Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ - Time to Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - just wondering if anyone in NJ can share how long it took Tesla to get you your “real” plates and registration. In the past with other dealers we’ve basically gotten them in two weeks, but we’re going away at the end of the month when the temp tag expires so I’m interested to see at what point I need to pester the service center.

My guess is Tesla will FedEx the plates and paperwork after MVC processes them. Thanks!

Hi all - just wondering if anyone in NJ can share how long it took Tesla to get you your “real” plates and registration. In the past with other dealers we’ve basically gotten them in two weeks, but we’re going away at the end of the month when the temp tag expires so I’m interested to see at what point I need to pester the service center.

My guess is Tesla will FedEx the plates and paperwork after MVC processes them. Thanks!
We also wonder about this as the temp tag on our MY is going to expire by the end of June.
Tesla has to be on this with the NJMVC, or else loads of MY's could be running around with expired registrations in NJ?
Anyone know how long it was from pick up to plates in the mail day? Thanks.

We also wonder about this as the temp tag on our MY is going to expire by the end of June.
Tesla has to be on this with the NJMVC, or else loads of MY's could be running around with expired registrations in NJ?
Anyone know how long it was from pick up to plates in the mail day? Thanks.
Purchased Dec 2020 and it took exactly 1 Month to get permanent plate. Tesla @ Springfield location does all of NJ Tesla MVC paperwork. One day I called Springfield location but call routed to Tesla in Las Vegas (probably location was closed for day) - a nice gentlemen in Las Vegas expedited the process. Title took another couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Took delivery at Springfield in Dec 2020 as well, I received my plates in the mail either the day before or day my temps were expiring. I remember reaching out and asking maybe a week or two before they were due to expire and they said it would be processed the week of. They were in a Fedex overnight envelope when they arrived.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
We actually went out of town, but we were able to track down with Springfield that our plates were a little delayed because the financing bank (U.S. Bank) needed to send a document for MVC over. We’re all registered now, just without the plates in hand. We’re working on a solution for getting the plates while we’re gone, but they’re going to send a PDF of the registration card in case we get pulled over while away. It’s an easy story that we’re on vacation so we don’t physically have the plates yet if anyone asks, but we confirmed the car is registered and will be legal after the temps expire (thank goodness).

• Informative
June 5 delivery at Springfield, still waiting. Called and emailed the Springfield service center, but they didn't reply.
This is like us as well. May 31 delivery at Springfield... one week left on the paper temp tags.
To think that they will let the registration expire is crazy, so we are going to sit tight until it does!
Tesla will be on the hook. No amount of lawyer nonsense will get them out of failure to register customer autos. This means we are likely going to get our plates on the last day, like others here on this thread.
Thanks for letting us know that calling and sending emails at the end of Quarter is a no go. You just know they are jammed up getting out new cars.

Reactions: haroldo
Springfield here as well - pre COVID. They came FedEx with just about one day to expiry.

I know the DMV had relaxed some rules with COVID, but prior to that towns around here saw expired plates as a license to print money. It's generally an automatic tow. Be careful. I'm sure the tow truck company the town contracts with no precisely how to tow a Tesla...

Springfield here as well - pre COVID. They came FedEx with just about one day to expiry.

I know the DMV had relaxed some rules with COVID, but prior to that towns around here saw expired plates as a license to print money. It's generally an automatic tow. Be careful. I'm sure the tow truck company the town contracts with no precisely how to tow a Tesla...
In this area, no one is towing new Tesla cars. In our neighborhood, they could get arrested or shot.
Solve the problem by sending plates and paperwork on time, you expect this from any legit business. Tesla is on the hook for this.
As for NJ DMV, they are outdated and trying to still get caught up from the pandemic. Check out the "Real ID" wait list for example.

In this area, no one is towing new Tesla cars. In our neighborhood, they could get arrested or shot.
Solve the problem by sending plates and paperwork on time, you expect this from any legit business. Tesla is on the hook for this.
As for NJ DMV, they are outdated and trying to still get caught up from the pandemic. Check out the "Real ID" wait list for example.
New NJ DMV License Plates arrived today from Tesla via Fed Ex packet.
One day left on the temp tag, but on time, seems they know the deadline and must meet it.
We are putting both on the MY, it is $100 per ticket for missing front plate in NJ. That buys a nice front mount.
:)

Reactions: Mr_Bob
I got my plates one day before expiration as well, but I decided to only run the rear plate. I have the front plate mounted and ready-to-go in the trunk (SnapPlate), but will use the excuse that I just got done detailing the car if I'm ever pulled over for it. Honestly, I've seen more and more new cars without front plates in NJ, police must be more relaxed on the law. Hopefully they amend the law soon.

I'll keep an eye out for you along Ocean Ave.

If you're interested in a front plate mount, I recommend SnapPlate Model 3 Removable Front License Plate Mount
Phenomenal customer service, I had a few questions and they responded very quickly
Thanks for that info. We went with Quick Bandit, well made and perfect fit. Looks good, not ugly.
Also, easy to install, no tools no drill. Easy to wash behind the plate.

Thanks for that info. We went with Quick Bandit, well made and perfect fit. Looks good, not ugly.
Also, easy to install, no tools no drill. Easy to wash behind the plate.
Same here, use a Bandit on my 3, and The Law bracket on my X. Both work great.

I'm the opposite of so many -- I PREFER everyone have a front plate. It helps catch the unscrupulous -- imagine a rear-end accident where someone hits and runs. With a front plate on, you stand a chance of catching the knucklehead on the Teslacam. Without, they can hit, run and leave you high and dry.

I'm all for front plates ...