Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW JERSEY First Energy/JCP&L Charging Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct. JCPL ONLY pays up to $1500 for installation ( not that charger itself). I was able to sell my Tesla wall charger so I still made out. The monthly 2 cent credit is minor but was able to take credits on my 2022 NJ income taxes. Overall it’s a win as the Charge Point is better than Tesla. Better app and notifications to remind u that ur car is not plugged in at a certain time and other features
I have a few questions about this I was hoping you might be able to help with.
1. Did you first purchase the Charge Point and pay an electrician for install then submit all of the information to JCP&L? Or do you need to get approved before going through with install?
2. Does the $1,500.00 JCP&L actually include installation of a Charge Point wall charger? Their website is a bit unclear and seems to only include "Make-ready" provisions and specifically lists the charger installation as not included here -https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/dam/customer/get-help/files/PEV/nj-ev/jcpl-ev-driven-what-electrical-work-is-eligible.pdf

Thank you in advance, it seems that they like to make these things intentionally unclear...

1. Did you first purchase the Charge Point and pay an electrician for install then submit all of the information to JCP&L? Or do you need to get approved before going through with install?
2. Does the $1,500.00 JCP&L actually include installation of a Charge Point wall charger? Their website is a bit unclear and seems to only include "Make-ready" provisions and specifically lists the charger installation as not included here -https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/dam/customer/get-help/files/PEV/nj-ev/jcpl-ev-driven-what-electrical-work-is-eligible.pdf

Thank you in advance, it seems that they like to make these things intentionally unclear...
You can buy charger in advance or have the electrician supply it. Doesn’t matter.

I know it’s so confusing. I’ve created a quick summary for relatives that should help you.

1) JCPL: up to 1500 on the installation
2) nj state: 250 on the charger
3) federal: 30% or 1000 (whichever is lower) of the cost of charger AND installation
4) JCPL: 2 cents discount on car charging between 11 pm and 6 am. Must sign up and must have smart Level 2 charger.

You will not be able to submit all the information with the application until after the installation is completed and paid for. I did not get approval first, I just made sure that

1) The Charger I purchased is on the list of approved devices. (Chargepoint Nema 14-50 in my case).
2) The electrician is licensed (has a license number)
3) The electrician provides you a receipt for the paid installation. You will need to take a picture of the serial number on the installed unit and a picture of the completed installation.

The "Customer Make Ready" incentive ($1500) is to cover the cost of labor and materials on that PDF you linked. The incentive does NOT cover the cost of the charger itself. But it does cover costs for the electrician to install the charger. So

1) You cover the cost of the charger and purchase it separately.
2) You contract an electrician to install the charger.
3) The $1500 is to cover any costs that the electrician charges you for labor and material for anything between the meter and up to and including the installation of the charger. (Again, not the cost of the charger itself.)

NOTE: I am still waiting on them to deliver my $1500 check. They are supposed to send this out by Labor day based on when my application was received (45 days after they receive and accept the application.). If I do not receive it by then I'll be following up.

Reactions: nemodio
You can buy charger in advance or have the electrician supply it. Doesn’t matter.

I know it’s so confusing. I’ve created a quick summary for relatives that should help you.

1) JCPL: up to 1500 on the installation
2) nj state: 250 on the charger
3) federal: 30% or 1000 (whichever is lower) of the cost of charger AND installation
4) JCPL: 2 cents discount on car charging between 11 pm and 6 am. Must sign up and must have smart Level 2 charger.
Thank you! That is incredibly helpful.

SO I provide electrician with correct info. If I want him/her to run a supply line to other side of garage from breaker panel, have 60+ amps available to supply the charger, etc. What supply electrical cord is called for (gauge etc) for a ChargePoint CHP50? Distance would be about 20'

SO I provide electrician with correct info. If I want him/her to run a supply line to other side of garage from breaker panel, have 60+ amps available to supply the charger, etc. What supply electrical cord is called for (gauge etc) for a ChargePoint CHP50? Distance would be about 20'

Use 6/2 MC Cable. (AKA 6 Gauge, 2 conductor, Metal Clad cable). This is an example: This will support a 60 Amp Circuit, and will be rated for max of 48 Amps continuous load. (You can set the ChargePoint to charge at 48 Amps.) This needs to be a direct connection for 48 Amps. Do not install a receptacle.

Reactions: EdisonFire
Lol...I just got an email from JCP&L...Good news: My application was approved...bad news "It may take up to 45 days for your rebate check to be mailed." So at the end of the day:
1) I first applied when my charger was installed...Early June
2) In Mid July....I was told (after I proactively inquired) that I needed to supply more pictures to complete the application (which were not mentioned for the original application.) I submitted these immediately.
3) Now on August 30 the application is approved
4) It may not be until Mid October before I actually receive the $1500 check.

So it will be about 6 months from when I first submitted the application to actually receiving the reimbursement. Better late than never I suppose!

You will not be able to submit all the information with the application until after the installation is completed and paid for. I did not get approval first, I just made sure that

1) The Charger I purchased is on the list of approved devices. (Chargepoint Nema 14-50 in my case).
2) The electrician is licensed (has a license number)
3) The electrician provides you a receipt for the paid installation. You will need to take a picture of the serial number on the installed unit and a picture of the completed installation.

The "Customer Make Ready" incentive ($1500) is to cover the cost of labor and materials on that PDF you linked. The incentive does NOT cover the cost of the charger itself. But it does cover costs for the electrician to install the charger. So

1) You cover the cost of the charger and purchase it separately.
2) You contract an electrician to install the charger.
3) The $1500 is to cover any costs that the electrician charges you for labor and material for anything between the meter and up to and including the installation of the charger. (Again, not the cost of the charger itself.)

NOTE: I am still waiting on them to deliver my $1500 check. They are supposed to send this out by Labor day based on when my application was received (45 days after they receive and accept the application.). If I do not receive it by then I'll be following up.
Thank you so much for the response! That really helps clear things up.

This will likely be my final update on this (unless there are questions from other JCP&L customers)

1) I did actually receive the $1500 check for the make ready incentive.
2) It will almost certainly benefit anyone charging a vehicle at home to make sure you change your billing rates to "RT" (Residential Time of Day"), instead of the standard residential service RS. This requires a new meter which JCP&L installs free of charge.

My August Usage:
Peak: 716 KWH
Off Peak: 1689 KWH
(Of the 1689 Off Peak usage, 493 KWH was for charging the Model S)

Bill if Using RT Rates: $316.73
Bill if Using RS Rates: $395.06

My energy bill in the Summer...INCLUDING car charging...is now less than it would have been if I were still on RS rates...and didn't charge my EV at all.

This will likely be my final update on this (unless there are questions from other JCP&L customers)

1) I did actually receive the $1500 check for the make ready incentive.
2) It will almost certainly benefit anyone charging a vehicle at home to make sure you change your billing rates to "RT" (Residential Time of Day"), instead of the standard residential service RS. This requires a new meter which JCP&L installs free of charge.

My August Usage:
Peak: 716 KWH
Off Peak: 1689 KWH
(Of the 1689 Off Peak usage, 493 KWH was for charging the Model S)

Bill if Using RT Rates: $316.73
Bill if Using RS Rates: $395.06

My energy bill in the Summer...INCLUDING car charging...is now less than it would have been if I were still on RS rates...and didn't charge my EV at all.
Thank you for all of your summarizing.

I have one nagging issue if you could address: Does the RT rates during the day increase/change over what it is with RS? I had read of some comment(s) that it was, but nothing was definitive. Can you provide the distribution and delivery rates for RS vs RT? Looking for a comparison of similar periods, e.g. Summer rates. Not asking for rates through out the year.

Thank you for all of your summarizing.

I have one nagging issue if you could address: Does the RT rates during the day increase/change over what it is with RS? I had read of some comment(s) that it was, but nothing was definitive. Can you provide the distribution and delivery rates for RS vs RT? Looking for a comparison of similar periods, e.g. Summer rates. Not asking for rates through out the year.
I will summarize the current rates: Note that it is difficult to do an apples to apples comparison because (in Summer) RS rates change after your monthly usage goes above 600 KWH. (Where RT rates change depending on time of use). Below are the current rates for RS and RT...including all taxes, surcharges / riders. (Though this does not include the 0.04 credit you would get for charging under the ev program:

RS < 600 KWHRS > 600 KWHRT Off PeakRT On Peak
Basic Generation
0.0924​
0.1016​
0.0767​
0.1217​
Delivery Service
0.0320​
0.0850​
0.0386​
0.0665​
Total
0.1244​
0.1866​
0.1153​
0.1882​

As you can see, the RT Off Peak rates are similar to the RS rates less than 600 KWH. The RT On Peak rates are similar to the greater than 600 KWH RS rates. So whether or not you save depends on your total electric usage per month, and what your typical peak / off peak split is. Again, as an example, for my home in August, I used 2405 KwH...70% of which was off-peak usage, The RT rates saved me about $80 this month.

Remember, that RT Off Peak rates include the entire weekend, day and night. RT On Peak rates are 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM weekdays only. (Eastern Daylight Time.)

Reactions: nemodio
The status of my jcpl ev application is “awaiting charger communication “. How do I know if my juice box is communicating properly to JCPL? I know it’s connected to WiFi with the white led bar, but I know nothing about the data transmission…..

The status of my jcpl ev application is “awaiting charger communication “. How do I know if my juice box is communicating properly to JCPL? I know it’s connected to WiFi with the white led bar, but I know nothing about the data transmission…..
Unfortunately, I can't help you there. I know when I registered my Chargepoint unit, I had to add a "JCP&L Connection" to my Chargepoint account. (Presumably, this is what lets JCP&L monitor my usage). Instructions on how to do this came (if I recall) when I first registered for the program during the Honeywell sign-up process that JCP&L uses.

Reactions: range269
My application is currently in the same status as well. I found out from JCPL today and confirmed with Enel X Way that Juicebox chargers are having an issue with sending data to the Honeywell network that JCPL uses. I was told I have to wait until that is resolved. Enel said 4-6 weeks, but I think the issue might have been going on for a couple months so who knows when they’ll actually get it sorted out. Hopefully you got the Chargepoint instead.

My application is currently in the same status as well. I found out from JCPL today and confirmed with Enel X Way that Juicebox chargers are having an issue with sending data to the Honeywell network that JCPL uses. I was told I have to wait until that is resolved. Enel said 4-6 weeks, but I think the issue might have been going on for a couple months so who knows when they’ll actually get it sorted out. Hopefully you got the Chargepoint instead.
Thank you so much for the information. I have been recommending ChargePoint to friends since I installed juicebox…..

This discussion seems to focus on JCP&L. I live in Sussex County and the power company is Sussex Rural Electric Coop. A generally great company. We're "members" of the co-op and the focus seems to be on serving its members BUT they are a bit behind the times in not providing any incentive at all for EVs, including not having any rebate for the connector. FWIW, my installation cost $1,700 + the $475 for the wall connector.

I think I can shed some light on why the Tesla connector doesn't qualify for the $250 ChargeUpNJ rebate. Tesla didn't/won't send in the paperwork. I had several email communications with ChargeUpNJ (sponsored by the NJ Board of Public Utilities). They told me the Tesla connector isn't on the list because
Manufacturers must register with the NJ Board of Public Utilities and be approved before being added to our list.
So I emailed Tesla--several times--and asked them to register. Their reply (repeated a couple of times) was
We have no control over 3rd party rebates if tesla is not listed for their EV charging promos
Well, of course they do. I got $1,500 off the price of the car thanks to ChargeUpNJ. Tesla obviously submitted the paperwork for that.

My guess is, Tesla sells so many cars they can take a "buyer be damned" attitude toward customers and potential customers.

Love the car (so far), hate the company.

Was hoping they would have a discount or exchange program for people who bought the J1772 version within the last x number of months. Does anyone feel it's worth the $200?
I ordered one, so by definition I think it's worth it. Though technically, I'm including it in our "x-mas gift" budget....

Only you can decide if it's worth it. It allows you to plug and unplug and holster/unholster without having to keep the adapter handy. That's really the ONLY benefit. So if dealing with the adapter doesn't bother you, you have your answer.