Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW JERSEY First Energy/JCP&L Charging Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why Tesla's charger is not qualified. I assume it's one of two reasons:
1) Tesla won't allow outside access to their network for the charging data
2) The NACS connector is not the "Federal Standard". (This is changing of course.)
I did have an electrician reach out to me for a quote, he mentioned something about the wifi connection.
The company offers Juicebox which does qualify, I know i'll be getting a tesla, last thing i want is to use a connector for home charging.

Anyone in the Parsippany NJ area can recommend an electrician that can install a Tesla wall charger for a competitive price?
Since this is likely going to be 100% paid out by me.

I did have an electrician reach out to me for a quote, he mentioned something about the wifi connection.
The company offers Juicebox which does qualify, I know i'll be getting a tesla, last thing i want is to use a connector for home charging.

Anyone in the Parsippany NJ area can recommend an electrician that can install a Tesla wall charger for a competitive price?
Since this is likely going to be 100% paid out by me.
As I mentioned earlier, Fehsal electric did good for me. I also got a quote from Esposito's Electric....also very professional and thorough in their assessment, but their price came in a bit higher Fehsal. Both do work in Morris County area.

Also, Chargepoint also announced today that they will be offering a retrofit of the connector on the home charger to Tesla's NACS. So you could purchase and install the Chargepoint (and get reimbursed for the install), use an adapter for a little while. Then as long as Charpoint delivers on their promise, you'll be able to swap the cable for a NACS connector later this year and no more adapter needed. Only question is the how much they will charge for the connector swap.

As I mentioned earlier, Fehsal electric did good for me. I also got a quote from Esposito's Electric....also very professional and thorough in their assessment, but their price came in a bit higher Fehsal. Both do work in Morris County area.

Also, Chargepoint also announced today that they will be offering a retrofit of the connector on the home charger to Tesla's NACS. So you could purchase and install the Chargepoint (and get reimbursed for the install), use an adapter for a little while. Then as long as Charpoint delivers on their promise, you'll be able to swap the cable for a NACS connector later this year and no more adapter needed. Only question is the how much they will charge for the connector swap.
Thank you, I did reach out to Mike from Fehsal to come out to take a look for a quote.

It is EnergyStar certified (unless I'm missing something):

You’re right.

IMG_1804.jpeg

Being the stellar utility company that JCPL is, I would have expected them to update their awesome, easy to navigate, plainly and simply stated website on March 16th! /s 🙄

Being the stellar utility company that JCPL is, I would have expected them to update their awesome, easy to navigate, plainly and simply stated website on March 16th! /s 🙄
Lol! 😉

I waited 6 weeks after applying to be accepted into the program (with no response) until I finally called and was told I needed to upload a couple more pictures via email. I did that and then I just got another "we received your application expect to hear back from us in 4-6 weeks."

I can't wait to see what the process is like to switch from standard residential to "time based" residential rates...

I requested from JCP&L to have my meter changed out so I could do Time of Day based billing. (They logged the request and said a service rep will call me back to discuss and make sure I understand how my billing will change and to verify that I want to actually change.) Based on my calculations, I will definitely save during the summer months. I have yet to run some calcs to project costs in the non-summer months.

One important thing to note about "Peak Rates" vs. "Non Peak Rates".

For overall billing, "Peak Rates" are currently 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM Eastern Standard Time. (Weekdays)

HOWEVER, the $0.02/KHW credits for the EV program are issued for charging between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time. (Weekdays)

Weekends are "non-peak" rates for both billing and the EV Credit program.

So to get the absolute best rates for charging: Charge between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM (or any time on the weekend). The total rate right now, after EV Program Credit and using the Time of Day billing / meter, would be about $0.078/KWH, so roughly $8 to "completely fill up" a 100 KWH Model S battery.

I spoke with JCPL today and was kind of frustrated with them. The current rate I am on is odd. I pay like a Basic Generation fee ~0.092/kwh (24/7) and then an additional supply fee of ~0.076/kwh, which seems to change every month, and even my basic generation fee slightly fluctuates.

If I move to the time of day plan, they said I need to contact the service department and set up a new service and get that installed. So with the new Time of Day billing, will I still be hit with this 0.07/kwh supply charge each month? Because it feels like I will pay the $8 to fill up but be dinged the supply charge also, which is close to about $7.

Can anyone explain this I can not get a straight answer from JCPL, and when I even talked to the company for EV Driven which offers the $1500 rebate and 0.2/kwh discount, they said they were just third party for JCPL and could not answer. Any help would be appreciated. I think it definitely is better to do the Time of Day service or at least close to the same.

This is my understanding how things work: It's confusing because JCPL bills only show "two" components:

• Basic Generation Service
  • Delivery Service

HOWEVER, "Basic Generation Service" is made up of two separately priced components:
  • Transmission
  • Energy and Reconciliation Charges

So, each KWH that you use, has three separately billed components:

1) BGS: Transmission
2) BGS : Energy Reconciliation
3) Delivery

Here is a link to the latest rates. (See document for Current: Tariff Part III)

To give you an idea, the "Time of Day Rates" are currently the following:

1) BGS Transmission: 0.009182 / KWH
2) BGS Energy Reconciliation:
Summer: Peak Times: 0.108359
Summer: Off Peak Times: 0.063363

3) Delivery:
Summer: Peak Times: 0.052349
Summer: Off Peak Times: 0.024453

Soooo....

Using Time of Day Rates, if you charge off peak (9:00 PM to 9:00 AM) (During Summer Months) the total per KWH is:
0.009182+0.063363+0.024453 = 0.096998 / KWH.

Then if you are in the EV Credit program, that is reduced by 0.02 (if you charge between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM)...to give about $0.077/KWH.

At least I think that's right!

So basically today I am paying 0.17 when you add the Supply and Basic they are charging me. I will save over 50% moving to this plan plus the 0.02 discount on charging. I already have the $1500 rebate for install of the Cahrgepoint charger plus the $250 rebate and the additional fed discounts. It is a no-brainer moving to the Time of Day Rates just so mad I didn't do this for the last 10 years. No wonder why my electric bill has been crazy.

So basically today I am paying 0.17 when you add the Supply and Basic they are charging me. I will save over 50% moving to this plan plus the 0.02 discount on charging. I already have the $1500 rebate for install of the Cahrgepoint charger plus the $250 rebate and the additional fed discounts. It is a no-brainer moving to the Time of Day Rates just so mad I didn't do this for the last 10 years. No wonder why my electric bill has been crazy.
Pretty much, but like everything else...it's not quite that simple.

During the summer months, (on the non time based plan) you are charged different rates for the first 600 KWH vs. everything over 600 KWH. The current total rate for more than 600 KWH is indeed about 0.17 (like you said). However, the first 600 KWH total cost is only about 0.11.

On the Time Based plan....the total cost per KWH for peak times in the summer is also about 0.17....even on the first KWH for that month.

During non summer months, the rate (non time based) is currently about 0.13 (no matter how much energy you use per month). The time based rates are higher during peak hours, lower during non peak hours.

So whether or not the time based plan makes sense depends on
1) How much more than 600 KWH you typically use per month in the summer.
2) The split between how much energy you use during off peak vs. peak times.

As a generalization I think the vast majority of people who have an EV...and who can charge off-peak, would benefit by using the Time Based rates.

Pretty much, but like everything else...it's not quite that simple.

During the summer months, (on the non time based plan) you are charged different rates for the first 600 KWH vs. everything over 600 KWH. The current total rate for more than 600 KWH is indeed about 0.17 (like you said). However, the first 600 KWH total cost is only about 0.11.

On the Time Based plan....the total cost per KWH for peak times in the summer is also about 0.17....even on the first KWH for that month.

During non summer months, the rate (non time based) is currently about 0.13 (no matter how much energy you use per month). The time based rates are higher during peak hours, lower during non peak hours.

So whether or not the time based plan makes sense depends on
1) How much more than 600 KWH you typically use per month in the summer.
2) The split between how much energy you use during off peak vs. peak times.

As a generalization I think the vast majority of people who have an EV...and who can charge off-peak, would benefit by using the Time Based rates.
Yeah, last month, I used an insane amount of 3,000 KWH, which has me thinking I better consider evaluating the time-based rates. Of course, JCPL is no help in letting me know which would work better for me. I saw on a post earlier this year that they will switch out your meter for free, and it will support both time-based and the non-time-based plan. This means if I find the Time based not saving me money, then I can always easily switch back.

Yeah, last month, I used an insane amount of 3,000 KWH, which has me thinking I better consider evaluating the time-based rates. Of course, JCPL is no help in letting me know which would work better for me. I saw on a post earlier this year that they will switch out your meter for free, and it will support both time-based and the non-time-based plan. This means if I find the Time based not saving me money, then I can always easily switch back.
I am tracking my usage this month (taking a meter reading ever 12 hours) so I can get a better idea of what the total difference in my bill would be with time based vs. standard billing. My usage will be a little lighter this month (was on vacation a week), but with temperatures the way they are I expect total usage to be around 2200+ KWH.

It will definitely be cheaper to go with Time Based vs. Standard Billing for me for the summer months.

JCP&L Just replaced my standard meter with the Time Based meter. (The meter also appears to support sending energy back to the grid if/when I ever get solar.) I didn't even know they changed it out...power did not have to be turned off.

In any case, I got in almost a full month (27 days) of 2x daily meter readings with the old meter to track day/night usage in a summer month. If my calculations are correct:

Total usage of 1934 KWH
Peak hrs usage: 765k KWH
Off Peak hrs Usage: 1169 KWH

The bill using standard rates (RS) should be about: $292
The bill using Time of Day Rates (RT) would be about: $245

I charged about 247 kWH over those 27 days. Lighter than usual since I was on Vaca for a week, plus I supercharged once.

The more charging I do at home during off peak hours, the more beneficial going to Time of Day rates will be.

I will track one more month of usage (with the new meter), just to make sure my calculations are correct.

JCP&L Just replaced my standard meter with the Time Based meter. (The meter also appears to support sending energy back to the grid if/when I ever get solar.) I didn't even know they changed it out...power did not have to be turned off.

In any case, I got in almost a full month (27 days) of 2x daily meter readings with the old meter to track day/night usage in a summer month. If my calculations are correct:

Total usage of 1934 KWH
Peak hrs usage: 765k KWH
Off Peak hrs Usage: 1169 KWH

The bill using standard rates (RS) should be about: $292
The bill using Time of Day Rates (RT) would be about: $245

I charged about 247 kWH over those 27 days. Lighter than usual since I was on Vaca for a week, plus I supercharged once.

The more charging I do at home during off peak hours, the more beneficial going to Time of Day rates will be.

I will track one more month of usage (with the new meter), just to make sure my calculations are correct.
Keep us updated. I also heard at anytime you can switch back to the old rate but seems like it is going to be beneficial doing time of day service. Will save at least 15%.

Keep us updated. I also heard at anytime you can switch back to the old rate but seems like it is going to be beneficial doing time of day service. Will save at least 15%.
Will do. I figured out how read the new meter, and when exactly the off peak hours currently are. The meter is set to eastern STANDARD time, which is one hour behind eastern DAYLIGHT time. In other words, while it is actually 6:30 PM right now (in the summer / daylight savings time), the meter says it's 5:30 PM. This means that

1) While Daylight Savings Time is in effect (March to November), "On Peak" hours are weekdays from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
2) While Daylight Savings Time is not in effect (November to March), "On Peak" hours are 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.

Weekends are always Off Peak.
Those hours apply to determine the rates for ANY electricity use.

However, the "off peak" hours specifically for charging (in order to get the additional EV Program Credits) are narrower:

1) Daylight Savings Time in effect: 12:00 Midnight to 7:00 AM
2) Daylight Savings Time not in effect: 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

And it appears that there are actually 2 separate EV Charging credit programs...EACH takes of $0.02/KHW for net off-peak charging. This means that (if I am correct), charging between 12:00 midnight to 7:00 AM....the cost is less than $0.06/KWH after applying the credits.

I am still waiting to be "accepted" into the EV Credit program, so it may be a while before I can confirm how the credits work....but in about a month I should get the first actual Time Based rate bill and will post here to confirm the expected savings.

Here's my latest update. I have been on the RT (Time of Use) meter and rates for 2+ weeks now, and I received my final bill from my old RS Meter / Rates. That last bill does include the EV Program credits, and I can confirm that there are in fact 2 separate $0.02/KWH credits, for a total of $0.04/KWH Credit for charging during off peak hours.

In my prior calculations I was not aware of about $0.015/KWH of additional charges on every KWH (on both RT and RS Rates). But now that I have reconciled my last bill to the penny, I am 100% confident in knowing:

1) What the cost difference is between going from RS (Residential Standard) Rates to RT (Residential Time of Use) rates for my usage.
2) The actual cost for charging at home during off peak hours.

To give an example, my July usage (which had lower charging and overall use than normal due to a vacation):
Total kWH Use: 1940 KWH
Total Peak Use: 772
Total Off Peak Use: 1168
Charing Use: 247

SUMMER RATES:
Total Bill (Using RS) Rates: $318
Total Bill (If using RT) Rates: $277

I would have saved about $40 (13%) had I been on RT Rates.

And the more charging you do, the bigger the savings will be for going to RT (Time of Use) rates.

The total cost for charging:
RS Rates: $ 0.187/KWH
RT Rates: $ 0.075/KWH

That is a HUGE difference during the summer months. It is over 2X the cost to charge on RS plan vs. Charging off-peak rates on the RT Plan.

During NON summer months, the difference in costs will be much less, but it will still favor RT Rates.