Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AM Radio Band in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As noted in the other thread, I have some of the same challenges that others have. I live roughly 50 miles east of St. Louis in Illinois.

KMOX (a clear channel AM station on 1120 kilocycles) is the primary carrier of the Cardinals games. KMOX also broadcasts on 102.5 HD3 with approximately 30 second delay, but once you get out to my home, HD reception is spotty at best. TuneIn carries KMOX with a delay of nearly 60 seconds and is also subject to sports event blackouts, which is problematic.

That said, AM reception in the Model S kinda sucked and was super-susceptible to EMI. I guess we'll just have to find other ways.

When (If) Tesla ever opens up third-party application capabilities, I imagine we will begin to see AppleTV-esque apps appear.

Glad you brought up the missing Slacker on the Overview portion on the touchscreen. Perhaps they didn't think that Slacker was like AM/FM/XM and didn't want to confuse anyone.

I never had to pay with Model S, yet.

I remember hearing the one year comment on one delivery training video. Obviously not accurate after seeing the new posts below.

On the music screen, go to "Internet", then "Tune In", then "Local Radio" then scroll all the way down past all the FM stations. then you will see a list of all the AM stations..Just saw it on one of the forums...Give it a try..hope it helps

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
On the music screen, go to "Internet", then "Tune In", then "Local Radio" then scroll all the way down past all the FM stations. then you will see a list of all the AM stations..Just saw it on one of the forums...Give it a try...hope it helps
It does work for the local AM stations that are shown. Thanks for the tip for easy access to the majority of the AM stations in a local area.

Unfortunately, not all the local AM stations are shown. The iHeartRadio stations have their own app, and are not shown on the Tesla Tunein app. If Tesla Motors would create or have iHeartRadio create an iHeartRadio app for the Tesla Model S and X touchscreen, then more local AM radio stations would be available.

An excellent work around for those stations is to find your favorite national AM radio shows on an alternative AM station located in any city. It is best to have several of those stations saved as favorites. Some stations are terrible for adding extra commercials and cutting off the national program feed! (NEWS 102.3 KRMG Sand Springs, OK is a good example of adding extra commercials.) So those living in Tulsa, OK can skip that mess and choose another city to enjoy the show. Part of the fun of Tunein is to find those alternatives and save them as favorites. This is much easier at your computer. Create a Tunein account and your station list will follow you with the smart phone and the Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
It does work for the local AM stations that are shown. Thanks for the tip for easy access to the majority of the AM stations in a local area.

Unfortunately, not all the local AM stations are shown. The iHeartRadio stations have their own app, and are not shown on the Tesla Tunein app. If Tesla Motors would create or have iHeartRadio create an iHeartRadio app for the Tesla Model S and X touchscreen, then more local AM radio stations would be available.

An excellent work around for those stations is to find your favorite national AM radio shows on an alternative AM station located in any city. It is best to have several of those stations saved as favorites. Some stations are terrible for adding extra commercials and cutting off the national program feed! (NEWS 102.3 KRMG Sand Springs, OK is a good example of adding extra commercials.) So those living in Tulsa, OK can skip that mess and choose another city to enjoy the show. Part of the fun of Tunein is to find those alternatives and save them as favorites. This is much easier at your computer. Create a Tunein account and your station list will follow you with the smart phone and the Tesla vehicle.

We just picked up our Model X on Thursday and started to try and learn how to operate it just today. We are appalled that there is no AM radio!!! We regularly listen to several stations in Chicago. As a very non-tech oriented person, I am confused and annoyed by the 'solutions' that people are suggesting here on this forum. For a car that costs so much, this choice of Tesla to not have an easy way to listen to AM, is extremely disappointing. I will drive my Toyota Sienna as often as I can. The Tesla...well, if I am with others we can talk. I'm not prepared to have to figure out several steps, each time I want to listen to radio. Just absurd. Don't think I would have encourage my spouse to buy this car if I knew this in advance. UGH.

We just picked up our Model X on Thursday and started to try and learn how to operate it just today. We are appalled that there is no AM radio!!! We regularly listen to several stations in Chicago. As a very non-tech oriented person, I am confused and annoyed by the 'solutions' that people are suggesting here on this forum. For a car that costs so much, this choice of Tesla to not have an easy way to listen to AM, is extremely disappointing. I will drive my Toyota Sienna as often as I can. The Tesla...well, if I am with others we can talk. I'm not prepared to have to figure out several steps, each time I want to listen to radio. Just absurd. Don't think I would have encourage my spouse to buy this car if I knew this in advance. UGH.
Couldn't agree more. I loved having the AM radio during my 2 week coast to coast trip a month ago using the Escalade.

In regard to Chicago and HD Radio, there are 4 AM stations listed at Find Stations using the FM HD feature. Look for 670, 780, 890 and 1390 in the upper section and note the FM frequency and HD number to use. You can save the station as a preset or as a favorite. Unfortunately, the FM range may not equal the distance that your AM stations can cover. That is where TuneIn radio can help.

There are 32 AM stations at Chicago - TuneIn Radio if you scroll down the list (look for 560 AM). Create an account on your computer and save the stations you want so they will automatically appear when you logon to TuneIn inside your Tesla. However, if they are on iHeartRadio, then you would need an iPhone or other device to gain access to those stations in the vehicle.

Tesla Motors just doesn't get it when it comes to the low power AM radio stations and higher powered AM information and weather stations that are posted on the large blue signs next to the roads. It could be a safety issue that an AM radio is not included.

To solve the problem, I purchased a small AM radio and an FM transmitter to provide AM usage in Model X. Thankfully, Model S still has AM radio and that will assist me in my decision of what vehicle to sell as I cannot drive two electric cars at the same time.

Last edited:
Can't you just stream your AM stations through TuneIn Radio?

I often listen to the Leaf games on AM radio, so I was slightly upset, but I'm sure I can find internet radio to stream it through the car.
Two problems:

1. Not all AM stations are on TuneIn. The iHeartRadio app is needed for the "missing" internet AM stations. They play on a computer since TuneIn opens a separate iHeartRadio window.

2. The AM stations that exist to broadcast information during travel are not on TuneIn. An AM radio is necessary when the blue signs display the AM frequency to tune to. The small SONY SRF-M37W AM band works in Model X, so IMHO there is no reason that Tesla Motors couldn't get an AM radio manufacturer to assist with a design that could work properly in their vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Two problems:

1. Not all AM stations are on TuneIn. The iHeartRadio app is needed for the "missing" internet AM stations. They play on a computer since TuneIn opens a separate iHeartRadio window.

2. The AM stations that exist to broadcast information during travel are not on TuneIn. An AM radio is necessary when the blue signs display the AM frequency to tune to. The small SONY SRF-M37W AM band works in Model X, so IMHO there is no reason that Tesla Motors couldn't get an AM radio manufacturer to assist with a design that could work properly in their vehicles.
I just need a few Toronto, Ontario (Canada) based stations.... 590, 1050, 640 and 680 - Don't care about the rest.
I <3 my Toronto Maple Leafs .. come on.. bring on the insults about my Leafs...

The TuneIn version of AM670 in Chicago seems to be blacked out for live sports (Cubs). Is the same true for the FM solution Mark Z describes above?

To answer my own question, I confirmed last night that yes, the FM version of AM670 in Chicago (104.3 HD channel 2) broadcasts the Cubs games while the TuneIn version of AM670 is blacked out.