Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no 2009 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well hopefully that's good news since raising the prices on 08 orders is supposed to make them profitable by summer. I'm no business expert (especially in the car field), but isn't that fairly impressive?

Yes, it is "just a label." But, if they build just one with a MY2009 label, it will be worth a fortune as a collector car (collectors can be quite irrational).

GSP

Ah... I was wondering when this news was going to "go public." This idea has been bouncing around since January or so. It makes a ton of sense while the 2009s are so late in beginning production and all the other car manufacturers are just about to release their 2010s. I was wondering if the small run of Sport models were going to be 2009s - but I guess they will all be 2010.

The upside to this is that the 2010MY will now likely be a longer run than the 2009. Originally they were planning on raising the price for 2010, and starting that run near Christmas. Now that is pushed out to the 2011MY -- so if they still are thinking of raising the price again, that price increase will likely not happen for another 15 months or so (instead of 6).

That probably means they still have too many "2008" Roadsters to build. I found on wikipedia that there are 650 2008 Roadsters.

They are starting the final batch of 2008 model year Roadsters now. I was told on Monday that mine starts production in early May and that marks the beginning of the new model year and new interior. Delivery is still on target for late June.

I heard there are about 550 for the 2008 model year.

All along they have been saying 600.

Maybe if you count founders cars, VPs, Signature editions, limited edition glicees, first strikes, signed versions, lithographic prints, etc. you come up with some number. At some point this should be sorted out by us.

So did they cut off early, or have there been 50 cancellations and upgrades to Sports?

I saw a spreadsheet where everyone with a 2008 model year had locked in and made their color selections. It was a spreadsheet showing the distribution of exterior color selections. This was BEFORE everyone was unlocked for the price increase. At that time, there were only 580 Roadsters for the 2008 model year. Tesla was offering people the option to buy into those final 20 positions for $125,000.

Soon thereafter the Sport model was announced and the price increases happened. Both of those events caused the number of 2008 Roadsters to decline from 580. I doubt there were many buyers of the $125,000 option to hurry up. It doesn't make sense when the Sport Roadster was nearly the same price.

That is why I think the actual number of 2008 Roadsters is around 550. That number makes sense based on where they are with current deliveries, the rate per week and what they are telling me about my estimated delivery date.