Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ - JCP@L Off Peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. JCPL has a great program for EVs just started 7/15/2022. There are a few catches:

You cannot use a Tesla wall connector and must use one of 2 they approved

The good/great news is they pay u $1500 towards the wall connector and I actually lite it better. Provides better data on costs and a better app. I chose the ChagePoint over the other one

Now I pay 2 cents below off peak rate!!!! Still waiting for my $1500 🙄

Here is the link. https://www.firstenergycorp.com/con.../PEV/nj-ev/jcpl-ev-customer-program-guide.pdf

Yes. JCPL has a great program for EVs just started 7/15/2022. There are a few catches:

The good/great news is they pay u $1500 towards the wall connector and I actually lite it better. Provides better data on costs and a better app. I chose the ChagePoint over the other one

Here is the link. https://www.firstenergycorp.com/con.../PEV/nj-ev/jcpl-ev-customer-program-guide.pdf
I don't believe I even have an off peak where I am currently. Would you happen to know if there is anything on their website regarding this ty

You noted you pay .02 cents below off-peak for the EV charging. Is there an upcharge for normal house electricity usage? Or is treated as though there are two meters/accounts and one doesn't affect the other? As stated earlier, I'm not telling my wife/kids to keep the air conditioning off until 8PM in the summer because there is an daytime surcharge. The way I'm seeing the program, the main meter reports say for example 800kWh of usage and then the EV chargers reports to the utility, "Hey, 248 kWh of that 800 was used off-peak charging a car and should be discounted.

You noted you pay .02 cents below off-peak for the EV charging. Is there an upcharge for normal house electricity usage? Or is treated as though there are two meters/accounts and one doesn't affect the other? As stated earlier, I'm not telling my wife/kids to keep the air conditioning off until 8PM in the summer because there is an daytime surcharge. The way I'm seeing the program, the main meter reports say for example 800kWh of usage and then the EV chargers reports to the utility, "Hey, 248 kWh of that 800 was used off-peak charging a car and should be discounted.
Yeah I don't want to end up being on some higher rate during on peak because it will end up costing more I need to read into this more, I wonder if they will also pay for the ev charger to be installed aswell

Yeah I don't want to end up being on some higher rate during on peak because it will end up costing more I need to read into this more, I wonder if they will also pay for the ev charger to be installed aswell
That’s why you need the Specific wall connector (not Tesla) so the wall connector can communicate with JCPL and to allow only to change off peak. To my knowledge this does not impact the rest of your bill. That’s why I said this is way to good to pass up and eliminates the need for Solar for now at least

Do you know how I go about the reimbursement, which charger do you reccomend? I already have a 14-50 in the garage would the 1500 also cover the installion?
The required wall connector is $900 on Amazon. See link

ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger, 16 to 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE, UL Listed, ENERGY STAR, NEMA 14-50 Plug or Hardwired, Indoor / Outdoor, 23-foot cable , Black https://a.co/d/4nrBKDb

You already have the correct outlet so no electrician is needed. Just mount the unit and plug in

Please read all information on the JCPL web page. Called EV Driven

That is why u need one of 2 JCPL approved wall connector. Tesla does not allow 3 rd party to transmit data. JCPL only charges the discount rate while your vehicle is Being charged Like I said a few time this deal is way to good to pass up. Please contact The EV Driven program directly to confirm

Reviving this thread because I'm enrolling in the same JCP&L program and I see a few areas of potential confusion.

Program is called "EV Driven":

Some main points

1) JCP&L has two programs for residents...."Charger Incentive" program and "Off Peak Rate Credit Program"
2) You can apply to both programs at the same time...both require installation of approved level 2 chargers.
3) They have a specific list of chargers that are supported...(Tesla charger is not one of them.) They have agreements with those providers networks so they can monitor the times you are charging. JCP&L does NOT restrict charging to specific times, but they will give you a $0.02/kWh credit if you choose to charge off-peak.
4) They will reimburse you up to $1500 for installation costs. Anything "from your meter to the charger" is reimbursable. You will need to send them the paid invoice from the qualified electrician. (They don't just send you a $1500 check). This does not cover costs of the charger itself.

I purchased a ChargePoint Home Plus charger (highly regarded unit.). I have applied for the program and now awaiting the approval. It says it can take 6 weeks or so.

Semi-related:

NJ also offers a $250 tax credit for installing certain chargers at home. (Again, Chargepoint is on the list, Tesla charger is not).

(NJ also had a tax credit for purchasing an EV...but that program ran out of money for the year...so no longer available.)

Finally, NJ waives all sales taxes on full battery electric vehicles. This is a significant savings given the 6%+ sales tax rates.