Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
leaf-specs.jpg

This has been discussed before, but I still don't see the rationale. Is a 3.3 kW AC to DC converter really that much cheaper than something a bit beefier? The capability for a 30 minute DC fast charge is nice, but even at $16K, the fast charge station is much more expensive than something that could provide 70A, 240VAC (Tesla sells theirs for $2K). I'd think with destination charging, these cheaper stations would see more use, especially if you could get a full charge in under 2 hours (as would be the case with the Leaf).

Not sure how they did their calculation, but the promoters of the Mennekes connector say the total cost (cars + infrastructure) is cheaper with on board chargers up to 43 kW.

I don't know if it is true, but someone said somewhere that the 3.3kW was based on commonly available power sources in Japan, and the first Leafs to be built were basically carrying forward components from the design for the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version. In fact, the initial models would all be made in Japan. Higher current versions would be available when they switch to production for US spec versions built in the US. Not totally sure about this, but I recall hearing something of this nature.

Ghosn mentions an Infiniti luxury EV. Hopefully Tesla can beat that to market.

From earlier news Infinity didn't like the souped up Leaf and wanted new styling. Not sure when the car will be out.

He also talks about a new city car - probably the size of 500 - apparently all new design.

BTW, when is the Audi EV due ? That would be another competitor to S.

From earlier news Infinity didn't like the souped up Leaf and wanted new styling. Not sure when the car will be out.

He also talks about a new city car - probably the size of 500 - apparently all new design.

BTW, when is the Audi EV due ? That would be another competitor to S.
Audi has been very forthcoming with prototypes and not so much production intent cars. Still I thought the only things we have seen from Audi has been R8 or R4 designs, so competition for the Roadster and not the Model S. Though the new EV A2 might be a competitor for the Bluestar I suppose.

Cobos

I'm not sure what to make of it other than $99 deposits are unreliable.
Probably safe to say the $5k deposits for Model S are a better measure of reliability. For many, putting down a $99 deposit is far less thought provoking than $5000. Leaf range is also going to be a big factor. Real world range will be closer to 85 than the stated 100. This will be a challenge for some early adapters.

Turning point for Nissan will come when they deliver Leaf with the 185-range battery, which Nissan has said will be within same price range as the upcoming production pack.

Turning point for Nissan will come when they deliver Leaf with the 185-range battery, which Nissan has said will be within same price range as the upcoming production pack.

It is more likely that they will give a 100 mile range car and reduce the price. Remember at some point $7.5K will run out (after 200K vehicles) ...

Ofcource they could offer a higher range car as an option. 50 miles for for $5K.