Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this why there's non-brake based torque vectoring on some AWD systems like Acura's SH-AWD? For Tesla's AWD, there is no torque vectoring, correct?

As of now, Tesla has no non break based torque vectoring, not sure how much torque vectoring there is in a Model S. The simplest solution would be two different motors for each axel. But from a safety standpoint brake based torque vectoring is good enough. When it comes to performance, other solutions are better.

Is this why there's non-brake based torque vectoring on some AWD systems like Acura's SH-AWD? For Tesla's AWD, there is no torque vectoring, correct?
Some companies use a special differential which can allow one tire to get more torque on turns to aid turn in. Really only Acura and some S model Audi have it. Subaru WRX uses brake based torque vectoring. Both systems are in addition to traction or stability control and center differentials.

Tesla uses two motors and electronics to control power output to each wheel, braking wheels that slip like traction control. I am not aware of a turning control for handling torque distribution.

I know the MS has an open rear differential, not sure what the front uses.

So AWD will always have better traction than RWD in any kind of road condition (rain, snow, ice, etc.) when equipped with the same winter/ summer tires? I wish Tesla's AWD had torque-vectoring but it chose to focus on AP.
Yes. AWD is better for traction in all situations, with the right tires. The only downsides are weight and complexity.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: internalaudit