Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ -> VT ski trip MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, apologies - new guy here to the site so not sure if this question is posted in the right forum. Will move if possible…

Has anyone made a round trip run to Stratton mountain in VT from northern NJ (Bergen County)? 2021 MYLR with 20” wheels.

winter, packed car with 2 adults, 2 kids, cargo carrier on top for skis

There are SCs on the thruway (87) but not sure what’s the best strategy to make it there, find some destination charging, then make it back. Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,
Jon

have you done any runs with a cargo carrier on top? If you have a '65mph consumption' figure in that 'dirty configuration' you can enter it in ABRP and get decent results.

I'd just suggest charging as full as your passengers' 'good nature' allows in albany area. but otherwise follow the car recommendations.

and don't drive fast. bad aero is really noticeable when you go fast.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
I'll also throw this out there: I ended up skipping the roof box and just using the folding middle of the back seat along with a large ski bag holding the four sets of skis. its tight-ish for 4, but we make it work.

I did this mostly because my Thule box didn't fit (it didn't have enough bar-to-bar span adjustability to fit the Y) and in the end not having the box on top helps to not make the other 'winter range effects' even worse...

Upvote 0
I'll also throw this out there: I ended up skipping the roof box and just using the folding middle of the back seat along with a large ski bag holding the four sets of skis. its tight-ish for 4, but we make it work.

I did this mostly because my Thule box didn't fit (it didn't have enough bar-to-bar span adjustability to fit the Y) and in the end not having the box on top helps to not make the other 'winter range effects' even worse...

Ok - I think we can do it without the box up top. It's a three day trip more or less so we're not bringing much more than our ski gear. I just tested the skis via middle pass thru and it will be fine.

Tesla nav today says w/ current SoC @ ~ 56% I can get to Stratton Mountain in 3:40 which includes a 25 min SC stop @ Kingston, NY. I think 3:15 is the fastest we've ever gotten there in an ICE vehicle so this is not so bad. We'll leave @ 100% SoC so my guess is any SC stop the nav determines then should be less than 25 mins estimated today.

I wonder if there's any info on destination chargers at the mountain? Looks like they have a total of 11 level 2's recently installed but not sure how busy they get and if you can plug in overnight. More homework to do!

Thanks again to all for the feedback so far!

Jon

Upvote 0
Ok - I think we can do it without the box up top. It's a three day trip more or less so we're not bringing much more than our ski gear. I just tested the skis via middle pass thru and it will be fine.

Tesla nav today says w/ current SoC @ ~ 56% I can get to Stratton Mountain in 3:40 which includes a 25 min SC stop @ Kingston, NY. I think 3:15 is the fastest we've ever gotten there in an ICE vehicle so this is not so bad. We'll leave @ 100% SoC so my guess is any SC stop the nav determines then should be less than 25 mins estimated today.

I wonder if there's any info on destination chargers at the mountain? Looks like they have a total of 11 level 2's recently installed but not sure how busy they get and if you can plug in overnight. More homework to do!

Jon
Plugshare app will tell you about any and all chargers in the Stratton area. Not sure of the route you're taking, but if you pass by Albany and can avoid Kingston, the chargers at the Crossgates Mall (just off I-90/I-87 interchange) are great - there are like 20 and you are less likely to have to share as at Kingston, so you'll charge more quickly. My parents are in Saratoga Springs so I travel up I-87 all the time. Oh, and don't worry about getting to 100%. I generally charge to 95% for a road trip so I still have some regen, and it won't make any difference in terms of where you'll be stopping. Getting from 95% to 100% can take a long time as well. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Jon
My first poke at abetterrouteplanner said you'd need a SIX minute stop in Albany if you started with a fullish battery, for a total elapsed time of like 3:50, to arrive at stratton with 10%. I'd clearly want to arrive with considerably more than that.

You didn't mention where you were actually staying.

Upvote 0
I have been driving NYC to West Dover, VT which is just a few miles from Stratton lots of times and do not bother to charge to 100 because you will need to stop and do a charge en route anyway. I will charge to 80 or 90 per cent depending on how cold it is up in VT. (Cold EATS battery.) There are a number of fast chargers on NYS Throughway where you can grab a quick "top off" and grab a bite and a drink. There are chargers around at Stratton you just need to start with where you are staying to see if they have a destination charger or know of one nearby. There are chargers in Manchester, right down the road. Don't sweat it. Have fun.

Upvote 0
My first poke at abetterrouteplanner said you'd need a SIX minute stop in Albany if you started with a fullish battery, for a total elapsed time of like 3:50, to arrive at stratton with 10%. I'd clearly want to arrive with considerably more than that.

You didn't mention where you were actually staying.
We’re staying at the mountain watch complex which is across the street from a general parking lot with some level 2 chargers - I think 8. Not sure how busy they get and/or if you can plug in overnight.

Upvote 0
Given that it's winter, I'd charge at the New Paltz SC to maybe 80% and the charge again at the Albany SC to 80% again. You could go to higher charge percentages but it's not worth it. That will get you to Stratton with decent charge % left just in case the EV charging situation is suboptimal. I've driven along the route from NJ to Montreal a lot and it's an easy ride given the number of Tesla's SCs.

Upvote 0
I just did NYC to Stowe last weekend using the pass through middle ski method (the frunk and the under-trunk are both great for boots). It worked great, easy SC en route (although I know different route from you). I will say in the super cold the wh/mi was much higher than I have had (340 vs 250 - again, I know this is a known thing). Anyway, just plan for extra stops if it gets cold...

@essaunders i am wondering what ski bag you used? I had to use two and am looking for a better single option...

Upvote 0
I just did NYC to Stowe last weekend using the pass through middle ski method (the frunk and the under-trunk are both great for boots). It worked great, easy SC en route (although I know different route from you). I will say in the super cold the wh/mi was much higher than I have had (340 vs 250 - again, I know this is a known thing). Anyway, just plan for extra stops if it gets cold...

@essaunders i am wondering what ski bag you used? I had to use two and am looking for a better single option...
I just use a Dakine Fall Line Roller Bag. i have a 175, but 190 would fit. it says 'two pairs of skis' but I can carefully fit (for car transport only) more. YMMV based on ski size. I like the large opening. I suspect any similar bag could serve just as well. I didn't buy this one for this purpose - it was just the best option of the ski bags I had.

another hint: I chopped up a dog-seatbelt leash buckle to 'buckle in' to the middle seat to keep the seat belt warning from being annoying (from the ski bag weight). you can plug the middle seat belt in 'normally' but the buckle pokes into the folded seat a bit, and I didn't like that. the cut down bulked tricks the car yet is short enough it doesn't hit the folded seat back.

Reactions: NYMY
Upvote 0
I usually go I95 to I91. Usually stop at Brattleboro VT exit and top off there. With your extra load I'd probably hit the West Springfield charger which is next to Costco and behind Panera, then see what you have by the time you hit Brattleboro. The carriers have a lot of drag and add the cold wouldn’t surprise me if you average about 350-375kw/mile. VT doesn’t have a ton of Tesla superchargers, generally you find level 2 chargers and a few CCS. Most of the ski mountains do have level 2 chargers in the parking lots, so that is always a good place to charge. See what you have when you hit Brattleboro but probably a idea to top the car at that point.

Upvote 0
I usually go I95 to I91. Usually stop at Brattleboro VT exit and top off there. With your extra load I'd probably hit the West Springfield charger which is next to Costco and behind Panera, then see what you have by the time you hit Brattleboro. The carriers have a lot of drag and add the cold wouldn’t surprise me if you average about 350-375kw/mile. VT doesn’t have a ton of Tesla superchargers, generally you find level 2 chargers and a few CCS. Most of the ski mountains do have level 2 chargers in the parking lots, so that is always a good place to charge. See what you have when you hit Brattleboro but probably a idea to top the car at that point.
If you charge at Brattleboro use the chargers closest to the store’s parking lot. They are 250’s vs. the ones furthest from entrance.

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
Upvote 0
* Update*

So I chickened out and didn't take the Model Y to Stratton. I just couldn't get a comfort level with the destination charging situation. I will, however, make the leap next time as I think there will be better options going forward.

That said, I have the following info for anyone else thinking about making the trip:

• There are 3 level 2 chargers outside the welcome center (green box on image below)
  • There are 8 level 2 chargers roughed-in (not sure when actual stations will be installed) in lot 1 (red box on image below)
  • The long trail house has 110 outlets scattered in their underground parking garage (blue boxes on image below)
  • We stayed at the mountain watch complex (yellow box on image below)
The 8 level 2 chargers roughed-in is me just basically saying there are 8 defined parking spots with signs posted for EV charging + wires sticking out of the ground waiting for the charging hardware. I should have taken a picture of this situation!

Next time I go, I'll probably just try to get the Long Trail house w/ underground parking, then hunt for a spot that's close to a 110 outlet.

Hope this helps!

stratton-ev.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
* Update *

Took the MYLR to Stratton Mountain last week and was a lot easier than expected. Ended up charging at the Crossgates mall SC in Albany on the way there and back. Not sure if I hit the busiest times for this SC but although we didn’t have to wait for a stall, both stops only had 1 or 2 open (of 20) each round.

Anyway, there are 8 ChargePoint plugs in Lot 1 at the mountain that although again crowded, mostly available for slow charging.

The temps were not that low so maybe not the most typical run but I’m thinking it’s still an achievable endeavor outside the margins. Will be back at the end of February so maybe that will be a different story. Hopefully not!

Upvote 0