Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are certain angles looking at those headlight clusters where they look like some sort of tumorous growth coming out of the hood.
But from many other angles it looks OK. The view from directly in front or directly behind isn't bad. It is just from certain angles the headlights and some of the side creases aren't to my liking.

It was said that the Prius was a big success as a hybrid because it had distinctive styling so people would recognize it.
I gather Nissan tried to be a little "different" so that the car would have some recognizable character.

My problem with the LEAF is the payoff from the design isn't high enough from an aerodynamic standpoint. The Prius got .26 for it's strange looks, .25 for the 2010 model, the LEAF only .29.
The batteries below the rear seat raised the seats thus the stadium seating in Leaf. They had to raise the roof to get enough rear headroom. That is why the cd isn't as good.

My problem with the LEAF is the payoff from the design isn't high enough from an aerodynamic standpoint.
That's probably because they had to deal with wind noise.
They definitely spent a lot of time working on the comfort aspects of the Leaf.
Wind noise reduction was clearly a priority apparently even more so than ultimate aero efficiency.

My problem with the LEAF is the payoff from the design isn't high enough from an aerodynamic standpoint. The Prius got .26 for it's strange looks, .25 for the 2010 model, the LEAF only .29.
I often wonder how much better highway efficiency would be on the LEAF if it's drivetrain was in a Prius body. At more moderate speeds (35-45 mph) it's not hard to get some very good efficiency numbers as long as you can avoid stoplights - and more importantly having to stop quickly for stoplights where friction brakes are needed to slow the car down in time.

Heh, Colbert is hilarious! :smile:

One of the points Nissan emphasized was that the funky headlight shape was designed to direct wind away from the mirrors to cut down on noise.
There are some odd shapes on the front hood, which may redirect airflow (at the expense of some wind resistance) away from things that could cause wind related noise.

But, yes, I get your general point that a smooth airflow should generally be low noise too.

official e-cars message?

I came up with a two finger (prong) sign. A horizontal peace sign. You point it at the other driver quickly. Like the eye poke motion that the Stooges did. It signifies plugging in.

It would be nice to understand your official EV sign. As an european I'm probably not used to such signs. Could you paint it - or post a foto of it here?

That would be very nice!

It would be nice to understand your official EV sign. As an european I'm probably not used to such signs. Could you paint it - or post a foto of it here?

That would be very nice!

1702377-poke_eye_three_stooges.jpg

Head on it would look something like this ..

If you don't like EV's you'd do the eye poke block

2_pelstb_1300818694.jpg