks the numbers, as you would expect. Other media stories seem to be +ve ...

6,635 is enough to triple the number of production freeway-capable EVs on the road, more than the 4,000 that were on the waiting list for the EV1 and far more orders than Tesla has ever had on the books (although with a much smaller deposit required). For a car that few people have seen and no one has driven*, that seems like not such a bad number.

The other 100,000+ people on the reservation list haven't bailed from the list. I suspect many aren't willing to risk $99 for a car that doesn't exist. That seems pretty trivial compared to what's required to get a Roadster**, but the Leaf is in a different market segment.

The 6,635 number was only a couple of days in and people have until May 15th to get on the priority list. Some people may not want one of the first few thousand cars because of version 1.0 early production concerns or may not want to fight dealers trying to add a $10,000 gouge on top of the MSRP for the first cars.

* Driving the mule in a parking lot was encouraging, but it doesn't count until I can drive a Leaf at least 10 miles on a combination of freeway and surface streets.

** Don't get me started.

... or may not want to fight dealers trying to add a $10,000 gouge on top of the MSRP for the first cars.

BTW, I mailed the three dealers nearest to our homes - asking whether they can commit to selling at no more than MSRP. Bellevue dealer said "may be", the other two have sent emails promising no more than MSRP.

One more thing, there is an active Leaf community forming at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.php, if any one is interested.

Nissan Leaf | Early verdict on electric car pioneer in UK

The charge down electric avenue starts here… So says Nissan, which is poised to deliver the first examples of its all-new battery-powered Leaf to customers from next March.

The car’s arrival promises to be big news for British drivers. Not only will the plug-in electric model be built in the UK – at Nissan’s Sunderland factory – it should be affordable, too.

First versions are currently being assembled in Japan, and the Leaf is expected to cost a Toyota Prius-rivalling £22,000 (after the Government’s promised £5,000 grant has been applied). It will offer seating for five people, as well as a 100-mile range.

car_photo_367801_25.jpg

car_photo_367798_25.jpg

EV grin

So apparently there was a Leaf road show in the UK recently. Flew under my radar :mad: (with self).

I'm on the list - as soon as Google pays me what little money they owe me the $99 deposit is down. Purchasing isn't in the equation. When the car becomes available in our area we will be going for the lease option. Girlfriend still isn't sold on the Leaf - has the concern I do that 100 mile range ( of course less in real world ) won't always meet our needs.

My opinion is at this time the Nissan Leaf is going to be the only option for real everyday people to finally have a chance at owning an electric car.

I'd prefer to have the cash for a Model S. Would love to see that car coming out sooner than later as currently planned. The GM Volt even though I have reservations in regards to GM's "trustworthiness" has been a topic of discussion in our home also.

Nissan LEAF reservation complete

Last edited:

I keep wondering if 8% of 100,000 is good. Of course they spin it that way but I just don't have any frame of reference.

On one hand; no reviews of the actual car are out, I'm going to guess 25% have not even seen the car in person and EVs are scary to many.

On the why they put down $100; There has been a lot of advertising with both heavy web and Television saturations though the TV ads are 1/2Nissan flag waving and half for the LEAF. I'n guessing a lot of EV1 owners and WKTWC movie watchers are on the list and who knows how many are just testing the waters for fun.

I keep wondering if 8% of 100,000 is good. Of course they spin it that way but I just don't have any frame of reference.

I was pleasently surprised at the 100K number for the "hand raisers" - but 8K looks underwhelming. Given the stated goal of 150K production number in Smyrna in a couple of years.

The way I look at it - if every "hardcore tree hugger" were to buy EVs - that would be millions of customers - just looking at the membership of say Sierra Club. Ofcource not everyone will be ready to buy one now, but I expect these folkto buy one in the next 5years. Potentially the number is much larger - 60 million households have multiple cars. They can easily replace one of the cars with an EV and not suffer any inconvinience.

There can be many reasons Leaf hand raisers did not follow through with a deposit:

-Personal funds
-Limited vehicle range (IMO)
-Styling
-Charging infrastructure at home and elsewhere

What I find surprising are the number of comments over the years regarding Roadster and Model S from those who cite price as an obstacle. Many of those same people will now be using one of the reasons listed.