Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a Solectria Sunrise for a few years. It didn't come with the batteries so I had to add some myself. It wasn't a particularly small car on the outside at least. Midsized maybe like a Camry although I never measured it against my son's Camry. The Sunrise had a huge battery tunnel down the middle of the car (which made the useable interior much smaller than a Camry) so I suspect it carried alot of batteries in it when it made that long drive and the driver certainly knew all the tricks to hypermile that car too.

I think it was designed to be similar in size to the Ford Taurus of that time, though it had a very good drag coefficient. I believe it carried 26kWh of cells, though they may have added more for the record run.
What happened to the one you had? I'd love to see one with a modern lithium pack.

Of course if it were smaller and more aerodynamic you'd need fewer cells to go 300 miles. Remember the Solectria Sunrise did 375 miles in 1995 with NiMH cells.
Well 1995 was a different era. One of the reasons why the cars are heavier now is to cater to the crash safety standards. Starting with a Leaf, if we want to triple the range, we might end up with a S sized vehicle. Even with carbon fiber we see that the smaller i3 isn't all that light.

Well 1995 was a different era. One of the reasons why the cars are heavier now is to cater to the crash safety standards. Starting with a Leaf, if we want to triple the range, we might end up with a S sized vehicle. Even with carbon fiber we see that the smaller i3 isn't all that light.
Remember the LEAF has a much worse cd than the Solectria Sunrise, which is key in long distance steady state driving, more so than weight.

You mean besides me? :cool: I really like the look, futuristic, and efficient, but low cd can be made to look different. VW has a very low cd experimental vehicle that looks nice. Besides, should a LEAF owner really be commenting on how a vehicle looks? :wink:

vw-1-liter-concept-car-photo02.jpg

Last edited:
I sold my Sunrise Stephen Taylor's Solectria Sunrise to a group that was going to make cars similar to it, but so far nothing. I did put 23 Valence 130AH Lithium batteries in the car which was about 35kwh worth of energy. I quickly found out that the drive system in my car would overheat after only going about 50 miles or so. Of course that meant I could never really utilize all that energy I was carrying. I had other issues with the car such as poor headroom, plexiglass rear and side windows and an air condtioning system that makes the Roadster's look wonderful. I guess that is what you get when you buy a proof of concept vehicle. I got an offer to sell the car for everything I had in the car so I took it.